Zim’s Grades Week 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades Week 3

DZimmer000

BJJ Black Belt
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
This was a tough spot. Thursday night game on the road. Typically, the road team loses these games. I would say we dominated this one:

QB - A : what can you say about Fitz in this one? 90% completion percentage. Well played all around by Fitz. Easily deserved A here.

RB - B : Solid B for the RB’s here. Gaskin was all over the place in the first half. He had a great run to close it out. Brieda played well and Howard with another touchdown. Nice Job.

WR - B : A solid B here as well. The main issue here though is a lack of separation for our guys. Besides that, Parker while noticeably slowed because of the Hammy, was very good. Williams with a nice TD. Even Grant showed up. If they ever start getting a little space, they’re gonna be tough to stop.

OL - B+ : Very nice job running the ball. Pass pro was good too. The 2 rookies are playing extremely well. What more can you say? Good job here.

TE - A : Great game by the TE’s. Gesicki is turning into the best tight end in the league. Period.

DL - B- : Not bad tonight. We even got some pressure. Who would have thunk it? Still, we got gashed on some runs. And the pressure wasn’t consistent. But that’s a huge improvement over the Bills game.

LB - B : Van Noy was good. You noticed him tonight. Baker was decent and no stupid penalties. Van Ginkel with a sack. Solid effort.

DB - B- : Iggy Biggy Noganny rebounded well for a rookie that got destroyed just 4 days ago. Props to him. X had a pick. The safety play was good. A little to much ground given up pre snap on some plays. Tackling needs to get better as well. But good job by this crew.

ST - A : Sanders was kicking bombs. Hack punted well. Coverage teams were good. Solid A here.

Coaching - A : Very well done by Flores and his coaches. The Defense mixed up coverages, which was refreshing. The offense stuck to the game plan all the way through. I can be a little rough on Flores at times....But not here. Great coaching helped tonight. As for Grier, I have been notoriously tough on him. Well.... I gotta give him credit when it’s due. It’s Due here. The 2 rookie Offensive Lineman look like home runs so far. Kindly is a beast. I’m very impressed. Equally so with Jackson. He’s a stud at LT. Nice job by Grier there.

Great effort by the guys tonight on a short week. It’s gonna make the long weekend even sweeter for sure. 1-2 after 3 which is where a lot of people thought we would be.

Last edited:
Offense A-, stellar 1st half, a little sloppy in 2nd half.

Defense B+, after a discouraging 1st half, they took over the 2nd half. Got a couple of sacks. 2 takeaways. They’ve recovered a fumble in every game now And they’re now even on the season in turnover differential. Still got some stuff to cleanup but way better than last week.

Special Teams A+, not much from either Haack or Sanders because the offense was moving the ball and scoring TDs but they executed when called upon. Sanders nailed his FG and XPs. Nice punt downed inside the 3.

Coaching B- Miami stayed aggressive offensively in the 1st half. Got a 4th down conversion that led to a TD. Didn’t shy away from the run game. Got the ball to their playmakers in Gesicki and Parker. Defense picked it up in 2nd half. Play calling when the field shortens is still a iffy.

This was a tough spot. Thursday night game on the road. Typically, the road team loses these games. I would say we dominated this one:

QB - A : what can you say about Fitz in this one? 90% completion percentage. Well played all around by Fitz. Easily deserved A here.

RB - B : Solid B for the RB’s here. Gaskin was all over the place in the first half. He had a great run to close it out. Brieda played well and Howard with another touchdown. Nice Job.

WR - B : A solid B here as well. The main issue here though is a lack of separation for our guys. Besides that, Parker while noticeably slowed because of the Hammy, was very good. Williams with a nice TD. Even Grant showed up. If they ever start getting a little space, they’re gonna be tough to stop.

OL - B+ : Very nice job running the ball. Pass pro was good too. The 2 rookies are playing extremely well. What more can you say? Good job here.

TE - A : Great game by the TE’s. Gesicki is turning into the best tight end in the league. Period.

DL - B- : Not bad tonight. We even got some pressure. Who would have thunk it? Still, we got gashed on some runs. And the pressure wasn’t consistent. But that’s a huge improvement over the Bills game.

LB - B : Van Noy was good. You noticed him tonight. Baker was decent and no stupid penalties. Van Ginkel with a sack. Solid effort.

DB - B- : Iggy Biggy Noganny rebounded well for a rookie that got destroyed just 4 days ago. Props to him. X had a pick. The safety play was good. A little to much ground given up pre snap on some plays. Tackling needs to get better as well. But good job by this crew.

ST - A : Sanders was kicking bombs. Hack punted well. Coverage teams were good. Solid A here.

Coaching - A : Very well done by Flores and his coaches. The Defense mixed up coverages, which was refreshing. The offense stuck to the game plan all the way through. I can be a little rough on Flores at times....But not here. Great coaching helped tonight. As for Grier, I have been notoriously tough on him. Well.... I gotta give him credit when it’s due. It’s Due here. The 2 rookie Offensive Lineman look like home runs so far. Kindly is a beast. I’m very impressed. Equally so with Jackson. He’s a stud at LT. Nice job by Grier there.

Great effort by the guys tonight on a short week. It’s gonna make the long weekend even sweeter for sure. 1-2 after 3 which is where a lot of people thought we would be.

Just going by hx, it's the HC who gives the OC general directions. In this case, it appeared FLo had Chan playing conservative play calling in 2H. Other than that, good

Just going by hx, it's the HC who gives the OC general directions. In this case, it appeared FLo had Chan playing conservative play calling in 2H. Other than that, good
Yes, we went conservative in the second half, but I agree with the strategy. We were well ahead on the scoreboard and run down the clock, seems pretty sensible to get a needed victory. Conservative play calling isn't pretty to watch but Flo understands it perfectly after all of those years under Belichick.

Yes, we went conservative in the second half, but I agree with the strategy. We were well ahead on the scoreboard and run down the clock, seems pretty sensible to get a needed victory. Conservative play calling isn't pretty to watch but Flo understands it perfectly after all of those years under Belichick.

It's understanding your players as well. When you have a QB who is more prone to turnovers you're going to be more conservative than when you've got a QB you can trust won't make a bonehead play. Love Fitz but his track record doesn't help his cause for being trusted at the end of a game.

I was surprised, when running the clock, RF often called the snap with a lot of time on the clock

The only issue with your comments I have is your statement that Gesicki is turning into the best TE in the league. Gesicki had a total of one catch in the game and he was in on only a little over 50% of the offensive plays last night because they don’t trust him as a blocking TE. To be considered as even one of the better TE in the league, you need more than one catch in a game and you certainly need to be able to block better than Gesicki does at this time.
To me Gesicki is more effective as slot type receiver than as a TE in the NFL.

Last edited:
The only issue with your comments I have is your statement that Gesicki is turning into the best TE in the league. Gesicki had a total of one catch in the game and he was in on only a little over 50% of the offensive plays last night because they don’t trust him as a blocking TE. To be considered as even one of the better TE in the league, you need more than one catch in a game and you certainly need to be able to be block better than Gesicki does at this time.
To me Gesicki is more effective as slot type receiver than as a TE in the NFL.
He didn't seem to be a factor in the game plan second half but I think Miami was really using that second half to work on their running game, which involves more Smythe than Gesicki. In all fairness though, his one catch was a TD and he drew to other PI calls, one in the endzone. There's no question he's a dynamic threat in the passing game.

We looked good against a bad Jaguars team, but hey .... we did look good!

Let's remember these games as our younger players (OL, TE, Iggy) have their typical ups and downs. Gesicki is filling out and gaining a little needed strength, learning the complexities of the TE position (that always take young players a few years), and getting back to playing instinctively and athletically. Austin Jackson has done an outstanding job for a kid who is underaged, building his body physically, and had less time to prepare than a typical rookie and at a position of incredible requirements (LT). Kindley is showing why he was always considered one of the best OL in the SEC and really handling the step up in competition from the SEC to the NFL well. Iggy is having his ups and downs but he did bounce back nicely this week and we need to remember that DB's will get burned and being able to bounce back is more important than being sound as a rookie.

We showed a killer instinct in the first half and demoralized the Jags. In the second half we lost our edge and instead of going for the win we started playing not to lose ... and it almost cost us the game. We need to learn from Coach Flo's mentor, Belichick, and always finish the game. He may run up the score, he may keep players in too long, but he doesn't really leave room for comebacks. We need to learn that lesson. When the gameplan works ... don't abandon it for a crap "prevent" defense!

Conservative play calling makes sense unless you run straight into a stacked box 3 times for 6 yards and punt. I’m not asking for a hail mary but maybe an outside run?

This was my only gripe with the game though. You let a better team than Jax hang around for too long and you lose, we’ve seen that movie too many times. Especially when everything you’ve done offensively up to that point was extremely successful.

We looked good against a bad Jaguars team, but hey .... we did look good!

Let's remember these games as our younger players (OL, TE, Iggy) have their typical ups and downs. Gesicki is filling out and gaining a little needed strength, learning the complexities of the TE position (that always take young players a few years), and getting back to playing instinctively and athletically. Austin Jackson has done an outstanding job for a kid who is underaged, building his body physically, and had less time to prepare than a typical rookie and at a position of incredible requirements (LT). Kindley is showing why he was always considered one of the best OL in the SEC and really handling the step up in competition from the SEC to the NFL well. Iggy is having his ups and downs but he did bounce back nicely this week and we need to remember that DB's will get burned and being able to bounce back is more important than being sound as a rookie.

We showed a killer instinct in the first half and demoralized the Jags. In the second half we lost our edge and instead of going for the win we started playing not to lose ... and it almost cost us the game. We need to learn from Coach Flo's mentor, Belichick, and always finish the game. He may run up the score, he may keep players in too long, but he doesn't really leave room for comebacks. We need to learn that lesson. When the gameplan works ... don't abandon it for a crap "prevent" defense!
Man after the past ten years of prime time games and coaches it was hard to believe we handled an inferior team. These used to be one score games while we screwed around asking the other team to beat us. So at least I know flores can get us up for those games right now. I'll take it after all these years.

RB a B?? Gaskin averaged only 3.0 on 22 carries that's a D by most standards

A case where stats lie. The running game worked very well in the first half in setting the tone. The backs were a big part of the passing game, too. The numbers declined in the second half when we went ultra-conservative, but the outcome wasn't in doubt then.

Back
Top Bottom