Zone Blitz ?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zone Blitz ??

Zeke0123

This is my worried look
Reaction score
I keep hearing/reading about Sabans "Zone Blitz" scheme.. can someone fill me in on exactly what that means ?? It sounds like we wont be doing the same Boring stuff on D that Im used to (we where good but boring imo) Id like to know what I have to look forward to this year :D .

I don't give a damn if the defense puts me to sleep as long as it don't let the other team score :)

Zone blitzing is basically dropping people back into zone coverage to cover open spots caused while other players are blitzing. It is a way to force the QB to throw to what would usually be an open reciever around where the blitzer came from, but then putting another player in zone coverage in that spot.

zeke0123 said:
I keep hearing/reading about Sabans "Zone Blitz" scheme.. can someone fill me in on exactly what that means ?? It sounds like we wont be doing the same Boring stuff on D that Im used to (we where good but boring imo) Id like to know what I have to look forward to this year :D .

Been watching new Englands D the last few years? Its the same thing except we have better talent, they have more younger talent is some cases but the difference to me is that they have Harrison at safety which is huge. If Tebucky can prove he is worth something in this D then we have an equalizer and as you can see, if we get shulters, then we got some ammo. But what I see is more stuff from guys like Roth and JT moving around as opposed to LB's in NE even though we will be using everyone.

Oh, and we will in no way be the same boring defense. We will be more like NE, confusing the opponent and blitzing them like crazy to put pressure on the qb. The offenses will NEVER know what is about to hit them.

outtawack311 said:
Zone blitzing is basically dropping people back into zone coverage to cover open spots caused while other players are blitzing. It is a way to force the QB to throw to what would usually be an open reciever around where the blitzer came from, but then putting another player in zone coverage in that spot.
lol not trying to be an A-Hole or anything but for your sig, thats the New England Patriots....you know them guys who won 3 superbowls in 4 years....yeah them :lol:

Fitz said:
lol not trying to be an A-Hole or anything but for your sig, thats the New England Patriots....you know them guys who won 3 superbowls in 4 years....yeah them :lol:

Is that the same team we beat last year in our home??? No way....I heard about this superbowl champion team...I coulda sworn they were different teams...I mean they were so crappy when they played our defense.... ;)

Fitz said:
I don't give a damn if the defense puts me to sleep as long as it don't let the other team score :)
I feel that way also.. but for the past few years if the team got a good double-team on JT it seemed like the qb would have forever to throw the ball and it would just PISS me off that we never changed it up.

Is it any different from the bills zone blitz that Dick Lebeau implimented and is considered the proponent?

zeke0123 said:
I feel that way also.. but for the past few years if the team got a good double-team on JT it seemed like the qb would have forever to throw the ball and it would just PISS me off that we never changed it up.
Because we played cover two and forced teams to beat our players man to man. That was the complexity of the Miami defense. You had to beat your man to make a play.

outtawack311 said:
Is that the same team we beat last year in our home??? No way....I heard about this superbowl champion team...I coulda sworn they were different teams...I mean they were so crappy when they played our defense.... ;)
yeah one of the 3 teams we beat :rofl3:

a zone blitz is basically bringing a blitzer and dropping someone else into the zone coverage so your bringing someone from a different angle but still have the guys back in a zone... so for example if you blitzed a LB but then dropped one of your DEs back off the line into a zone coverage to confuse the QB... its basically a way to bring guys from all over and keep an O guessing

Megatron said:
Because we played cover two and forced teams to beat our players man to man. That was the complexity of the Miami defense. You had to beat your man to make a play.
Yes and it worked fairly well but it cant be good to do the same the over and over and over...It always seemd like when someone found a weak point in the D the could exploit it ALL game long and we never adjusted that just what I observed but im no expert..obviously ;)

zeke0123 said:
Yes and it worked fairly well but it cant be good to do the same the over and over and over...It always seemd like when someone found a weak point in the D the could exploit it ALL game long and we never adjusted that just what I observed but im no expert..obviously ;)
Beating man to man coverage is all about creating mismatches. You are right though, we would dogedly stay in it even when we were getting killed by mismatches.

Back
Top Bottom