Zonk sees great possibilities in retro running offense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zonk sees great possibilities in retro running offense

Definitely a trend going on. Denver won all those playoff games and the SB w no QB (no disrespect to Peyton but he was so shot). Seattle beat Denver in 2013 w D and running against the Gase high flying 55 TD pass offense. Look at the Vikings - D and running. D / run game has always won the SB (only exception was Rams - Titans) but now I think we will see more playoff teams that get there via ground and pound than years past. By the way, last year's SB featured two great defenses and teams that could run the ball.

the only SB I can think of that featured a high flying offense vs a ground and pound physical team that ended w the offensive team winning was the Rams vs Titans. It's the only one I can recall.

But, that Rams team had a 1,300+ yard rusher who averaged over 5 YPC. They had a dynamic passing game, but Faulk made the offense work.

My earliest memories of Czonka were scary as heck lol.

As a young child sitting in the box seats around the 35-yard line in the Orange Bowl...very close to the field...watching that man run towards us and the sounds of the collisions he initiated...people flying backwards bouncing off of him like he was made of iron...that was some scary stuff to a 4, 5, 6, 7 year old kid.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

But, that Rams team had a 1,300+ yard rusher who averaged over 5 YPC. They had a dynamic passing game, but Faulk made the offense work.

What about when Brees won it in New Orleans?

As a young child sitting in the box seats around the 35-yard line in the Orange Bowl...very close to the field...watching that man run towards us and the sounds of the collisions he initiated...people flying backwards bouncing off of him like he was made of iron...that was some scary stuff to a 4, 5, 6, 7 year old kid.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 AM ----------

They had a great defense that year.

i forgot about that.

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

that was an odd year because the two teams playing were both all about the QB and pass happy. Neither was a great D or running team. That was an odd match up but even if we want to count it I think at best you can say "it happened 1-3 times max".

when the rams won the super bowl the passing game set up the run and marshall faulk was a huge part of that passing game

that's back when he was a 1000 yard rusher and a 1000 yard receiver...back when he was the best player in the league even for a few years there

I dont buy the leagues headed towards ground and pound...Miami finally gets a little taste of a running game and not dumpster fire play on the oline and it's league wide philosophy changes

Zonk's running style= Negan's bat Lucille....

when the rams won the super bowl the passing game set up the run and marshall faulk was a huge part of that passing game

that's back when he was a 1000 yard rusher and a 1000 yard receiver...back when he was the best player in the league even for a few years there

I dont buy the leagues headed towards ground and pound...Miami finally gets a little taste of a running game and not dumpster fire play on the oline and it's league wide philosophy changes

I don't think it will be a league-wide trend, but it will be a continuation of what winning teams (with a few exceptions) have always done.

well its no secret running the ball with success which sets up good looks in the passing game and playing good defense are how you win football games...no doubt

but miamis success in the run game these last 2 weeks comes down to three things for what I see...for starters a much more quality oline play as a unit being one another being implementing a downhill thumper with some run thru contact and some wiggle and 3rd and probably the biggest driver is adam gases showing teams all these different looks by formation and personnel implementation (which even he admitted he was running out of)

scheme formation better oline play and a downhill ball of rolling butcher knives at rb

i'll wait til after I see how this group deals with the jets front but it's possible we have a top 5 oline in football with our starting 5 in tact

I agree, that's why I've been pushing running backs in the draft for years now, and despite Ajayi I'm still pushing Fournette. Running game makes the game easier for everyone.

NFL became a passing league and since Tannehill has been here we've been burning every possible resource we have to build a good passing game around him. Meanwhile the smart teams were snatching up all the quality defensive players ajd run blockers they could.

And now all of a sudden were like, oh yeah, let's start doing that too. This team is always playing catchup.
If the rumors are to be believed, one of the first things Gase determined was that we need stronger players in the middle of the OL. He wanted guards that can manhandle people and blast open interior run lanes.

So pretty much as soon as Gase arrived he identified this and has been working towards making it happen.

The rumor is that he wanted to get rid of Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner and Jamil Douglas in preseason. One of the reasons they were given so much time to fail was because Tannenbaum thought they had potential and would develop. When the 3 were waived, speculation was that Gase got his way.

If true, these are all good positive signs that Gase gets it, and that he is being allowed to build the team properly.

Well in addition to having all of our starters healthy, Gase is using Gray to block as a fullback/tight end, and bringing in Sam Young as an extra tackle. These are Harbaugh style tactics. Combined with man power concepts in the blocking scheme, we become a different team for a series.

Next step, locking in those personnel mismatches with pick-and-choose hurry up offense. Don't let the defenses use those specialized player substitutions, exotic blitzes and unusual pass defense packages.

Make them commit to an 8 man box to stop the run, then play action.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Let's see how we do against this Jets front 7 before we start talking about us changing identity radically. Balt managed a whopping 11 yards against NYJ. They didn't try to run it much, as admittedly their run game is not a feature of their offense, but they were averaging something just north of a yard a carry, which is pitiful.

Richardson, Williams, Maudlin, Harris, Pryor they've got some guys with real run-stuff talent.

If we can run on NYJ, that will be three consecutive decent run defenses we overcame. Then I'll start to think we can go on a run and change our playing mentality permanently.

Some key people have to stay healthy too. Albert, Pouncey, Ajayi in particular. They've all had their multiple injury woes.

Let's see how we do against this Jets front 7 before we start talking about us changing identity radically. Balt managed a whopping 11 yards against NYJ. They didn't try to run it much, as admittedly their run game is not a feature of their offense, but they were averaging something just north of a yard a carry, which is pitiful.

Richardson, Williams, Maudlin, Harris, Pryor they've got some guys with real run-stuff talent.

If we can run on NYJ, that will be three consecutive decent run defenses we overcame. Then I'll start to think we can go on a run and change our playing mentality permanently.

Some key people have to stay healthy too. Albert, Pouncey, Ajayi in particular. They've all had their multiple injury woes.

They have to stay healthy, agreed, but this team has no identity prior to the dominant ground performances.

How is no one talking about what games made zonk crush his tv sets. Lol my bets are definitely on the packers, indy and jags games.

Back
Top Bottom