09' Salary Cap? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

09' Salary Cap?

cant wait for the offseason to fully start. But I would not want B.Edwards in a dolphins uniform people used to hate on chambers and I feel like edwards is a carbon copy of chambers. He drops the ball way to much.

i found a site that lists us at 30.9 mil under the cap

http://www.phinzmania.com/forums/view.php?pg=salarycap

Again, thats my "prelim" cap sheet for 2009. :lol: See earlier post.

If you read the preface on the salary cap I wrote on that website, I currently have 43 contracts on the cap page. That 30.9 million only takes 43 contracts into account. I estimated the 2009 cap to be 123 million. Cap's take the top 51 contracts into count. Usually, the last few top contracts to be counted against the top 51 are minimum salary contracts, like rookies or special teams guys or backups.

I havent accounted for any camp fodder or minor roster signings, which Miami will make a lot of. (When I say fodder or minor contracts, I mean like Anthony Armstrong - 310k, Scorpio Barbers - 310k, Will Billingsley - 310k, Chris Brown - 310k, Joe Cohen - 310k, Lex Hilliard - 310k, Erik Walden - 385k, Matt McChesney - 460k, etc.) I think Miami will make a lot of those minor and camp fodder signings, and releases, and tracking each one of them and updating a minimum contract with another minimum contract is a very tedious job and usually results in no net change on the salary cap.

For comparison and estimating purposes heading into free agency, if you add 8 contracts (which because I am counting 43 contracts, 8 more are needed for the top 51 rule) at about 500k each (estimated minimum salary of camp fodder contracts), thats another 4 million, which would put us about 26 million under the cap if we counted 51 contracts.

There have been a few other media outlets which have put us at 24.5 million under the cap, which is pretty close to my estimated 26 million taking the top 51 rule into account.

Factor in rookie signings and us carrying about 2 million in cap space throughout the season if we needed to make an emergency signing, and we probably have around 20 million to spend in free agency if we wanted to. Thats the number to know.

I usually update my page 4-5 times a year at every major point during the NFL season so check back for updates.

we have around 20 mil now that we signed wake and kilmer i still dont really understand how draft picks are calculated into this

why does the dead cap count? shouldn't it come off for 2009?

Nope. Say you signed a player to a multi year contract and gave him a signing bonus. That bonus is prorated over the duration of the contract for cap purposes.

Say you sign a player for 4 years and 8 million as a bonus, it counts 2 million per year (for 4 years) against the cap (for a total of 8 years).
If you release a guy in the first year of his deal (like McCown) after June 1st, then the 2008 portion of his signing bonus counts against the cap, and the 2009, 2010 and remaining years proration counts towards the 2009 cap. Only his base salary is removed.

Say you trade a player, like Jason Taylor, after June 1st. His 2008 proration still counts against the cap, but the remaining proration all counts against next years cap.

we have around 20 mil now that we signed wake and kilmer i still dont really understand how draft picks are calculated into this

Taking the top 51 contracts into account, we still have about 26 million under the cap.

Where do we go to get a complete list of NFL Team salary cap? How do we know we rank 6th? is there a list out there on nfl.com or espn?

Back
Top Bottom