#12th Pick / Red zone production | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

#12th Pick / Red zone production

cane6

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Good teams score in the redzone, which is why we have sucked over the years. I know people live the 50+ yard TD runs and catches but in reality to consistently win you need to consistently score in the redzone. That's why a premium is placed on big guys that are fast, they are still effective in the redzone. Blazing speed is negated when you are in the redzone.

This is why taking Austin at #12 is plain dumb. Others may not like taking Eifert at 12 but at least have enough football knowledge to understand the NFL is not played like a Madden offense where screens and reverses work on every play.

look at the patriots, packers, saints, Denver last year. You think their offense is good cause they have a deep threat? It's cause the have great QBs who play on offenses that score in the redzone, that means big targets at the WR and TE position.

you wanna take a flyer on Austin in the 2nd round, fine. But I'm tired of the homers that think Austin will miraculously open up our offense. The draft can't get here soon enough.

name one speedy little receiver drafted in the top 15 in the last 20 years that is under 5'9" who has had consistent success. Don't say Welker as they are totally different players and no one even drafted him.

Not quite sure how wanting Austin makes someone a homer but a player that can get YAC also helps red zone production.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Austin is scoring from 40 yards away then we wont have many Redzone situations :).

Either way, our OC gets paid good money to draw up touchdown from inside the 20 using whoever is lined up at that moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a WVU fan who has seen Austin play a great deal, he is the most dynamic and dangerous player I've seen in a long time. The kid is a matchup nightmare for anyone. He has speed to spare and can score from any point on the field at any given time. From the backfield, short passes, punt returns, kickoff returns, the kid is a weapon the likes of which Miami has never had before. He would open the field up and free up Wallace from double-teams because there's no way they could double either of these guys while leaving a LB one-on-one with Keller.

With all of that said, I'd be fine with picking Eifert as I believe he could have a very similar impact. The only difference is that with Austin, you get a guy that can do more than just be a receiving threat.

My hope is that with all the talk of Miami trading up in the 1st is actually about them trading BACK INTO the 1st. Take Austin at 12 and then trade back into the 1st to get Eifert as well. Then the remainder of the draft could be used on the O-Line and Defense.

As a WVU fan who has seen Austin play a great deal, he is the most dynamic and dangerous player I've seen in a long time. The kid is a matchup nightmare for anyone. He has speed to spare and can score from any point on the field at any given time. From the backfield, short passes, punt returns, kickoff returns, the kid is a weapon the likes of which Miami has never had before. He would open the field up and free up Wallace from double-teams because there's no way they could double either of these guys while leaving a LB one-on-one with Keller.

With all of that said, I'd be fine with picking Eifert as I believe he could have a very similar impact. The only difference is that with Austin, you get a guy that can do more than just be a receiving threat.

My hope is that with all the talk of Miami trading up in the 1st is actually about them trading BACK INTO the 1st. Take Austin at 12 and then trade back into the 1st to get Eifert as well. Then the remainder of the draft could be used on the O-Line and Defense.
If this happens mark it down, i will add "Ireland is the Man" to my signature.

I agree.
Would love to see more plays like
[video=youtube;zelYxxc7puA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zelYxxc7puA[/video]
Or
[video=youtube;0aIz0xyv9lc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aIz0xyv9lc[/video]

Austin is the WR version of Pat White. I still don't get the love for him at 12 and think Eifert at 12 is similarly nuts. Ertz in the 2nd plus Keller plus WRs in a good scheme will crank out the TDs. Teams stopped us last year bc we had a poor WR core and could stack the box for a run- not bc of TE. Heck, didn't Fasano have 5TDs? This year will be nice for scoring for us bc of a lot of factors. Mark my prediciton - the 12th pic will not go to a WR or TE. Expect DE or OL if we stay put

Honestly, I would rather have Eifert and Bailey.
We can have both without burning any picks to "move up".

Now that we have Mike Wallace I'd argue that a big bodied receiver or TE would pay more dividends than a speedy little slot receiver.

Tavon Austin and Zach Ertz.

[video=youtube;0AAWC5t0trY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AAWC5t0trY[/video]

[video=youtube;8OPC5Iy-NJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OPC5Iy-NJo[/video]

I don't understand the need to diminish a quality player like Austin to support your wanting to draft Eifert at #12.

Say it's two years ago, and you're a fan of the Bengals. With that first pick, you're locked into A. J. Green, and you DO NOT WANT Julio Jones. I'd be willing to bet serious cash that you can find threads on Bengals boards that have people slamming Jones for being raw and not as polished as Green, for being more injury prone than Green. Basically, I'll bet you'd find a lot of threads putting down Jones as a prospect, because people wanted Green. I'm sure the inverse is true as well. Of course, both players have been studs.

I think there's an excellent chance that both Eifert and Austin become excellent NFL players. You don't have to discredit one to approve of the other. I'm not saying to turn a blind eye to areas of weakness, and if you think one will be a bust, you have every right to believe that. I get the sense, though, that people exaggerate their negative feelings about the guys they simply prefer less than one or two other particular guys.

Back
Top Bottom