#12th Pick / Red zone production | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

#12th Pick / Red zone production

Tyler Eifert and Robert Woods.

[video=youtube;mqJRd3mN01w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqJRd3mN01w[/video]

[video=youtube;RjoKAIomVig]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjoKAIomVig[/video]

Good teams win by stopping other teams in the redzone. Draft pass-rushers early.

J off her doll, I'm not discounting what Austin did in college, he was a highlight reel waiting to happen. But I have yet to see anyone on this board provide examples of a speedy slot receiver having consistent success in the NFL.

Plus keeping in mind we are talking about drafting him at #12, which is a high pick for a slit receiver.

I go back and forth on who I want more -- Eifert or Austin. In another thread I asked what was more rare, the redzone monster that Eifert should become or the big-play threat that Austin seems destined for. Right now, the Dolphins would seem to need Eifert more. But I'm still not sure who I'd rather take.

With Wallace and Austin, Miami would drive defenses crazy. Austin is more that just a slot guy, but even if that's where he makes his living it sure has been a big part of New England's success with Wes Welker. And Austin has that toughness that I like.

As far as Eifert goes, I think he will become a complete tight end once he works on his blocking and certainly should be a quarterback's best friend.

At the end of the day, I believe the Dolphins go in a different direction with either a corner (maybe Trufant) or a pass rusher (Werner, Mingo) taken.

If Austin is scoring from 40 yards away then we wont have many Redzone situations :).

Either way, our OC gets paid good money to draw up touchdown from inside the 20 using whoever is lined up at that moment.

We need a seam busting red zone threat especially at TE, but you can't underestimate what two explosive WRs on the field at the same time will do for an offense. If you've been a Dolfan for a long time, this shouldn't be a new idea.

Mark Duper and Mark Clayton were both 5'9".

Duper was a late 2nd round pick and Clayton was a 8th round pick, which justifies my claim, you don't draft little WR in the top half of the 1st round

Good teams win by stopping other teams in the redzone. Draft pass-rushers early.

We already DO stop teams scoring on us TW. One of the meanest redzone defences in the business. Our problem is scoring TDs. Our 18 points per game average will never ever get us a winning season, for as long as the rules are the way they are. We need to be scoring at least 25 points per game to be relevant and be in the playoffs. 25 is the magic number - that's a TD more than we currently score - EVERY SINGLE GAME we play.

While height isn't the single determinant of how many times you convert redzone visits into TDs, it's a big help. Adding Wallace, Gibson and Keller (while losing Fasano), we haven't addressed that problem - accentuated as CBs and safeties get bigger. Adding Austin in will help between the 20s (where we're already a decent team) but won't do anything much for the our biggest area of need. Cordarrelle Patterson has been dropped like a hot snot by the people on here as an option. I wouldn't call him a redzone guy either, but he can at least line up there.i don't understand why he's been completely abandoned like a leper when he's probably the most ambitious option for our 12 pick.

Even better would be a good joker TE. Eifert is definitely an option at 12 for me and you get the added benefit of decent blocking. But you've got Ertz, Escobar, Gragg, Stoneburner and others who could do a big job for us in the endzone.

Investing in even better defence is a good idea. Build on your strengths. But we need at least a TD more every single game we play. We NEED to fix our endzone problems.

While I do want a stud young TE, I just dont think the fins are going to take one early anymore. Keller will be our starter and they will give Clay and Egnew 1 more year to show they are worth their position in the rotation. Bringing in another young TE at this point will take away opportunities from Clay and Egnew to either breakout or be out next offseason. If either flop I could definatly see us drafting a TE next year at #1.
Chubbs

While I do want a stud young TE, I just dont think the fins are going to take one early anymore. Keller will be our starter and they will give Clay and Egnew 1 more year to show they are worth their position in the rotation. Bringing in another young TE at this point will take away opportunities from Clay and Egnew to either breakout or be out next offseason. If either flop I could definatly see us drafting a TE next year at #1.
Chubbs

This is why I wish they would have been able to land Jared Cook in free agency. Hopefully Egnew and/or Clay develop into consistent playmakers but we can't bank on that. I want Tannehill to have the best options possible right now.

I would like to stay put at 12 and draft a Cornerback or DE. Then trade back in the first round, perhaps the 20's and get Deandre Hopkins. This kid is the best route runner in the draft and has excellent body control. Watch the tape on this kid. Not the burner that Austin is but more of a complete wide receiver. Probably the most complete in the draft. If we don't get him and he's there when the patriots pick, he will be haunting us for years to come. This guy can fake out a secondary like you wouldn't believe.

Back
Top Bottom