2009 NCAA Football Season! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2009 NCAA Football Season!

AirFishOne

3peat Big XII Champs!
Reaction score
Well I've survived YET ANOTHER offseason after a BCS Bowl loss, but the great thing about being an OU fan is knowing there will be plenty more chances!! And now, with the season only 8 short weeks away, I find myself VERY EXCITED - not just for OU - but for college football in general! I mean when was the last time we had three ELITE quarterbacks from the concensus top three teams return to play another year? Throw in that two of them have a Heisman trophy in their respective pockets and you've got the makings of a GREAT season.

I'll be in the stands in the new Cowboys stadium, opening day for the OU/BYU game, wow I cannot wait for this season.

I know the majority on this board are Florida/Miami/FSU fans, let me jus toss out a late congratulations to Florida fans, you guys have a great team, and I dont think I've ever been in awe with a non-OU player like I was with Percy Harvin that night, that fool is incredible and I cant wait to see what he can do with AD in Minnesota!

Anyways, I'd jus like to hear your guys' expectations for your respective teams, good luck to all and Boomer Sooner baby!

First of all.....GREAT THREAD! lol

I'm more of a college football fan than I am an NFL fan.....for numerous reasons.....

Anyway, I'm a Bama guy....and while I expect Florida to win the SEC again this year, I expect Bama to compete for the western division along with Ole Miss and LSU...

Alabama is going to have one of the top 5 defenses in the country IMO....it's the offense that I'm more worried about...

I also like the Canes....going back to the Schnellenberger days.....but I just can't buy into Randy Shannon.....can't do it......

I've seen some bad clock management before....but the end of that bowl against Cal is at least one of the top 2 worst I've ever seen....I was actually embarrassed for Miami....but that's just one example out of many, many more...

I do like the discipline that Shannon tries to install in the program....but he's not a championship caliber coach.....not even close....I've never seen Shannon not get outcoached in a game yet...

I think Miami deserves better.....I really do....I'm not even sure they can crack the top 25 anymore....

Florida and Oklahoma in a rematch for the championship is my prediction.....with Texas getting strong consideration as well....basically I believe whoever wins the Texas/Oklahoma matchup goes on to play Florida for the title...

....but loses...

Roll Tide baby....

First of all.....GREAT THREAD! lol

I'm more of a college football fan than I am an NFL fan.....for numerous reasons.....

Anyway, I'm a Bama guy....and while I expect Florida to win the SEC again this year, I expect Bama to compete for the western division along with Ole Miss and LSU...

Alabama is going to have one of the top 5 defenses in the country IMO....it's the offense that I'm more worried about...

I also like the Canes....going back to the Schnellenberger days.....but I just can't buy into Randy Shannon.....can't do it......

I've seen some bad clock management before....but the end of that bowl against Cal is at least one of the top 2 worst I've ever seen....I was actually embarrassed for Miami....but that's just one example out of many, many more...

I do like the discipline that Shannon tries to install in the program....but he's not a championship caliber coach.....not even close....I've never seen Shannon not get outcoached in a game yet...

I think Miami deserves better.....I really do....I'm not even sure they can crack the top 25 anymore....

Florida and Oklahoma in a rematch for the championship is my prediction.....with Texas getting strong consideration as well....basically I believe whoever wins the Texas/Oklahoma matchup goes on to play Florida for the title...

....but loses...

Roll Tide baby....

Ditto

I'm a PAC-10 guy, myself. Great thread! I'm definately looking forward to some college football. No better way to spend your Saturdays!

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, and yes X-Pac, there is no way better than to spend your Saturdays watching college football!

TedSlimm, I love Alabama (3rd fave team behind OU and Nebraska) more than I hate Nick Saban. I really believe that Alabama will meet Florida again in the SEC title game. I personally think Ole Miss is overated, they cought Florida napping and beat down a Tech team that was SHELL SHOCKED in Norman a few weeks prior.

As for Florida, yes they return every starter except one, and I believe that one may be there ultimate-downfall. Percy Harvin was a special player IMO. If you go back to the title game, 3 things stick out. 1) Florida DB's are best in the country. 2) Tim Tebow didnt outplay Sam Bradford, and maybe even played a tad worse. 3) The player that made that offense click was Percy. This is no dis-respect for Florida, I reconize the greatness in talent they possess, but I really believe that Percy was more important to that offense than Tebow, I would like some Gator fans to voice their opinion as well.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, and yes X-Pac, there is no way better than to spend your Saturdays watching college football!

TedSlimm, I love Alabama (3rd fave team behind OU and Nebraska) more than I hate Nick Saban. I really believe that Alabama will meet Florida again in the SEC title game. I personally think Ole Miss is overated, they cought Florida napping and beat down a Tech team that was SHELL SHOCKED in Norman a few weeks prior.

As for Florida, yes they return every starter except one, and I believe that one may be there ultimate-downfall. Percy Harvin was a special player IMO. If you go back to the title game, 3 things stick out. 1) Florida DB's are best in the country. 2) Tim Tebow didnt outplay Sam Bradford, and maybe even played a tad worse. 3) The player that made that offense click was Percy. This is no dis-respect for Florida, I reconize the greatness in talent they possess, but I really believe that Percy was more important to that offense than Tebow, I would like some Gator fans to voice their opinion as well.

The thing about Ole Miss is, I don't think they're overrated....in fact...I think Houston Nutt is one of the top 5 gameday coaches in the country...especially when it comes to adjustments on the fly....I think he's underrated as a coach...

I knew Ole Miss was going to pound Texas Tech...I called it as soon as the matchup was announced...you can find it one of the threads floating around here from last year....the problem is Ole Miss always manages to throw in a clunker during the season against a team they're supposed to trounce....and I believe that is what will keep them from winning the west this year (are you listening Bobby Petrino?)

I absolutely agree about Harvin.....Florida's offense revolves around Tim Tebow no question....but Percy Harvin is the player that took that offense to another level....

And Tebow did play a tad worse than Bradford in the championship game....you're just not going to score a lot of points on top tier SEC defenses....I don't care how good your offense is...

The thing about Ole Miss is, I don't think they're overrated....in fact...I think Houston Nutt is one of the top 5 gameday coaches in the country...especially when it comes to adjustments on the fly....I think he's underrated as a coach...

I knew Ole Miss was going to pound Texas Tech...I called it as soon as the matchup was announced...you can find it one of the threads floating around here from last year....the problem is Ole Miss always manages to throw in a clunker during the season against a team they're supposed to trounce....and I believe that is what will keep them from winning the west this year (are you listening Bobby Petrino?)

I absolutely agree about Harvin.....Florida's offense revolves around Tim Tebow no question....but Percy Harvin is the player that took that offense to another level....

And Tebow did play a tad worse than Bradford in the championship game....you're just not going to score a lot of points on top tier SEC defenses....I don't care how good your offense is...

I'll admit, I dont know as much about the SEC as I do the Big XII. So your opinion on Ole Miss probably holds more water than mine. I just cant get the picture of the old Jevan Sneed that couldnt complete a junior varsity level pass when he was at Texas in 2006. You are, however, absolutley right about Houston Nutt, great coach.

I'm glad that someone also saw that Tebow didnt outplay Bradford, although I would rather Bradford have the ring.

Since you're also a Husker fan....any word on how Bo Pelini's defense is shaping up thus far throughout the spring and now that we're into summer?

That's been one terrible unit in recent times...lol...(with the exception of Suh of course)

Who's going to be the quarterback? Didn't the guy Pelini have tabbed to start transfer or something?

Since you're also a Husker fan....any word on how Bo Pelini's defense is shaping up thus far throughout the spring and now that we're into summer?

That's been one terrible unit in recent times...lol...(with the exception of Suh of course)

Who's going to be the quarterback? Didn't the guy Pelini have tabbed to start transfer or something?

The Nebraska will definitley be the best in the Big XII North division, which isn't saying much, yes, but it will be a vast improvement from last years squad, which at times was very solid. Pelini is a great coach and I hope he brings back the Nebraska of old because I miss the old Oklahoma/Nebraska rivalry, and also beating down on Missouri in the Big XII champ. game is just getting old :lol:

The word I hear is that the JUCO QB from California Zach Lee will start.

And dont let my Nebraska love fool you, I hope OU destorys them come November :lol:

Yeah the only team the Huskers have to worry about in the north is Kansas IMO.....that offense is still potent....Nebraska is going to have to outscore them to win that game though.....and I think that game is at Kansas too this year?

Yeah the only team the Huskers have to worry about in the north is Kansas IMO.....that offense is still potent....Nebraska is going to have to outscore them to win that game though.....and I think that game is at Kansas too this year?

Yes they get Kansas in Lawrence and Mizzou in Columbia, they also have to travel to Boulder against Colorado, they do get the Sooners at home though. Not to mention they travel to Blacksburgh to kick off the year against Va Tech.

The Huskers road schedule is brutal, if they win 9 games its a great season

Excellent....we "repasintin" the SEC, Pac-10, and Big-12 up in "heya"....lol

All we need is some volunteers for the Big-10, Big East, and ACC to give a "shout out"....:buds:

thanks for the shout out to the gators airfishone. it was a good game for a while, but we just have too many weapons.

if the gators D can stay healthy - and out of trouble - they have a chance of being one of the greatest ever. cannot wait for us to murder the vols next year and put kiffin in his place. every year we lose a big time WR - every year people say we're gonna be in trouble - and every year someone steps up. harvin was fugging amazing though - rushing for over 10 yards a carry in the SEC just doesn't happen.

definitely worried about alabama this year. the D is gonna be sick - and as long as they can get the ball to julio jones the offense should be just fine. the sooners will be great too but i'm not sold on their D just yet.

thanks for the shout out to the gators airfishone. it was a good game for a while, but we just have too many weapons.

if the gators D can stay healthy - and out of trouble - they have a chance of being one of the greatest ever. cannot wait for us to murder the vols next year and put kiffin in his place. every year we lose a big time WR - every year people say we're gonna be in trouble - and every year someone steps up. harvin was fugging amazing though - rushing for over 10 yards a carry in the SEC just doesn't happen.

definitely worried about alabama this year. the D is gonna be sick - and as long as they can get the ball to julio jones the offense should be just fine. the sooners will be great too but i'm not sold on their D just yet.

OU will have the best D-Line in the country, anchored by one of the best players in the country in defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. The Linebackers will be much deeper, and one of the best groups in the country with stud sophomore Travis Lewis coming off the best freshman season ever at OU for linebackers. We will have probably the best CB tandem in the nation (under Florida) with Brian Jackson and Dominique Franks and Quentin Carter returns at the safety spot.

Im confused, prior to the NC game, OU was called soft on defense, and most in the media figured an all-powerful SEC offense would shred OU to pieces. Didnt OU gain ANY respect after holding Florida to their lowest point total last season? Yes, OU lost, however they even surprised me, a diehard Sooner fan, on how good the defense really is.

If offense was the story of the Sooners last year, this year it will be the defense, and last I heard, defense wins championships :wink:

OU will have the best D-Line in the country, anchored by one of the best players in the country in defensive tackle Gerald McCoy. The Linebackers will be much deeper, and one of the best groups in the country with stud sophomore Travis Lewis coming off the best freshman season ever at OU for linebackers. We will have probably the best CB tandem in the nation (under Florida) with Brian Jackson and Dominique Franks and Quentin Carter returns at the safety spot.

Im confused, prior to the NC game, OU was called soft on defense, and most in the media figured an all-powerful SEC offense would shred OU to pieces. Didnt OU gain ANY respect after holding Florida to their lowest point total last season? Yes, OU lost, however they even surprised me, a diehard Sooner fan, on how good the defense really is.

If offense was the story of the Sooners last year, this year it will be the defense, and last I heard, defense wins championships :wink:

don't get me wrong, that group is solid - but i'm just not sold on them quite yet. mccoy and company up front will be sick and your backfield should be a nice compliment but not so sure about those linebackers. not trying to hate by any means - you guys put up a hell of a show in the championship - but i just like your offense a lot more.

i mean, weren't you guys like 68th in total defense last year? not that great, but you guys are still real young. plus you got some nice commitments on that side of the ball, so we'll see. let's just say you guys have been much better in previous years on D. good luck next year man. if you play us again, you'll need it.

Back
Top Bottom