2014 Draft likely to be moved to May, Free Agency before combine | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2014 Draft likely to be moved to May, Free Agency before combine

ha ha...i bet the nba and nhl are ticked the nfl trying to eat into their playoff ratings...
the NBA had their chance, at the end of the hold out they should have played 82 game season and from that point forward had their season start on Christmas and have the playoffs run through june / july when the sports world is dead.

Its only 3 weeks move to the right. It cuts out the gap between end of June and July where nothing happens.

lol at getting No Thanks for just posting news. :lol:

It's the typical ones on this site that try to annoy posters and just make things unpleasant because their lives are meaningless, and have to come on a message board to feel good about themselves. It's rather sad really. lol.

Some people oughta have their Thanks/No Thanks privileges removed. It's literally quite hilarious, yet pitiful, that some people make a mockery of it just to prove a point or an agenda. Hell, I got my own personal invisible-man following me around like a piece of gum on my shoe No Thanking practically everything I post because I called him out on it several months ago. Now he won't even post on these boards! Posters doing the same just for posting news no matter who you are is just as pathetic IMO. Get a ****ing life and grow up people!

This is probably my fault. I e-mailed the NFL and the NFLPA, complaining that all posters had to post about this time of year was the spelling of Phins or Fins, and this needed to be changed. LOL

*Sarcasm ALERT!!!

They have a network year round. They need content. How many times can they show reruns of A Football Life?

Last edited by a moderator:

It did give me a laugh to see them do that though, haha. Oh well, its just meaningless numbers that will be forgotten about!

If they make it so that the kids' finals are done...then it is OK. If not, and they are going to be doing this right in the middle of finals...this is a really bad idea. Most of these kids are going to need that degree...and don't need the distractions during that time. (Of course, they probably don't give a crap...)

I can't believe this aspect isn't more of a concern. The vast majority of players in the draft are seniors, even if juniors often dominate the conversation. I remember when the draft was in late January or early February. When it was pushed forward to late April or early May, a point that was emphasized by the league was it was still early enough to be out of the way before finals and graduation. There were articles focused strictly on that aspect. Of course, this was 35 or 40 years ago. I guess not many of us remember those specifics.

For many years the draft straddled the calendar as it turned to May. It would often be on the same week of the Kentucky Derby. Then as college calendars changed, with the fall semester ending in December rather than carrying over partially into January, the finals and graduation dates were pushed forward, and the draft could be in the way. I distinctly remember this from USC. The USC calendar switched from 1981 and 1982. The draft eligible guys in 1981 still had a month after the draft. Ronnie Lott told me he was able to attend 49ers mini camp and return in time to not miss much school. But in 1982 the draft was on the eve of finals week. The mini camps conflicted. This trend started to be more and more prevalent, and the draft was moved forward to accommodate, to the April 17 range.

Of course, calendars are changing all over the place, with some schools on quarter systems. But overall I don't see how a move to mid May isn't more of a problem than benefit for all the seniors. Goodell probably doesn't give a damn, like everything else. As long as he's out there hugging somebody it doesn't matter if hundreds were otherwise inconvenienced. Keep in mind that lots of kids who aren't drafted don't know for sure that they won't be, and have to prepare in case they are.

Back
Top Bottom