24 years ago today | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

24 years ago today

Finfang

Finheaven is king!!!
Reaction score
It was 1985 and the Dolphins were in the Super Bowl.

My 18th birthday.

I have the game on DVD and I try to watch it once a year. On this day of course.

Palo Alto was not kind to us that day folks. Neither was Roger Craig. Our last SB appearance unfortunately.

To everyone here. We will get back there. :hi5:

Why would you torture yourself by watching that?

You wouldn't understand of course but it is historic for me. If you could even put yourself in my place being it was my 18th birthday and all.

I'm pretty damn sure I'm over it :lol: but the history is great to re-visit.

that was a great, great season that ended horribly in basically a home game for San Fran. ... Miami's 84 team was one of the most dangerous offenses in NFL history ... and Marino's finest season...

unfortunately, that defensive core that carried our heroes through the early 80s was old and tired.... they got beat down in some games down the stretch, including a superb shootout loss vs. the Raiders in the Orange Bowl... 14-2 season, 11-0 start, but we really had to regroup after losses at the Chargers and then LA and Marcus Allen..

we didn't really stand a chance against an all-time great San Fran team... botched some opportunities in the first half... i remember SF had an early fumble that was clear on replay, and the refs kept it with SF .... we lost, 38-16, and only ran the ball 9 times the entire game against a SF defense that was running 6 DBs on first down.... i vividly remember lots of second half Marino sacks and pressures, and the fog rolling in ... it was a nightmare end to a storybook season...

second most disappointing Dolphins loss of all-time for me... second only to the 1992-93 conference championship egg we layed at home to the Bisons...

Russ Francis killed us at tight end. Roger Craig, Tyler and of course Montana were all at their best. Shame the Dolphins 'D' couldn't do it for Dan!

The thing I remember most is the Coke Commercial where Montana buys Marino a Coke and Marino says "next year I'll buy." I am still waiting for that next year. I was 10 years old.

I remember that game perfectly, i was 12 yrs old. Saw it at my house with my folks who had a Super Bowl party. I remember how pissed all my dad's friends were after the game.

EDIT: Happy belated birthday! :up:

Last edited by a moderator:
It was 1985 and the Dolphins were in the Super Bowl.

My 18th birthday.

I have the game on DVD and I try to watch it once a year. On this day of course.

Palo Alto was not kind to us that day folks. Neither was Roger Craig. Our last SB appearance unfortunately.

To everyone here. We will get back there. :hi5:

Hey we are about the same age....I was 19 and in college during Dan's Superbowl.....I remember the comercials with Dan Marino and Joe Montana and I thought this was the start of a Dolphin's Dynasty....but it was the only SB Dan would ever play in. I blame the Dolphin's GM and FO for never getting Dan any help on defense. Tom Olividotti was probably the worst defensive coach this team ever had.....1987 through 1996. :(

Hey we are about the same age....I was 19 and in college during Dan's Superbowl.....I remember the comercials with Dan Marino and Joe Montana and I thought this was the start of a Dolphin's Dynasty....but it was the only SB Dan would ever play in. I blame the Dolphin's GM and FO for never getting Dan any help on defense. Tom Olividotti was probably the worst defensive coach this team ever had.....1987 through 1996. :(

I really thought we would get back to the SB too with that team. It still seems totally unbelievable. Don't even get me started on Olividatti and his bend don't break schemes. How many track meets were we in because we couldn't stop anyone. It seemed like when you put up 30 consistently you would win everytime hell sometimes 45 wasn't enough. So much potential with Danny and nothing to show for it. It is really sad Marino didn't get a ring.

IMHO the biggest reason we lost was cause the Niner's DB's were allowed to mug our receivers. And no, don't care to watch it over and over.

Back
Top Bottom