24 years ago today

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finfang, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Finfang

Finfang Finheaven is king!!!

It was 1985 and the Dolphins were in the Super Bowl.

My 18th birthday.

I have the game on DVD and I try to watch it once a year. On this day of course.

Palo Alto was not kind to us that day folks. Neither was Roger Craig. Our last SB appearance unfortunately.

To everyone here. We will get back there. :hi5:

2. Dolphins7273

Dolphins7273 A True Fan

Why would you torture yourself by watching that?

3. Finfang

You wouldn't understand of course but it is historic for me. If you could even put yourself in my place being it was my 18th birthday and all.

I'm pretty damn sure I'm over it :lol: but the history is great to re-visit.

4. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

and Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play?

5. shaunm000

shaunm000 FinHeaven VIP

Can you send me a copy?

6. dahlmarino

dahlmarino Hating The Jets With A Passion Since '84

That was the first time I saw the Dolphins lose. I had just turned 6.

7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage A True Fan

that was a great, great season that ended horribly in basically a home game for San Fran. ... Miami's 84 team was one of the most dangerous offenses in NFL history ... and Marino's finest season...

unfortunately, that defensive core that carried our heroes through the early 80s was old and tired.... they got beat down in some games down the stretch, including a superb shootout loss vs. the Raiders in the Orange Bowl... 14-2 season, 11-0 start, but we really had to regroup after losses at the Chargers and then LA and Marcus Allen..

we didn't really stand a chance against an all-time great San Fran team... botched some opportunities in the first half... i remember SF had an early fumble that was clear on replay, and the refs kept it with SF .... we lost, 38-16, and only ran the ball 9 times the entire game against a SF defense that was running 6 DBs on first down.... i vividly remember lots of second half Marino sacks and pressures, and the fog rolling in ... it was a nightmare end to a storybook season...

second most disappointing Dolphins loss of all-time for me... second only to the 1992-93 conference championship egg we layed at home to the Bisons...

8. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

24 years ago today i was 3 months old lol

9. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Connoisseur of the Herbage

24 yrs ago i wasnt even a thought.

10. Mccloy12

Mccloy12 Glaswegian Lion

Russ Francis killed us at tight end. Roger Craig, Tyler and of course Montana were all at their best. Shame the Dolphins 'D' couldn't do it for Dan!

11. finfan75

finfan75 Starter

The thing I remember most is the Coke Commercial where Montana buys Marino a Coke and Marino says "next year I'll buy." I am still waiting for that next year. I was 10 years old.

12. FINdestructible

FINdestructible Section 211

I remember that game perfectly, i was 12 yrs old. Saw it at my house with my folks who had a Super Bowl party. I remember how pissed all my dad's friends were after the game.

EDIT: Happy belated birthday! :up:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009
  13. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Hey we are about the same age....I was 19 and in college during Dan's Superbowl.....I remember the comercials with Dan Marino and Joe Montana and I thought this was the start of a Dolphin's Dynasty....but it was the only SB Dan would ever play in. I blame the Dolphin's GM and FO for never getting Dan any help on defense. Tom Olividotti was probably the worst defensive coach this team ever had.....1987 through 1996. :(

14. Finfang

I really thought we would get back to the SB too with that team. It still seems totally unbelievable. Don't even get me started on Olividatti and his bend don't break schemes. How many track meets were we in because we couldn't stop anyone. It seemed like when you put up 30 consistently you would win everytime hell sometimes 45 wasn't enough. So much potential with Danny and nothing to show for it. It is really sad Marino didn't get a ring.

15. Kadiddlehopper

Kadiddlehopper Charter Member of the Dolphin's Fan Club

IMHO the biggest reason we lost was cause the Niner's DB's were allowed to mug our receivers. And no, don't care to watch it over and over.

16. KippyIA1354

KippyIA1354 Home of the ONE and ONLY PERFECT TEAM!

Good Ol' Days!!

I was 14 and I was never so pissed at the Dolphins D. They simply could not tackle!! So many missed tackles!!The Niners simply ran right at rookie Jay Brophy who just wasn't up to the task or the NFL for that matter. I still can't believe it's been 24 years ago.In 1985, I was at Roosevelt junior high school in Altoona,Pa I remember I didn't have school the next day because it was too cold... lucky for me I had a day to get over the heartache before I had to go back to the wolves where all my friends were Steeler fans!!

17. Dolphins3

Dolphins3 Scout Team

It was Diet Pepsi

18. Dolphins3

Dolphins3 Scout Team

1994 Division round loss to San Diego was tougher for me to take (oddly) than the 1992 loss to Buffalo. That Buffalo team wa svery good. The Chargers were inferior to us that year. It should have been us at home against SF in Supe XXIX (we would have beaten Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh fo rthe conference title. It was January but the temp the day of the AFC title game was in the 50's and Pittsburgh's secondary was suspect (Woodson was a great player...I couldn't stand him but he was great)

19. marinotoclayton

marinotoclayton Pro Bowler

If you think that was bad. Try to imagine my situation. My team has always been the dolphins. Yet in some way I was rooting for Roger Craig to do good. Because he went to the same school I did in high school In Iowa.

Kind of hard not to root for him since he was never really a featured back at Nebraska where he went to college. But never the less it still hurt when they were running all over us.