30 for 30 - Elway to Marino | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

30 for 30 - Elway to Marino

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Everytime I watch anything to do with Dan and his career, I feel this pit in my stomach. While Shula was a great coach, his personnel decisions left something to be desired. I think it was '93 when he got all these offensive FAs to help Marino out, but the only problem was the fact that we needed defensive help. I think it is almost criminal that they held on to Olivadotti and wasted the prime years of Dan career with a DC that was totally inept and forced the offense to win most games because we could not hold a lead. I just hope Dan memories do not fad over time because of his lack of winning the SB. I think the argument that he is a lesser figure in the history of the league because he did not win the SB is absurd. It just makes me sad when I think that the greatest QB I have ever seen has got that cloud hanging over his head.

I always try to imagine what he would be if he played in today's league (as in he was young again). It truly is a shame that he never won a superbowl because his legacy was in his crazy numbers. Now, future generations will look at those numbers and think nothing of it because of the way the game is played.

I wish Marino was just a few years younger. By the time the defense really started to blossom in the late '90s, he was getting older.

It sad indeed, what should have been....could have been....might have been.... If Danny could have had the Killer B's Defense while he was at his prime....ohhh man!!

Anytime I try to watch this ****ing 30 for 30 someone or something pulls me away and then it isn't ever on again when I can actually watch it. Two nights ago there was five 30 for 30 on in a row do ya think this could have been one of them.........nooooooo!!!

Damn it.

Five words for you - "Bill Arnsparger vs Tom Olivadotti".

IMO, if Arnsparger stayed in Miami, Marino would have won multiple SBs. It is as simple as that. Look at Shula's time in Miami. When Arnsparger was his DC, the defense was great.

BTW, compare Shula's record with and without Arnsparger. The results are staggering. If you total the wins and losses in the regular season and playoffs with and without Arnsparger (I added a "halo" year at the end of each Arnsparger term to account for his influence). It also happens to divide Shula's 26 years exactly in half.

With:
13 seasons
Regular season - 140 wins, 47 losses, 2 ties, 75% winning percentage.
Playoffs - 13 wins, 9 losses, 59% winning percentage. 5 SB appearances, 2 SB wins

Without:
13 seasons
Regular season - 117 wins, 86 losses, 0 ties, 58% winning percentage.
Playoffs - 4 wins, 5 losses, 44% winning percentage. 0 SB appearances

BTW, without the added "halo" years. the results are only a bit different:

With:
11 seasons
Regular season - 115 wins, 42 losses, 2 ties, 73% winning percentage.
Playoffs - 11 wins, 7 losses, 61% winning percentage. 4 SB appearances, 2 SB wins

Without:
15 seasons
Regular season - 142 wins, 91 losses, 0 ties, 61% winning percentage.
Playoffs - 6 wins, 7 losses, 46% winning percentage. 1 SB appearances, 0 SB wins

Last edited by a moderator:
It was actually one of my least favorite 30 for 30s. Thought it was really boring. 95% of it was about Elway and the rest of the draft... very little about Danny boy.

I wish Marino was just a few years younger. By the time the defense really started to blossom in the late '90s, he was getting older.

I wouldn't say blossom in the late 90's when the last game as a 62-7 playoff loss.

It was actually one of my least favorite 30 for 30s. Thought it was really boring. 95% of it was about Elway and the rest of the draft... very little about Danny boy.

Agreed. But lets be honest, Marino wasn't the first pick in the draft. It took a long time to get to his story due to everything else going on in that draft, along with the Elway mess.

It was a very good 30 for 30, as they all are, and it was amazing how they recreated the draft room. It just sucked from our fandom standpoint because Marino was really only a major part of it in title.

I wouldn't say blossom in the late 90's when the last game as a 62-7 playoff loss.

For the most part. Put a prime Marino on some of those late '90s/early '00s team and the sky is the limit (though to be fair, we'd have to let some guys go to stay under the cap).

My favorite line in the entire show was when they talked about the Dolphins draft room and someone said I think we should trade up for Ken O'Brien, get him before the Jets can. Don Shula was quoted as saying "I don't want a sh*t quarterback I want Dan Marino"

Yep Olivadotti is the top guy in my Dolphin's Hall of Shame...right above Parcells and Sparano.

My favorite line in the entire show was when they talked about the Dolphins draft room and someone said I think we should trade up for Ken O'Brien, get him before the Jets can. Don Shula was quoted as saying "I don't want a sh*t quarterback I want Dan Marino"

I actually think Shula said "I dont want "A" quarterback I want effin Marino." Which means other than Elway Shula only wanted Marino.

A= any

I was only like 15 when tht game happened but I remember it being mostly the fault of the offense, with like 3 fumbles from Marino and some very lazy play from the o-line. Wasn't that the game that they strip sacked Dan and then recovered it, stood there dancing at the 10 yard line then got pushed into the endzone by his teammates as the Fin players looked completely lost? I was in tears at the end of the 1st with them down 28-0.

Imagine Dan playing with his 80's offence (plus Czonka,Kiick, and Mercury as his running backs) along with the No-Name D of the 70's.... Now that would be a dream team for all times.....

Back
Top Bottom