30 for 30 - Elway to Marino

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, May 9, 2013.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Everytime I watch anything to do with Dan and his career, I feel this pit in my stomach. While Shula was a great coach, his personnel decisions left something to be desired. I think it was '93 when he got all these offensive FAs to help Marino out, but the only problem was the fact that we needed defensive help. I think it is almost criminal that they held on to Olivadotti and wasted the prime years of Dan career with a DC that was totally inept and forced the offense to win most games because we could not hold a lead. I just hope Dan memories do not fad over time because of his lack of winning the SB. I think the argument that he is a lesser figure in the history of the league because he did not win the SB is absurd. It just makes me sad when I think that the greatest QB I have ever seen has got that cloud hanging over his head.

2. Dfootball11

Dfootball11 Starter

I always try to imagine what he would be if he played in today's league (as in he was young again). It truly is a shame that he never won a superbowl because his legacy was in his crazy numbers. Now, future generations will look at those numbers and think nothing of it because of the way the game is played.

3. Oronde

Oronde Well-Known Member

I wish Marino was just a few years younger. By the time the defense really started to blossom in the late '90s, he was getting older.

4. PHINSfan

PHINSfan FinHeaven VIP

It sad indeed, what should have been....could have been....might have been.... If Danny could have had the Killer B's Defense while he was at his prime....ohhh man!!

5. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

Anytime I try to watch this ****ing 30 for 30 someone or something pulls me away and then it isn't ever on again when I can actually watch it. Two nights ago there was five 30 for 30 on in a row do ya think this could have been one of them.........nooooooo!!!

Damn it.

6. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Five words for you - "Bill Arnsparger vs Tom Olivadotti".

IMO, if Arnsparger stayed in Miami, Marino would have won multiple SBs. It is as simple as that. Look at Shula's time in Miami. When Arnsparger was his DC, the defense was great.

BTW, compare Shula's record with and without Arnsparger. The results are staggering. If you total the wins and losses in the regular season and playoffs with and without Arnsparger (I added a "halo" year at the end of each Arnsparger term to account for his influence). It also happens to divide Shula's 26 years exactly in half.

With:
    13 seasons
    Regular season - 140 wins, 47 losses, 2 ties, 75% winning percentage.
    Playoffs - 13 wins, 9 losses, 59% winning percentage. 5 SB appearances, 2 SB wins

Without:
    13 seasons
    Regular season - 117 wins, 86 losses, 0 ties, 58% winning percentage.
    Playoffs - 4 wins, 5 losses, 44% winning percentage. 0 SB appearances

BTW, without the added "halo" years. the results are only a bit different:

With:
    11 seasons
    Regular season - 115 wins, 42 losses, 2 ties, 73% winning percentage.
    Playoffs - 11 wins, 7 losses, 61% winning percentage. 4 SB appearances, 2 SB wins

Without:
    15 seasons
    Regular season - 142 wins, 91 losses, 0 ties, 61% winning percentage.
    Playoffs - 6 wins, 7 losses, 46% winning percentage. 1 SB appearances, 0 SB wins

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
  7. Slim

Slim VIPeezy

It was actually one of my least favorite 30 for 30s. Thought it was really boring. 95% of it was about Elway and the rest of the draft... very little about Danny boy.

8. Heisenphin

Heisenphin formally known as CANEPHINS

I wouldn't say blossom in the late 90's when the last game as a 62-7 playoff loss.

9. Heisenphin

Heisenphin formally known as CANEPHINS

Agreed. But lets be honest, Marino wasn't the first pick in the draft. It took a long time to get to his story due to everything else going on in that draft, along with the Elway mess.

It was a very good 30 for 30, as they all are, and it was amazing how they recreated the draft room. It just sucked from our fandom standpoint because Marino was really only a major part of it in title.

10. Oronde

Oronde Well-Known Member

For the most part. Put a prime Marino on some of those late '90s/early '00s team and the sky is the limit (though to be fair, we'd have to let some guys go to stay under the cap).

11. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

My favorite line in the entire show was when they talked about the Dolphins draft room and someone said I think we should trade up for Ken O'Brien, get him before the Jets can. Don Shula was quoted as saying "I don't want a sh*t quarterback I want Dan Marino"

12. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Yep Olivadotti is the top guy in my Dolphin's Hall of Shame...right above Parcells and Sparano.

13. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

I actually think Shula said "I dont want "A" quarterback I want effin Marino." Which means other than Elway Shula only wanted Marino.

A= any

14. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

I was only like 15 when tht game happened but I remember it being mostly the fault of the offense, with like 3 fumbles from Marino and some very lazy play from the o-line. Wasn't that the game that they strip sacked Dan and then recovered it, stood there dancing at the 10 yard line then got pushed into the endzone by his teammates as the Fin players looked completely lost? I was in tears at the end of the 1st with them down 28-0.

15. JJW1339

JJW1339 OLD SCHOOL

Imagine Dan playing with his 80's offence (plus Czonka,Kiick, and Mercury as his running backs) along with the No-Name D of the 70's.... Now that would be a dream team for all times.....

16. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

Also I am assuming Shula would have taken Elway if we had the number one pick that year,but Shula has enough Kahoonies if he were to like Marino as much as he did would have taken him at #1 over Elway but dont think we'll ever know that for sure.

17. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I wasn't watching it just for the stuff on Marino, and it's one of my favorite 30 for 30 episodes. The U (not a UM fan) and the Bo Jackson films are right at the top too. Probably a couple that I'm not remembering. Run Ricky Run is my least favorite - not that I had any issue with anything said, etc., just that I didn't find it interesting or especially well done.

18. coalesce

coalesce Dolphin Fan since 1974

I thought it was a terrific show, especially the recreation of the draft room. It was also a nice touch putting in the Jets fan rationalization of picking O'Brien over Marino. I don't think it was too much Elway, because what he did in 1983 was unprecedented and deserved the attention. And it is beyond a shame that Marino didn't always have the talent around him to take that next step.

Also, people tend to forget (Up)Chuck Studley's role in holding back Marino. From 1984-1986, Marino, Duper and Clayton were in their prime, and the defense just got worse and worse and worse. Olivadotti at least turned it around in fits and starts, but it's hard to make a top-10 defense when the front office keeps giving you Eric Kumerows and Bud Browns to rebuild with. How the front office got away with some of their personnel decisions during that time is almost criminal. I know not every pick is going to turn out to be a John Offerdahl, but jeez, what were they LOOKING at when some of these players were chosen?

Michael

19. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

just watched this for the first time. I thought it was excellent.

20. josekareh

josekareh Finfansince75

Elway was - is - will always be a queer

21. AquaInferno

AquaInferno Pro Bowler Donator

:lol: Ooooookay...?