30 for 30 - Elway to Marino | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

30 for 30 - Elway to Marino

Also I am assuming Shula would have taken Elway if we had the number one pick that year,but Shula has enough Kahoonies if he were to like Marino as much as he did would have taken him at #1 over Elway but dont think we'll ever know that for sure.

I wasn't watching it just for the stuff on Marino, and it's one of my favorite 30 for 30 episodes. The U (not a UM fan) and the Bo Jackson films are right at the top too. Probably a couple that I'm not remembering. Run Ricky Run is my least favorite - not that I had any issue with anything said, etc., just that I didn't find it interesting or especially well done.

I thought it was a terrific show, especially the recreation of the draft room. It was also a nice touch putting in the Jets fan rationalization of picking O'Brien over Marino. I don't think it was too much Elway, because what he did in 1983 was unprecedented and deserved the attention. And it is beyond a shame that Marino didn't always have the talent around him to take that next step.

Also, people tend to forget (Up)Chuck Studley's role in holding back Marino. From 1984-1986, Marino, Duper and Clayton were in their prime, and the defense just got worse and worse and worse. Olivadotti at least turned it around in fits and starts, but it's hard to make a top-10 defense when the front office keeps giving you Eric Kumerows and Bud Browns to rebuild with. How the front office got away with some of their personnel decisions during that time is almost criminal. I know not every pick is going to turn out to be a John Offerdahl, but jeez, what were they LOOKING at when some of these players were chosen?

Michael

Back
Top Bottom