A Little Off Topic - What do you think of player celebrations? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Little Off Topic - What do you think of player celebrations?

I was just reading an article where Brian Urlacher was saying that he doesn't like Cam Newton's celebrations. While I understand his sentiment since he was a defensive player, I'm not sure he should have singled out Cam. There are many players on both sides of the ball that have over-the-top celebrations for making simple plays. I have found myself yelling at the TV many times to "shut up and get back in the huddle with your teammates" when a player makes a sack, makes a first down or an otherwise routine play. So many of these guys run away from their teammates so the cameras will only capture them and their celebration rather than the teammates celebrating with him or, in the case of overdoing it, telling him to knock it off.

I recall Walter Payton and Barry Sanders just handing the ball back to the official and joining their teammates. There were stories about how Payton, no matter how hard he got hit, he would bounce back up just to show the defensive player that it didn't phase him and then tell the QB to take his time calling the play so he can catch his breath and gather his thoughts.

What do you think? Act like you have been there before or let them continue with the celebrations?

I love it. Let them have fun and let it piss off the other team and fans (and further fuel the rivalries). The celebrations and arrogance of the Bills used to piss me off and is why I still hate them to this day, but it's good for football.

It all depends, if you are down by three touchdowns and you get a sack, maybe you shouldnt celebrate.

I love them. It's a game. Games are fun. People celebrate when they're having fun. It's ridiculous how the media treats sports with such reverence.

My thought process is, if you don't like it, don't let him get in the end zone.

Cam Newton embodies what many "white" people think of the hiphop/"black" culture, and honestly, it scares them and it is offending that somebody "like that" can be the MVP of the NFL at a postion that has always been dominated by white people who in "their" minds, do it the "right" way. Discount Double Check certainly didn't garner this type of attention . . . darken him up a bit and you would of seen some similar reactions towards him.

That is exactly why Cam is being singled out and it is being made a big deal of. We certainly have come a ways when it comes to race in this country but there is a certain naiveness amongst Americans in general when it comes to the thinking that race "is not" a big deal anymore. That is absolutely false, whether in a direct or indirect form. When perceived stereotypes are being displayed for millions to watch . . . it becomes a national issue.

All these guys are ****y as hell . . . Brady, Rodgers, Rivers . . . and yes Cam Newton. So what? It's fun and brings a certain edge to the game and is BELOVED by the fans of those teams.

Which is why it would of been fun to see Brady and the Patriots go up against Cam Newton. Brady and the Patriots are universally hated outside of the New England area . . . it would of been polarizing to see how many people would of been rooting for New England just because of Cam Newton. With Peyton Manning, it is easy to root for the old guy and I expect the "peoples pick" will have the majority of people rooting for the Broncos (except for most black people).

Which brings up another point, this is a two way street, black people are also very racist, they have the tendency to only back people of their own color because of this perceived notion that those are the only ones that "have their back". Just a bunch of **** and a convenient excuse to continue to do bull**** in their own communities and to be outraged when something happens involving another race (specifically white people).

In all honestly, the best hope, sad to say, is watching these older black and white people die off, with the continued mixing of races and eventually this will be contained to a level that will be considered "not a big deal". Sure, you will still have racism, but I think the levels of racism will be at such a tolerable level that you will be outkast like the gays and blacks of yesteryear if you choose to be racist.

PREACH

enhanced-buzz-13704-1404338176-33.jpg

My personal experiences are just an example of how people can be indirectly racist w/o not necessarily having that intent . . . it is to counter the talk that comes up that "it has nothing to do with being black".

Cam has been dealing with indirect and direct shots for years now . . it is only taking center stage now because the guy is the MVP of the league and Carolina is in the Super Bowl. He's taking the bull by the horns on this . . . not saying I necessarily agree with his approach but hell that is today's society . . . he has an open forum to speak on the stuff he's been through and by god he's gonna speak on it. Good for him.

:lol: and Good for Carolina and Cam on celebrating . . . damn team was 15-1, clearly the most dominant team in the NFL this year and didn't get proper respect until they jumped out 31-0 on Seattle . . . that team deserves to celebrate, nobody had them sniffing this spot they are in.

Listen, race plays a roll here because of what people perceive Cam Newton to be. I'm at the bar watching football games and I heard an older white gentleman say out loud "look at that Cam Newton . . . what a thug" . . . I've gotta tell you, that may as well come off as . . . look at that "n word" . . . but then the argument then becomes, I like black people, I have black friends its not about his skin color.

Truth is, we'll never know someone's true intention unless that person "slips" . . . hell the Clippers owner slipped . . . its just society man, I can't explain it any further. You can choose to feel like we live in a world where racism doesn't exist . . . thats a great place to be in, we should all be fortunate enough to live in that type of world one day.

Cam is "classless" and a "thug." Meanwhile, Gronk can party his ass off on the field and it's okay. :lol: But remember, YOU'RE the real racist. Tom Brady curses at refs and teammates and he's a "fiery leader." Brett Favre can celebrate on the field after a big play and he "looks like a big kid out there having fun." He really "loves the game." Dan Marino screams at his teammates and he's a "true leader, field general." Jared Allen celebrates after a sack and it's cool. J.J. Watt, the backup QB for the Cardinals, Carson Palmer, etc etc etc... Richard Sherman is excited seconds after a huge play HE made to send his team to the superbowl and he's a "thug."

And the list goes on...

Just remember boys and girls, it's never ever ever ever about race. Let's all dig our heads in the sand.

My thought process is, if you don't like it, don't let him get in the end zone.

Cam Newton embodies what many "white" people think of the hiphop/"black" culture, and honestly, it scares them and it is offending that somebody "like that" can be the MVP of the NFL at a postion that has always been dominated by white people who in "their" minds, do it the "right" way. Discount Double Check certainly didn't garner this type of attention . . . darken him up a bit and you would of seen some similar reactions towards him.

That is exactly why Cam is being singled out and it is being made a big deal of. We certainly have come a ways when it comes to race in this country but there is a certain naiveness amongst Americans in general when it comes to the thinking that race "is not" a big deal anymore. That is absolutely false, whether in a direct or indirect form. When perceived stereotypes are being displayed for millions to watch . . . it becomes a national issue.

All these guys are ****y as hell . . . Brady, Rodgers, Rivers . . . and yes Cam Newton. So what? It's fun and brings a certain edge to the game and is BELOVED by the fans of those teams.

Which is why it would of been fun to see Brady and the Patriots go up against Cam Newton. Brady and the Patriots are universally hated outside of the New England area . . . it would of been polarizing to see how many people would of been rooting for New England just because of Cam Newton. With Peyton Manning, it is easy to root for the old guy and I expect the "peoples pick" will have the majority of people rooting for the Broncos (except for most black people).

Which brings up another point, this is a two way street, black people are also very racist, they have the tendency to only back people of their own color because of this perceived notion that those are the only ones that "have their back". Just a bunch of **** and a convenient excuse to continue to do bull**** in their own communities and to be outraged when something happens involving another race (specifically white people).

In all honestly, the best hope, sad to say, is watching these older black and white people die off, with the continued mixing of races and eventually this will be contained to a level that will be considered "not a big deal". Sure, you will still have racism, but I think the levels of racism will be at such a tolerable level that you will be outkast like the gays and blacks of yesteryear if you choose to be racist.

I dont like Cams celebrations as much as I dont like Rogers celebrations. What a ****ball postt!!! That is why they should all react like Payton, Brown, Swann, Warfield, Csonka and more recently Sanders did. ALL celebrations disrespect the opposing team, and the other players - and they shouldnt be allowed.

Don't like it? Don't let it happen.

Let baseball have the monopoly on being archaic, outdated and having a bunch of guys getting their feelings hurt over a guy acting too excited.

Not a fan of the excessive celebrating. Never have been, never will be. It certainly doesn't keep me up at night....but I come from an era of not doing anything to disrespect your opponent.

Someone mentioned baseball being boring above. Well, in baseball, you hit a homerun and sit there and act like an idiot....and you know what happens....the next batter up gets a fastball in his ear. It is self policing and all the players understand how it works.

All the drama about this being a racial issue is absurd. I could care less about the guys ethnicity.....I applaud Newton for giving footballs to kids in the stands after every score....classy move! The superman stuff.....ridiculous and definitely not something I would do or condone.

I love them. It's a game. Games are fun. People celebrate when they're having fun. It's ridiculous how the media treats sports with such reverence.

If it were a game, these guys wouldn't be making, even guaranteed more in a year than most fans make in a lifetime. IMO it's a business and like any other business, the well-compensated upper echelon employees should conduct themselves with reasonable class and decorum you'd expect in a business environment regardless of race or ethnicity.. with maybe a few high 5's and then back to business.

Given my perfect world scenario doesn't exist, I have no problem with Cam or Rodgers with their over the top celebrations so long as they don't involve taunting... nor should I. Some celebrations, like TO whipping out a magic marker to autograph a ball were well conceived, choreographed, clever and entertaining. Others like the discount doublecheck and the superman shticks not so much. Gastineau should have had the crap kicked out of him.

So long as they're all celebrating, it's unfair to pick on Cam.. I just wish they all framed their successful exploits with more businesslike class. But that's a personal preference.

Cam is "classless" and a "thug." Meanwhile, Gronk can party his ass off on the field and it's okay. :lol: But remember, YOU'RE the real racist. Tom Brady curses at refs and teammates and he's a "fiery leader." Brett Favre can celebrate on the field after a big play and he "looks like a big kid out there having fun." He really "loves the game." Dan Marino screams at his teammates and he's a "true leader, field general." Jared Allen celebrates after a sack and it's cool. J.J. Watt, the backup QB for the Cardinals, Carson Palmer, etc etc etc... Richard Sherman is excited seconds after a huge play HE made to send his team to the superbowl and he's a "thug."

And the list goes on...

Just remember boys and girls, it's never ever ever ever about race. Let's all dig our heads in the sand.

Why did you not mention a single black player that doesn't get grief after a celebration? Never read one work about Cam Wake's dance. Nor Jared Odrick's Pee Wee dance or many, many others.

Why did you not mention any white players that have gotten grief? Johnny Manziel's money sign?

I don't have a problem with Cam's celebrations. I do have a problem with the assumption of racism.

I think the bigger component of the backlash against Cam Newton is the self aggrandizing. He refers to himself as Superman and started doing it before he was even remotely super. I don't have a problem with that either but some do, both blacks and whites.

Is some of it racism? I'm sure it is. I resent the assumption that all of it is.

I think big play celebrations are ok. Sack celebrations are ok, to a point.

My biggest thing when I played football, is that you can do whatever you want to do.

When I get my chance, and angle, anything. I will make you pay for all your transgressions
against me.

I think big play celebrations are ok. Sack celebrations are ok, to a point.

My biggest thing when I played football, is that you can do whatever you want to do.

When I get my chance, and angle, anything. I will make you pay for all your transgressions
against me.

I just like the fact that Denver players were trying to tea bag Tom Brady when to knocked him down last week!

Now that's a sack!

Back
Top Bottom