A major objective of Miami Dolphins’ offseason has been to put together a smarter team Read more he

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MDFINFAN, May 9, 2017.

1. MDFINFAN

MDFINFAN Reach for the Stars Super Donator Donator

2. Digital

Digital Starter

Wow, I wonder if they were referring to Damien Williams (who does the running out of bounds thing when he should stay in bounds) when they wrote this? Overall I'd agree that Asiata, McMillan, Harris and Ford seem to have it. But, I'll reserve judgement on Tankersley, Taylor and Godchaux.

I do like that we intend to move to a smarter team. Shula won a lot of games by coaching smart players to do the right things in the right circumstances. Bill Arnsparger got the most out of his defenses by getting smart people to play within the scheme. Belichick gets a lot of mileage out of getting his guys to learn and execute sound assignment football. Those are some pretty good examples of one way to get a competitive edge in this era of parity.

psfign and royalshank like this.
  3. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 Well-Known Member

I think it has to do with Landry aswell.

royalshank and HeavenCent like this.
  4. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

This article might be interesting, especially for the SPARQ proponents who were disappointed with some of our draft selections on athletic grounds. It's heavily implied that the #1 trait the Dolphins were looking for with off-season acquisitions was football intelligence.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article149513349.html

5. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Well I like the picks from a need position stand point, a realitive injury free history standpoint plus a history of solid performance at the college level. This article just makes the draft look that much sweeter

6. Michigan Mike

Michigan Mike FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

The biggest improvement in the "smarts department" I would like to see is the elimination of most of the before and after the whistle penalties. Way too many of these either extended the opponents drives or killed our own. I like the fire that Landry plays with but sometimes you need to keep your head and not do something stupid to get penalized. That was the biggest reason I didn't mind seeing Olivier leave for the huge contract the Giants gave him.

psfign, Namor and gunn34 like this.
  7. mithga13

mithga13 Well-Known Member

I like this, draft talent no doubt, but you have to have guys that will do what they are supposed to do or the whole thing breaks down.
    And you end up with numerous big plays in a road playoff game to get blown out. 5 yard TFL's are nice, but we need dlineman that can make stops at the line rather than leave holes. We need linebackers and safeties that can make tackles even giving up a few feet rather than whiff and give up 30 YAC. A pulling guard or center not making the right read in a secondary block is often the difference between a 6 yard run and a 25 yard run.
    Pats have preached football IQ for years above all else. Receivers need to catch the ball, or the athletecism means nothing. Brady makes a living off 5 or 7 yard passes that are always caught moving forward by receivers that run good routes and don't drop the ball.
    I hate preaching NE football, but when you've been to the Super Bowl 7 times in 16 years, there is no other standard worth mentioning.

NorFlaFin likes this.
  8. Dolphindrew

Dolphindrew Starter

Fairly certain this is the main advantage the Patriots have over other teams with similar skills - intelligence. I have sensed an extremely low football IQ on the Dolphins for many years. I like this news.

9. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

They allow so many drives to continue because of dumb penalties. Even though they won 10 games and that was awesome, there were so many times during the season I thought some of these guys have absolutely 0 football common sense. You don't need Pro Bowlers at every position. You just need smart, decent football players. One of the reasons I was fine with losing Olivier because he had so many bonehead penalties here.

Just watch the ending of the Buffalo game in Miami last year. So many dumb penalties.

royalshank likes this.
  10. Michigan Mike

Michigan Mike FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

The question I would ask to follow-up on this conversation; what STUPID players have departed and how are they going to up the intelligence for some of those remaining that didn't play too smart?

HeavenCent likes this.
  11. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

As opposed to with Joe Philbin where we always seemed to be getting dumber on the field...

[​IMG]

:roflmao

LDaniel7 likes this.
  12. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Year 2 will help in the muscle memory area of the returning players plus with more emphasis on the celebral part of the game with the new players it should rub off on some of the veterans.

13. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

A really interesting player we have picked up in the Draft is Raekwon McMillan from Ohio State. Although only 20, he was a Defensive captain on a top ranked team for the past 2 years. One should not build excessive expectations before we see him on the field. However, he sounds incredibly calm, settled, sensible and really smart. Watch the Congemi interview - Raekwon comes across as a confident natural leader, who's happy to be a Dolphin. There is a reason why Urban Meyer gave him such big responsibilities in making Defensive calls at such an early age (i.e. 18 years old) and he wasn't let down. The more I see of McMillan, the more I love this Draft pick.

14. spiketex

OK - Damien Williams made a few silly mistakes last year, but there were a lot fewer than the previous season and he consistently excelled on Special Teams. Check out the ST big plays and who is right in the action with Walt Aikens setting things up. Damien is still to re-sign but he shouldn't be discarded. He made good progress last year.

15. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

To me, this shows that Adam Gase gets it.

I'd guess that the Patriots have the smartest group of players in the NFL --- at least in terms of football smarts. That does win games.

I know a lot of younger media types will look at old-timers like Bob Griese and dismiss his greatness based on stats, but one thing Griese did so well was steal first downs by drawing teams offsides. He was a master at that. The little things do add up, like getting those extra yards instead of going out-of-bounds, knowing how to run out the clock etc.

Smart and physical seems to be the mantra of this offseason for the most part. Have to like that.

16. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Optimist Homer Finheaven VIP

LOL - i've never been much of one to bash the outgoing guys but that picture is classic...unfortunate pose captured for Coach Philbin

17. Digital

Digital Starter

But that wasn't my point. Who do you think they were referring to when they were talking about getting smarter and used the example of not staying in bounds when we need to run off clock?

He was the first person who came to my mind. I'm not piling on the guy. I'm trying to figure out who they are talking about who they don't think is smart. Other than Damien Williams ... who else did that?

royalshank likes this.
  18. spiketex

I think that they were referring to drafting Raekwon McMillan as our key linebacker for the future. He impressed the hell out of me in the interviews. Confident, self assured and really smart. They didn't bother getting him back down to Miami for any second interview because they were probably blown away by the first.

19. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 Well-Known Member

The sencond sentence was all about Landry, taken his helmet off after a TD. But all that anyone is talking about is going out of bounce with under a minute left.

MDFINFAN likes this.
  20. Digital

Digital Starter

Sure ... but I'm going to take that as you agree the running out of bounds comment was a shot at Williams by the coaching staff through the media. I hope he signs his tender and comes back, and I'm sure he will ... but I'm in agreement that situational football is important too. The Patriots, Steelers, Packers, and other top teams tend to not make those kinds of mistakes. I'm hoping we become one of those teams that avoids those types of mistakes too. Time to learn if they haven't already.

On the smart note, I have a lot of faith in Asiata, McMillan, Harris and Ford being smart players. I also think we have some undrafted guys who fit that mold as well. But I'm not writing off talented players just because the playbook takes them a little longer. They just need to learn.

21. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Finheaven VIP Donator

22. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

I like drafting smart players but that's only part of the equation. Another good aspect of this draft is we steered away from players with character red flags as well as injuries that could keep them out of camp. I've been impressed with all of the interviews I've seen from a maturity and humility aspect. A few of the guys are still considered "dogs" or hard-nosed" players but yet they still come off very humble and dedicated. I like that.

I just wonder who, out of the group (if anyone) is going to be that star player that has eluded Miami's front office for years. Landry may be an exception and Tunsil will likely turn into one of those guys but if Mike T has accomplished anything in his career, it's finding the elite player on occasion. So far only Landry has come out of the gate on fire. Most of the past guys could still evolve into an elite player but they have needed time for whatever reason (injury, etc) to develop. There are definitely some good candidates this year.

Out of previous classes who is likely to turn into a top tier player?

2013: Only 1 player and he is currently in NE (Gillislie).
    2014: Landry is pretty much there.
    2015: Ajayi is there. Parker is my candidate. Phillips and Lippett as outside chances.
    2016: Tunsil is most likely and Howard has a shot.
    2017: Harris, McMillan, Asiata, Tankersley, Godchaux are all good candidates.

23. royalshank

royalshank Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

That philbin pic is one of my all time favorites on this forum.

24. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan

We had the 2nd most penalty yards in the NFL, so it is obvious we need to get smarter. We also had the youngest roster in the NFL, so that had to be expected. I think this is a contagious element of football. If you get a few guys playing smart that are the leaders it rubs off. It couldn't help that one of our biggest team leaders, Landry, had to celebrate after every first down, and got a few personal fouls. That stuff trickles down to the young guys. Hopefully Gase can lock this down this season, with out losing the edge it gave this team.

25. TeeMoney

TeeMoney Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb Finheaven VIP

Intelligent players with enough attitude to take advantage of their football intelligence. Without that attitude they can sit and watch, go coach High school or something.

26. fins1

fins1 Sec 145 Row 20 Seats5,6

I believe Damien Williams was also the back that stayed inbounds fighting for extra yards when we had no timeouts against Buffalo. Forcing us to rush out the field-goal unit team to try the 55 yarder.

royalshank likes this.
  27. royalshank

Guys w low football IQ will get you beat - see Bengals (w Vance Joseph as D-backs coach) 2 years ago in playoffs vs Pittsburgh). Belichik has no patience for dummies. You so much as false start could cost you your job. Our coaching staff gets it.

28. royalshank

Damien is a dum-dum. Downing a kickoff at the 1 two years ago (which led to safety on next play) was a good example. Probably why NE signed the other guy.

29. Eesti

Eesti Rookie

Need to work on OL penalties. James had 10 last year which ranks 12th most.. Larsen had 7. Tunsil had 6. Bushrod had 5. Albert had 3.

30. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Miami never had a chance.

Then he had to go undercover in the political realm...

Philbin_Hillary.jpg

31. 72champagne

72champagne the annual ritual

Einstein proved atoms exist. Rutherford is credited with 'splitting' them. But nice try, Armando.