A major objective of Miami Dolphins’ offseason has been to put together a smarter team Read more he | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A major objective of Miami Dolphins’ offseason has been to put together a smarter team Read more he

Joe-Philbin.jpg

LOL - i've never been much of one to bash the outgoing guys but that picture is classic...unfortunate pose captured for Coach Philbin

OK - Damien Williams made a few silly mistakes last year, but there were a lot fewer than the previous season and he consistently excelled on Special Teams. Check out the ST big plays and who is right in the action with Walt Aikens setting things up. Damien is still to re-sign but he shouldn't be discarded. He made good progress last year.
But that wasn't my point. Who do you think they were referring to when they were talking about getting smarter and used the example of not staying in bounds when we need to run off clock?

He was the first person who came to my mind. I'm not piling on the guy. I'm trying to figure out who they are talking about who they don't think is smart. Other than Damien Williams ... who else did that?

But that wasn't my point. Who do you think they were referring to when they were talking about getting smarter and used the example of not staying in bounds when we need to run off clock?

He was the first person who came to my mind. I'm not piling on the guy. I'm trying to figure out who they are talking about who they don't think is smart. Other than Damien Williams ... who else did that?
I think that they were referring to drafting Raekwon McMillan as our key linebacker for the future. He impressed the hell out of me in the interviews. Confident, self assured and really smart. They didn't bother getting him back down to Miami for any second interview because they were probably blown away by the first.

The sencond sentence was all about Landry, taken his helmet off after a TD. But all that anyone is talking about is going out of bounce with under a minute left.

I think that they were referring to drafting Raekwon McMillan as our key linebacker for the future. He impressed the hell out of me in the interviews. Confident, self assured and really smart. They didn't bother getting him back down to Miami for any second interview because they were probably blown away by the first.

Sure ... but I'm going to take that as you agree the running out of bounds comment was a shot at Williams by the coaching staff through the media. I hope he signs his tender and comes back, and I'm sure he will ... but I'm in agreement that situational football is important too. The Patriots, Steelers, Packers, and other top teams tend to not make those kinds of mistakes. I'm hoping we become one of those teams that avoids those types of mistakes too. Time to learn if they haven't already.

On the smart note, I have a lot of faith in Asiata, McMillan, Harris and Ford being smart players. I also think we have some undrafted guys who fit that mold as well. But I'm not writing off talented players just because the playbook takes them a little longer. They just need to learn.

I like drafting smart players but that's only part of the equation. Another good aspect of this draft is we steered away from players with character red flags as well as injuries that could keep them out of camp. I've been impressed with all of the interviews I've seen from a maturity and humility aspect. A few of the guys are still considered "dogs" or hard-nosed" players but yet they still come off very humble and dedicated. I like that.

I just wonder who, out of the group (if anyone) is going to be that star player that has eluded Miami's front office for years. Landry may be an exception and Tunsil will likely turn into one of those guys but if Mike T has accomplished anything in his career, it's finding the elite player on occasion. So far only Landry has come out of the gate on fire. Most of the past guys could still evolve into an elite player but they have needed time for whatever reason (injury, etc) to develop. There are definitely some good candidates this year.

Out of previous classes who is likely to turn into a top tier player?

2013: Only 1 player and he is currently in NE (Gillislie).
2014: Landry is pretty much there.
2015: Ajayi is there. Parker is my candidate. Phillips and Lippett as outside chances.
2016: Tunsil is most likely and Howard has a shot.
2017: Harris, McMillan, Asiata, Tankersley, Godchaux are all good candidates.

That philbin pic is one of my all time favorites on this forum.

We had the 2nd most penalty yards in the NFL, so it is obvious we need to get smarter. We also had the youngest roster in the NFL, so that had to be expected. I think this is a contagious element of football. If you get a few guys playing smart that are the leaders it rubs off. It couldn't help that one of our biggest team leaders, Landry, had to celebrate after every first down, and got a few personal fouls. That stuff trickles down to the young guys. Hopefully Gase can lock this down this season, with out losing the edge it gave this team.

Intelligent players with enough attitude to take advantage of their football intelligence. Without that attitude they can sit and watch, go coach High school or something.

I believe Damien Williams was also the back that stayed inbounds fighting for extra yards when we had no timeouts against Buffalo. Forcing us to rush out the field-goal unit team to try the 55 yarder.

Guys w low football IQ will get you beat - see Bengals (w Vance Joseph as D-backs coach) 2 years ago in playoffs vs Pittsburgh). Belichik has no patience for dummies. You so much as false start could cost you your job. Our coaching staff gets it.

Damien is a dum-dum. Downing a kickoff at the 1 two years ago (which led to safety on next play) was a good example. Probably why NE signed the other guy.

Need to work on OL penalties. James had 10 last year which ranks 12th most.. Larsen had 7. Tunsil had 6. Bushrod had 5. Albert had 3.

Back
Top Bottom