A Metrics Breakdown of Top Pass Rushers (Pt 2, Pressures) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Metrics Breakdown of Top Pass Rushers (Pt 2, Pressures)

NUGap

Active Roster
Reaction score
A Metrics Breakdown of Top Pass Rushers - Updated with 2nd Tier

It's been a little while since I've posted one of my stats breakdowns. I've ended up working with TheSidelineView.com. Writing there, I have access to full season statistics compiled with a program called STATS ICE which has every BCS game charted from the entire college football season, so I can spend less time charting and more time breaking down the numbers. This is a breakdown of five of the top pass rushers, looking at pressures, SOS and more. In the past, I posted breakdowns directly on here, but since I have no clue how to format the post that they put up, I'll just link it. Hope you enjoy!

Pressures are considered hurries + knockdowns to give the total effect on the QB. The first stat in the chart is labeled “PPS” and that stands for Pressures Per Snap. What that tells us is how many snaps it takes for each player to get to the QB. That is, a lower number means that the pass rusher affects the QB more often and is more efficient. PPS combines sacks and pressures, but isn’t weighted towards one or the other.

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/draft/metrics-breakdown-top-pass-rushers-tier-1

UPDATE:

Here's tier 2, it's in the same style as the first one since I did all the stats at the same time. It includes Lemonier, Datone Jones, John Simon, Sam Montgomery, and Damontre Moore.

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/ncaa/metrics-breakdown-top-pass-rushers-tier-2

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to mention two things.

1. I'll have a 2nd tier out which will include Damontre Moore, Lemonier, Datone Jones, John Simon and Sam Montgomery. Spoiler alert, almost none of Sam Montgomery's metrics are positive.

2. The next positional grouping I'm working on is running backs, if you have any requests for certain things you would like to see in an analysis of RBs, let me know.

I don't know if you have this ability on STATS ICE but if you're able to break down left data versus right data I do think that would be worthwhile. College is so full of the zone read that guys playing on the left side generally have more to worry about.

Also if I could make a suggestion on players to include in the 2nd tier I would suggest that Cornelius Washington and Devin Taylor should be there.

Jarvis Jones should be in that 1st tier. Not criticizing, just saying he probably should've been in there.

Forgot to mention two things.

1. I'll have a 2nd tier out which will include Damontre Moore, Lemonier, Datone Jones, John Simon and Sam Montgomery. Spoiler alert, almost none of Sam Montgomery's metrics are positive.

2. The next positional grouping I'm working on is running backs, if you have any requests for certain things you would like to see in an analysis of RBs, let me know.

RBs strike me at first as a difficult group to get good metrics on...good luck! I imagine the difficulties to be scheme/alignment, whether the back kicks a run out himself or whether it's designed to go there (counting inside/off-tackle), what constitutes a broken tackle or contact, and how well they're all blocked for. Two ideas:

1) I'd be really interested to see yds per carry on 1st-and-10. The idea that it's a balanced down, 50/50 run/pass.

2) % of carries or receptions on 2nd or 3rd down that get first-downs when the yardage is 4/5 or less. This is really specific, I know...would probably be easier to just see how many times they move the sticks. Just an idea to somehow separate who the good 3rd-down backs are, seeing that we're probably in the market for one.

I don't know if you have this ability on STATS ICE but if you're able to break down left data versus right data I do think that would be worthwhile. College is so full of the zone read that guys playing on the left side generally have more to worry about.

I wanted that data too, but they didn't have it. You would think that'd be something they keep track of, but for some reason they don't. They'll be adding it next year though.

To your other point, right now I'm working through someone else to get the data until I get setup fully on the system, and they forgot to add Jarvis Jones. I agree that he should have been in the first tier, but it was just one of those mistakes.

The second tier is already set with the guys I mentioned because I already ran the stats. But I'll likely do a third tier with those two and a few more. We still have enough time for those guys.

[/B]
RBs strike me at first as a difficult group to get good metrics on...good luck! I imagine the difficulties to be scheme/alignment, whether the back kicks a run out himself or whether it's designed to go there (counting inside/off-tackle), what constitutes a broken tackle or contact, and how well they're all blocked for. Two ideas:

1) I'd be really interested to see yds per carry on 1st-and-10. The idea that it's a balanced down, 50/50 run/pass.

2) % of carries or receptions on 2nd or 3rd down that get first-downs when the yardage is 4/5 or less. This is really specific, I know...would probably be easier to just see how many times they move the sticks. Just an idea to somehow separate who the good 3rd-down backs are, seeing that we're probably in the market for one.

That was what I was finding out too. Here are what I'm looking at:

Looking at a RB's play style versus their size/weight. That is, using stats like yards after contact, broken tackles, outside runs, etc - look at how much of their game is predicated on power and speed. For instance, let's say I were to look at Daniel Thomas during college and found out his yards after contact and broken tackles were average. You could then divide by his weight and say, well he isn't playing as heavy as he should. This is just the pre-lim thought.

The other I'm working on right now, is what I'm calling "free runs". That is, runs in which the running back isn't touched or doesn't have to make a football move (juke, spin, etc) within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. The idea being, a good o-line that opens up a big hole would allow anyone to run straight through it. It's not necessarily built on the RB's talents. On a preliminary charting, I found that nearly 40% of Joseph Randle's yardage and 10% of his runs overall came on plays like this compared to 24% of Johnathan Franklin's yardage and 6% of his carries.

Those are some of my initial thoughts as well as SOS and other standard stats like broken tackles, % runs outside/inside, etc. I like where you're going as well, going to have to mess around with the data a bit and see what comes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
okafor ran a 4.88 at his pro day pretty much tells me why he didn't run at the combine...probably a close to 5.0 guy there...doesn't effect my grade on him though...top 3 pass rusher in the class...and yeah i'm still taking mingo as the top tools pass rusher in the class

but these things are really cool nugap...

okafor ran a 4.88 at his pro day pretty much tells me why he didn't run at the combine...probably a close to 5.0 guy there...doesn't effect my grade on him though...top 3 pass rusher in the class...and yeah i'm still taking mingo as the top tools pass rusher in the class

Appreciate that. I just saw the 4.88 for Okafor on walterfootball but I saw 4.7 here on SBNation: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dr...ts-kenny-vaccaro-marquise-goodwin-alex-okafor

Did you get the 4.88 from somewhere else or was that your source? Seems like that's a large discrepancy.

This RosterWatch Tweet had him anywhere between 4.81 and 4.88: https://twitter.com/RosterWatch/status/316666554655850498

Well, I can say one thing for you...you are definitely consistent. I still disagree with Mingo...he is a bust waiting to happen. I would take him at 42 without question but definitely not at 12.

Appreciate that. I just saw the 4.88 for Okafor on walterfootball but I saw 4.7 here on SBNation: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dr...ts-kenny-vaccaro-marquise-goodwin-alex-okafor

Did you get the 4.88 from somewhere else or was that your source? Seems like that's a large discrepancy.

This RosterWatch Tweet had him anywhere between 4.81 and 4.88: https://twitter.com/RosterWatch/status/316666554655850498

pft said 4.88 on their show...either way though for what he is it doesn't bother me...he's a coming forward pass rusher...not much of a run and chase the ball guy or run down things from the backside...okafor goes north and south...and i think he's currently getting undervalued draft wise...a lot of round 2 buzz there that i don't agree with

Back
Top Bottom