A Positive Phins Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A Positive Phins Thread

Last year, most here were not expecting a whole lot. Most believed that Tannehill would take another year to develop, with many young players, and many new ones. It was gonna take another year to fit in all the pieces to contend in 2014. What happened?

On O- Tannyhill did improve. The OL was a frakin disaster. Keller went down, and we were screwed at TE. Wallace and RT did not click. The run game was non-existent. Our new kicker was not as good as the old one. We had one hell of a time in scoring points.

On D- Wake was injured. Our LB's were horrible. Jones was lost. Our 2nd CB was serviceable.

Draft- It was basically a waste last year.

Coaching- Philbin was questionable. Few had any respect for Sherman.

What Really Happened?

Well, we won 8 games, beat playoff teams. and came within a win of the playoffs. This was all in spite of all of the above problems, without even bringing Bully Gate into it.

Hmmm, when considering all this, I'm thinking we did pretty good.

This year, we have to expect Tannyhill to be better, along with the OL, Wallace, and the run game. Hard to be worse.

And one would have to also expect improvement from our 2nd CB, Jones, and our LB's. Hard to be worse.

So, maybe, just maybe, we could be pretty good this year. Just a thought.

Who here was "not expecting a whole lot?"

Personally, I wasn't expecting playoffs like some others, but I was expecting the offense to solidify and the scheme to work. It was the second year with the same coaches, same plays, and they worked intensely with Ryan Tannehill in the off season. They brought back his safety blanket (Hartline). They jacked up the roster with free agents. They had a surprise breakout year by Clay. They lucked out on Brent Grimes, who handed the ball right back to our offense, giving them plenty of opportunity to score. And that offense, btw, was supposed to be fast, spread the field vertically and horizontally, allowing Lamar Miller to have a breakout season. Not much of what coaches expected came to fruition.

So,...what I want this year is what they should have accomplished last year. Once again, I want to see the offensive scheme work. I want to see our QB excel. I want to see touchdowns. Then after that, if they make it into the playoffs, it will be icing on the cake, it won't be my expectation.

Good thread. Don't let the haters get you down.

As much as they have their right to state their opinion, you have your right to optimism. And despite what the haters will tell you, it's not "wearing rose-colored glasses." It's just "being a fan."

I think it's a fair one based on what the team overcame last year. When you look back, overall there were not many players who played up to what hey have done or, what most believe they can do.

IMO, the only exceptions were Hartline, Gibson before injury, Starks, Grimes, and that's about it.

Charles Clay stepped up BIG TIME...I'm excited to see what more he has to offer this year, especially under Lazor's offense...

Who here was "not expecting a whole lot?"

Personally, I wasn't expecting playoffs like some others, but I was expecting the offense to solidify and the scheme to work. It was the second year with the same coaches, same plays, and they worked intensely with Ryan Tannehill in the off season. They brought back his safety blanket (Hartline). They jacked up the roster with free agents. They had a surprise breakout year by Clay. They lucked out on Brent Grimes, who handed the ball right back to our offense, giving them plenty of opportunity to score. And that offense, btw, was supposed to be fast, spread the field vertically and horizontally, allowing Lamar Miller to have a breakout season. Not much of what coaches expected came to fruition.

So,...what I want this year is what they should have accomplished last year. Once again, I want to see the offensive scheme work. I want to see our QB excel. I want to see touchdowns. Then after that, if they make it into the playoffs, it will be icing on the cake, it won't be my expectation.

I believe, for the most part, Phan's expectations were to be in the battle for a Wild Card, and some expecting to get it but, not to go any further. In spite of all that went wrong, we were a game, a few plays or, a kick away. All in all, it was not a BAD year, although disappointing.

Although we had the same coaches and plays for a second year, we also had new starters in Wallace, Gibson, Calbo, Ellerbe, Wheeler, and Grimes, who were in a new system for the first time, as well as first time starters in Clay, Miller, OV, and Carroll.

Good thread. Don't let the haters get you down.

As much as they have their right to state their opinion, you have your right to optimism. And despite what the haters will tell you, it's not "wearing rose-colored glasses." It's just "being a fan."

Being in South Beach, I have to deal with Jets and Pats fans on a consistent basis, and mostly when the are drinking. Haters here pale in comparison.

Charles Clay stepped up BIG TIME...I'm excited to see what more he has to offer this year, especially under Lazor's offense...

Yeah, and remember that, as Clay has said, he is still learning to play TE.

Players quit on Philbin not Ireland. Losing the last two games had nothing to with Ireland.. Philbin and Sherman kept us out of the playoffs..Period..

Last season could have been Hindenburgesque after bullygate. The team rallied nicely against against Cincy but had a letdown again Tampa on MNF. It was a nice run after that but the team & staff were IMO emotionally drained and completely hit the wall prior to the 2nd Buffalo game.

The key to 2014 will be if everyone can learn from 2013, adapt, & improve.

Being in South Beach, I have to deal with Jets and Pats fans on a consistent basis, and mostly when the are drinking. Haters here pale in comparison.

I live an hour drive from the Meadowlands. I hear ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never be around a Jet or a Patriots or even a Bills fan, when they are drinking.

its the same positive thread every year...and every year absolutely nothing changes. i remember pretty vividly in 2000, we were playing at cinci and right before the half jason taylor strip sacked akili smith and ran the ball in for a td. i was in awe...i just remember saying to myself how do bengal fans put up with this disaster of a team every single year. after the last 13 years i guess i know how they put up with it.

Back
Top Bottom