A rare Slimm mock draft | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A rare Slimm mock draft

Consider that Mark Barron was taken 7th overall last year.

Mark Barron

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 213

Eric Reid

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 213

---------------------------

Mark Barron

40-yard dash: 4.54 (pro day) *you can add anywhere from .05 to .08 to this in order to get a comparable combine time*

Eric Reid

40-yard dash: 4.50 (combine)

--------------------------------------------------

Mark Barron

10-yard split: 1.63

Eric Reid

10-yard split: 1.50

---------------------------------

Mark Barron

Vertical: 34.5"

Eric Reid

Vertical: 40.5"

---------------------------------------

Mark Barron

Broad Jump: 10'2"

Eric Reid

Broad Jump: 11'2"

-------------------------------------------

Barron had 12 INT's, 22 PBU's, 1 FF, and 231 tackles in 4 years.

In only 3 years, Reid had 6 INT's, 11 PBU's, 2 FF's, and 199 tackles.

I'd consider myself lucky if he lasted long enough to have a shot at the top of round 2.

I would be fine with this draft.

What free agents would you eye to complement this draft? I think that would provide more context around the draft choices.

I'm pretty sure they measured Minter at 6 feet tall, but who cares about an inch. He was clocked as low as 4.68 before the combine and i'm sure he'll post some better numbers at the pro day, so I'm not worried about that. Minter has great instinct.

The game has changed with all the fast seam threat tight ends and quick slot receivers. I'd say having a little speed back there would be better than a Torrey Smith like player blowing past a bigger slower Eric Reid every other play. I don't have an issue with him at SS, but at FS i'm not convinced it would be best for this team. When you look at Reed in Baltimore you can't overlook the help he had from the pressure of the D-line/Lb'ers. Same with Dawkins and same with Phillips in NY. The Dolphins don't have the rushers those teams had/have. You can'y afford to have slower safeties. You need quicker coverage guys. I do like Reid just not at free safety.

Minter measured 5'11" 3/4

Everybody will post better numbers at their pro day.... except Eric Reid apparently? He'll probably run 4.42-4.46 at his pro day.

The game has changed to where you need to have interchangeable safeties. Faster does not equal better. Reid is interchangeable.

He fits perfectly in that system Seattle runs. Plus, Earl Thomas is just a freak of nature :lol:

I was super high on ET. He was THE guy I wanted at 12 (we were also drafting at 12 that year). I'm just saying that Reid's 40 time is more than acceptable for a FS. Vacarro ran a 4.63 and doesn't play as strong or fast as Reid, and Vacarro will likely be a Day 1 guy. I understand and appreciate the logic behind the pick - speaking of Slimm's mock. Honestly, my initial hesitation pretty much stems from the fact that I have a small man-crush on Duke Williams. Though, I've admitted that he might not be the best fit with R. Jones.

Speaking of which, Slimm, I noticed in your rankings that you're not as high on Duke Williams. Any particular reason?

I never said Eric Reid couldn't play FS.. I just said for us, and our players in the defensive scheme we run, the free safety position would need a little more speed than a Tampa 2(Bucs) or that the Seahawks have because of their speed at LB and Dline. It all has to do with personnel.
Dolphins are EXTREMELY slow in the middle.. This leaves a big space to cover and Reshad wasn't always there to make the tackles either. When you look at the way our FS played last year, all people think of is the few bad angles(which Reshad actually had more bad angle plays then Clemons just not as bad), but they don't look at why that happened. The middle was just horrible. Teams knew where to throw the ball and Clemons was the one that had to clean up the plays that the boys in the middle left on the field. If he was a slower guy he wouldn't of been able to make it to the other side of the field to even be in position to make a tackle. Those would've been touchdowns if he was a slower guy. That's why he was rated so high this past year.
Not sure why people want to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

If our FS is let go I'd be worried about drafting any of the safeties in this class due to speed, except maybe Shamarko Thomas in the later rounds.

I'd be really excited about getting a receiving threat at TE, but how do you think that will fit in to our offense? I dont have any hard data, but after Jake Long went down with an injury, I remember our TE was asked to block on most passing plays. With our two sloppy OTs in Martin and Garner, will our new TE get the opportunities to go down field?

I never said Eric Reid couldn't play FS.. I just said for us, and our players in the defensive scheme we run, the free safety position would need a little more speed than a Tampa 2(Bucs) or that the Seahawks have because of their speed at LB and Dline. It all has to do with personnel.
Dolphins are EXTREMELY slow in the middle.. This leaves a big space to cover and Reshad wasn't always there to make the tackles either. When you look at the way our FS played last year, all people think of is the few bad angles(which Reshad actually had more bad angle plays then Clemons just not as bad), but they don't look at why that happened. The middle was just horrible. Teams knew where to throw the ball and Clemons was the one that had to clean up the plays that the boys in the middle left on the field. If he was a slower guy he wouldn't of been able to make it to the other side of the field to even be in position to make a tackle. Those would've been touchdowns if he was a slower guy. That's why he was rated so high this past year.
Not sure why people want to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

If our FS is let go I'd be worried about drafting any of the safeties in this class due to speed, except maybe Shamarko Thomas in the later rounds.

I understand and appreciate your points, but I think you're misinterpreting what's going on in Miami's D. Dansby is an athletic MLB. Coming down hill, Clemons is always - at best - a step late. He has poor read/react skills, and he has poor agility. Look at the way Ed Reed moves, and then look at the way Clemons moves. One is fluid, athletic. The other is stiff, looks like he's on the verge of popping out a hip every time he makes a cut. Clemons' saving grace is that his natural instinct is to stay deep. So he leaves a ton of plays on the field, but he at least limits big plays. Ed Reed allowed Baltimore's D to be more aggressive with blitzes, etc., because you could single-high him, and he could get just about anywhere he needed to. Miami would never dream of doing that on a consistent basis with Clemons.

Dansby may be athletic, but he isn't fast. Teams attacked him and Burnett up the middle all game. Our bread and butter was Hartline's come back route and teams bread and butter against us was the entire middle of the field :lol:

I agree that Clemons may not be as athletically gifted as a Reed or Thomas, but he made stops where Jones or Dansby were supposed to tons of times this past year. I think he contributed more than you give him credit for. Like you said, I can't remember not 1 play where a team bombed it on us, over our FS. I do however remember plays where our FS AND SS took bad angles to get to a player that caught the ball up the middle. He somehow fits well with Jones. If we upgrade with some speed up the middle then you could have yourself a very good defense.

This is one of the last one's I can see feasible that I'd be satisfied with.

1. Tyler Eifert* / TE / Notre Dame

2. Eric Reid* / S / LSU -or- Cornellius Carradine / DE / Florida St.

2. Ryan Swope / WR / Texas A&M

3. Terry Hawthorne / CB / Illinois

3. Darius Slay / CB / Mississippi St.

4. Chris Gragg / TE / Arkansas -or- Jake Stoneburner / TE / Ohio St.

5. J.C. Tretter / OG / Cornell -or- Luke Marquardt / OT / Azusa Pacific

7. Quanterus Smith / DE / Western Kentucky

7. Jeff Nady / OT / Nevada

difference b/t mark barron and eric reid is barron has better hips and i think he's a little more instinctual vs the pass and a better man cover player...barron was pretty darn fluid for a safety

if i had a choice of the two off college tape it's barron all day every day...

Love the Carradine in 2a draft! I would be happy about that one.

Of all the skill position players in this draft, I feel that Eifert would make the most immediate impact. He's a great fit for this offense and exactly what Tannehill needs to help take his game to the next level. I like that you picked three players in the secondary. Reid has a ton of upside. Smith in the 7th could be an absolute steal.

I'm not familar enough with the offensive line you mocked and that would be one of my big concerns if Long leaves. As much as I lke Reid, I might go offensive line there.

Is Swope more than a slot guy in your opinion?

by the way all the speed in the world at safety doesn't make up for a lack of instincts vs the passing game and ball skills...clemons is late a lot...but his speed hides some of that...but give me a 4.60 safety with ball skills and instincts vs the passing game any day over a burner with no clue...

Of all the skill position players in this draft, I feel that Eifert would make the most immediate impact. He's a great fit for this offense and exactly what Tannehill needs to help take his game to the next level. I like that you picked three players in the secondary. Reid has a ton of upside. Smith in the 7th could be an absolute steal.

I'm not familar enough with the offensive line you mocked and that would be one of my big concerns if Long leaves. As much as I lke Reid, I might go offensive line there.

Is Swope more than a slot guy in your opinion?

Lane Johnson, Eric Fisher, Luke Joeckel, Chance Warmack, and Jonathan Cooper are all gone by pick #42. What offensive lineman are you going to take with your first 2nd round pick?

The next batch of tackles for me are Quessenberry and Armstead with 3rd round grades. Fluker is going to be a fine player, but he's not a fit, and likely already gone anyway.

The next batch of guards for me are Hugh Thornton, Alvin Bailey, Brian Schwenke, and Eric Herman. Are you passing up elite caliber skill position talent for one of these developmental small school tackles or 2nd tier guards?

Swope is IDEAL in the slot, but he's capable of a little more than that. He runs a lot of wheel routes from the slot and ends up on the outside (on the numbers) in the hole between cornerbacks and safeties anyway. Tough, physical kid. I've seen him get blown up several times that would've put most receivers out.... Swope gets up flexing his muscles. I watched Louisiana Tech try to knock him out of the game... which they finally did on a questionable hit. Came back the next week and had 10 catches against LSU.

by the way all the speed in the world at safety doesn't make up for a lack of instincts vs the passing game and ball skills...clemons is late a lot...but his speed hides some of that...but give me a 4.60 safety with ball skills and instincts vs the passing game any day over a burner with no clue...

Idk about a 4.6 guy.. Damn that's Bell slow :lol:

Back
Top Bottom