A real small camp report (May 19th) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A real small camp report (May 19th)

Ozzy

Premium Member
Reaction score
Wednesday May 19, 2004

Well, I got to practice pretty late due to a tractor trailer going into a canal on the interstate. But I did catch most of the drills.

So lets talk for a minute. What I see is that the offense is just not clicking. They seem to be way behind the defense as far as knowing the plays. Yes, I know that there are a lot of new players, heck even a lot of new coaches, but it's almost scary as to how far they have to go. And yes, it is a good thing it's still very early in the offseason.

OK I'm not going to get into a real detailed report today, I'll do that tomorrow.

The Qb's

Jay, by knowing the playbook so well, is standing tall, and still ahead. But let me say that I noticed something today about him that he may be learning from Feeley. He was using the pocket to his advantage quite a lot today. I had to do a triple take to check the Qb's number, and I was right it was Fiedler. Now I know he has used the pocket before, but the way he slid up into it was picture perfect, and something a true pocket passer does almost naturally. It really could have a lot to do with the defense having a distinct edge over the O-lineman because almost every other play there is a DE getting his mitts on the Qb's, all of them. It so fast that the Qb's are having trouble trying to break out of the pocket. Fiedler made a few decent throws, and he was spreading the ball around pretty good.

Feeley looks real comfortable in the pocket, and the way he steps up in it, can buy an added second, that's if the Center can keep containment. He connected on a nice 30 yard pass to Minnis. You can see he is trying to get in sync with Boston, Chambers, and Thompson. Feeley still has a long way to go, but from day one thru today I have most definitely noticed improvement, or should I say He's getting more comfortable. I like the way he throws lots of spirals, and again, the deeper out patterns are coming in with a lot more velocity, and accuracy. Still he was throwing a little behind a few receivers on the short stuff.

Sage also had one nice throw to Minnis, and I'll tell you this, if he can cut down on the mental mistakes, he, IMO is the darkhorse. He's taller, bigger, faster, and his arm is stronger than any of the Qb's on the roster.

Wr's

David Boston does not need to lose any weight if you ask me. To be able to carry the weight he has, and run a 4.40 forty tells me that he is going to put fear in the smaller defenders. He look a whole lot better than today! Running nice routes, and holding onto the ball, even making some nice plays on balls thrown behind him. He was giving Howard fits, and this is with Howard having pretty decent coverage.

Chambers had a nice TD catch on a tipped ball.

Minnis went totally horizontal on one play. The route was a short one, and a little out in front of him, but he left his feet, on a real nice diving catch. Probably the play of the day. He is getting plenty of passes thrown his way, and so far, not too bad. not great either.

Thompson dropped a sure TD, thrown right into his mitts!!! I really like the way he runs his routes, but as we all know, the route is only half the battle. You have got to hold onto the ball!!! Concentration seems to be lacking with him way too much.

Simmons is also getting his share of passes, and he dropped one right in the mitts as well.

Donald Lee also had a dumb drop.

Tolver caught a couple, and I'm going to try and focus on him a little more next time.

On another note, these type of practices are not real good for measuring the running game, but Ricky Williams caught my eye a couple of times today. He was making some real nice cuts and weight shifts, trying not to let the defenders get their hands on him. He's looking lean, and mean.

And on defense, it was nice to see Eddie (got knocked the "F" out) Moore finally practicing. He looks like he is about 90 percent, and was getting his fair share of plays.

JT was all over the place, sacks from the right, left, left, right.

Grigsby is looking pretty good too.

Josh Mallard may be an unknown but twice now he has caught my eye in the pass rush. But we all know a good set of PADS can change that in a second.

Lets all never forget that these reports are only for entertainment purposes! With no pads, and me being an amateur camp reporter, they should be taken with a very course grain of salt, and could very well be seen differently by another person.

I know this report falls a little short but in reality I would call today's practice kind of a boring one. I'll try to get up there again tomorrow, and make the report much better.

Peace out.....

Ozzy glad to see you made home homey. Did you break the century mark heading back home ??

CRAZYDOLFAN305 said:
Ozzy glad to see you made home homey. Did you break the century mark heading back home ??

LOL, I actually had to head straight home instead of going to Pompano Beach, it was 90 all the way.

BTW, it's good to see you out there every time I go, between Dude, and Yourself, I don't know who goes more....

See you tommorow "G" !

Thanks Ozzy. That report will do just fine if you ask me. It is good to see Feeley take steps. I think as long as he progresses with each mini camp, he will do fine. I like the thought that the two might also be learning form each other too. That makes the competetion that much more of a good one.

David Boston having a second straight day of good practicing is nice to see too. Perhaps he and Miami come to an undertanding an he loses maybe, five pounds instead of ten? It might be doable.

Minnis seems to be the guy they would like to see be the number three receiver, at least that is what I gather by the amount of time he is getting at the camps.

Lee seems to have a major case of the drops too. Good thing McMicheal is ahead of him on the depth chart, or I would be nervous.

A good report. See, If Feeley can continue to get comfortable he will start. He is throwing lots of spirals and more accuracy and velocity on deeps balls? That is what I am talking about! I think he can/will get the job done this year. Another interesting topic is David Boston, I want to see If he will lose the weight or not. And another thing is our 2nd round pick in 03...Eddie Moore, I want to see what he can do. Should be interesting

Thanks for the report pal, good job. I still have faith that Feeley will come along fine, its just gonna take time. And it doesnt help any right now that our o-line isnt giving the QB's time back their. But thats fine to, it is just making them learn faster and make decisions sooner, which I see as a plus because their are not alot of teams that are going to get their that quickly come the season for a couple reasons. I think the more our Line plays together , the better they will get for one, plus now they are still playing without pads, right? This makes the defense quicker to the QB. Plus Miami has a better Defense than many teams, so hopefully that is another plus. We should know by around the 3rd game of the preseason I think, but thats along way off. Thanks again !

BSQX4 said:
Maybe he's learning from Trestman.
I was gonna say the exact same thing. Not that this is the case with Ozzy but, it seems not many think that Trestman is capable of significantly improving Jay's game. I would imagine that in many occasions, coaches ARE the difference makers in a player's game. Many assume that Sullivan has a significant impact on Boston. Maybe Trestman is capable of having that kind of impact on a Quarterback, maybe not.

BSQX4 said:
Maybe he's learning from Trestman.

And I'm sure Trestman has a lot to do with it, but he is a WCO guy, not that he can't see, or know how a pocket Qb should handle the pocket. But I think by watching how Feeley actually does it helps a little more.

13isgr81 said:
I was gonna say the exact same thing. Not that this is the case with Ozzy but, it seems not many think that Trestman is capable of significantly improving Jay's game. I would imagine that in many occasions, coaches ARE the difference makers in a player's game. Many assume that Sullivan has a significant impact on Boston. Maybe Trestman is capable of having that kind of impact on a Quarterback, maybe not.

I absolutely agree! As a matter of fact look at how Fiedler regressed last year, by not having a Qb coach. Remember David Shula took the Bama job?

And after I posted this, I thought about Trestman, and you guys are surely right, but the way Fiedler stepped up in the pocket looked remarkably like Feeley...

Back
Top Bottom