A reflection of recent Parcells drafts | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A reflection of recent Parcells drafts

Nice work on the post, even if alot was merely specualtion and opinion I think we get the point. The only part I cringed at is when you said Trufant was better then Newman. Some may dissagree with me, I feel Terrence Newman may very well be the best shut-down corner in all of football (when healthy). JMO though.

Just an FYI.. you're wrong on the Newman thing. Parcells wanted to draft Kevin Williams that year but Jones and Ireland harped on him to take Newman until he caved.

Nice work on the post, even if alot was merely specualtion and opinion I think we get the point. The only part I cringed at is when you said Trufant was better then Newman. Some may dissagree with me, I feel Terrence Newman may very well be the best shut-down corner in all of football (when healthy). JMO though.

I would not mind either CB, its not like taking Charles Rogers over Andre Johnson.

When Parcells is the grand poohbah for the Phins, I highly doubt that he's gonna defer to anyone else when it comes to getting players.

"if they want you to do the cookin', they outta let you buy the groceries", sound familiar?

The good thing about our team compared to those Cowboys teams is that we can take the best player available regardless of position, because we have so many needs.

It's harder to draft for a team that's "almost there" because you're trying to fill key positions or upgrade certain positions, and you end up reaching....when your needs include "everything" you can just take the best athlete/player on the board.

You are actually the one being quite negative, Not once in my post did I say I expect a guy to draft a probowler with ever pick, just showing that the drafts were nothing special and we should temper our enthusiasm with the coming draft. People act like Parcells or Ireland will hit with every draft pick and history shows they like most GM's miss alot. What do you mean you cant judge a draft for 4 or 5 years? Im sure you can judge his 2004 draft quite well since his 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick all got cut by him within a year or two. I think we can agree that there was some bad choices or do I need to wait another year. And yes there may be some better GMs than Jeff Ireland or Bill Parcells, I know thats blasphemy.

Nor did I say anything about Pro Bowlers, its just everything you post is negative, its like your this closet Bucs fan who still has little brother syndrome.

There will be misses in nearly every draft, and most will have multiple misses, the important question is, did every team he come too get better?

And the overwhelming answer is.............yes, everyone of them.

Thats what matters my friend.

Nor did I say anything about Pro Bowlers, its just everything you post is negative, its like your this closet Bucs fan who still has little brother syndrome.

There will be misses in nearly every draft, and most will have multiple misses, the important question is, did every team he come too get better?

And the overwhelming answer is.............yes, everyone of them.

Thats what matters my friend.

Also did he not coach those teams, so was it a matter of coaching or players. He also has a history of bailing and deserting teams. In fact he is neither GM or Coach of this team so we are actually in uncharted water.
This was a thread about his drafts in Dallas and yes there are better gms throughout the league that have drafted better. This thread had nothing to do with free agency or his coaching ability just the quality of his drafts in Dallas. I could care less if you are anybody paint me as negative because the board is full of posters that dont want to hear any other viewpoint other than thier own so what. I just posted what his draft results and you call me negative. I'm glad I did not post our game results or I would have been real negative.

To be fair about parcells picks you have to compare it with the rest of the league. Every team has hits and misses when it comes to the draft. You also have to add what he did in FA to complement his draft. Like when he was with the Jets he had some awful drafts but he was outstanding in FA. When you put each teams drafts side by side I bet you will find his drafts as being above average. There are only a couple of teams that are outstanding when it comes to drafts, the steelers come to mind as one of them. The most important part of picking players in my opinion is not living with a mistake. Most teams will keep a bust on the roster because he was a high pick. Parcells won't do this he will cut his loses and move on. This is what I respect the most out of him money or draft position does not factor in who plays or stays on the team.

To be fair about parcells picks you have to compare it with the rest of the league. Every team has hits and misses when it comes to the draft. You also have to add what he did in FA to complement his draft. Like when he was with the Jets he had some awful drafts but he was outstanding in FA. When you put each teams drafts side by side I bet you will find his drafts as being above average. There are only a couple of teams that are outstanding when it comes to drafts, the steelers come to mind as one of them. The most important part of picking players in my opinion is not living with a mistake. Most teams will keep a bust on the roster because he was a high pick. Parcells won't do this he will cut his loses and move on. This is what I respect the most out of him money or draft position does not factor in who plays or stays on the team.

This post was only an analysis of his drafts due to all the hype about our upcoming draft. So many assume because he has something to do with this team that he will hit the draft on all cylinders or that any one player is a sure fire star. Most gms miss alot. I will do an analysis of current gms at some point and rank them on drafting prowness. Im sure Parcells has not shown to be so much superior than the rest of them. I will agree his drafts are like average without any research.

The good thing about our team compared to those Cowboys teams is that we can take the best player available regardless of position, because we have so many needs.

It's harder to draft for a team that's "almost there" because you're trying to fill key positions or upgrade certain positions, and you end up reaching....when your needs include "everything" you can just take the best athlete/player on the board.

But he wasn't almost there w/ the Cowboys. This past year is the only year you could say they were almost there.

technically, Jeff Ireland has final say written into his contract.

Anyways, to call Burnett and Carpenter busts when they have better players in front of them is kind of silly. Also to say so and so was available is stupid considering a guy like Demeco Ryans would get killed in the 3-4, and some players don't fit a need at the time.

I posted this because so many assume because we have Bill Parcells and Ireland that we will have some guys that will be so far above the league as far as drafting and as you can see they really are not some super gurus when it comes to drafting. 7 out of 12 of his first day picks were not good picks, you can compare that to our 5 of 9 bad first day pick during the same period.

Not one good lineman was drafted during his time although they made very good free agent aquisitions such as Leonard Davis. One of the biggest factors in Dallas having a 13 win season was thier very experienced offensive line.

The fact of the matter is though, the 'Boys are contenders now and were not even close before Tunaland arrived... As others have also said, each draft is particular to what a team is looking for. In 2006, the 'Boys could take a few chances since overall the team was pretty close. And of course, the draft is only part of the equation... We will be a better team starting right now. Whether we are SB contenders in 3 yrs is obviously still in question, but his track record says we have a lot of hope as fans to see this team be a much more talented team soon...

I understand its your opinion and I respect that but do you think hes a better shut down corner than Champ??? I believe Newman is a shut down corner too, teams will start throwing away from him more as he starts getting healthier but I dont think he is better than Champ.

Back
Top Bottom