Adding a back through FA | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Adding a back through FA

Part of the problem is while Hyde, Anderson and Crowell are decent starting NFL running backs, there are at 10 or more backs in this draft with the potential to reach their level at a much cheaper cost. For example I see a number of mocks having Royce Freeman going anywhere from late round 3 to mid round 5 and he has the potential to be as good or better than Hyde, Anderson or Crowell. Would it make more sense to spend $3 or $4 million per year on a free agent running back and draft a guard or put that money toward a veteran guard and draft a back like Freeman?

Part of the problem is while Hyde, Anderson and Crowell are decent starting NFL running backs, there are at 10 or more backs in this draft with the potential to reach their level at a much cheaper cost. For example I see a number of mocks having Royce Freeman going anywhere from late round 3 to mid round 5 and he has the potential to be as good or better than Hyde, Anderson or Crowell. Would it make more sense to spend $3 or $4 million per year on a free agent running back and draft a guard or put that money toward a veteran guard and draft a back like Freeman?

That's how I would approach it. I would never spend big money at the running back position. They are just too easy to find.

I'm on record as saying sign one and add one, but the question is how high do you draft one and how much do you spend in free agency.

These days a free agent kicker might cost you more than a free agent running back. You can get a starting running back for less than a starter at any other position I believe.

I still think DWill should get resigned, he was looking good later in the year

I'm torn. At what price tag? If he leaves I think you could easily replace him with a 6th or 7th round pick. I wouldn't mind replacing him with Mark Walton from Miami.

I'd find someone pretty cheap or move to the draft. This is another draft that is pretty loaded at the position.

I still think DWill should get resigned, he was looking good later in the year

He's virtually the same skillset as Drake though, albeit at a little less...and you'd be spending a lot more money than what we were paying him this past year with a more limited cap. You're better off with either signing an up-gradable guy with a different skillset for a bit more money, like Anderson, or drafting a guy like Walton in the later rounds to pay peanuts to.

He's virtually the same skillset as Drake though, albeit at a little less...and you'd be spending a lot more money than what we were paying him this past year with a more limited cap. You're better off with either signing an up-gradable guy with a different skillset for a bit more money, like Anderson, or drafting a guy like Walton in the later rounds to pay peanuts to.
Agreed. D will held out from signing his tender last year if i believe. He thinks he’s worth more than he is

It's not a position I am worried about as much as others. For as much grief as I give this FO, they have done a decent job in finding RB's in mid rounds. They were lucky not to land CJ Anderson, IMO but they did find Ajayi and Drake as well as Williams.

and how is that working out for us? Teams need talent not lack of

If we didnt know what we had in Drake I'd agree and probably want to see us grab Hyde or Anderson. But now that we know The Drake, I am not about to spend valuable cap money signing a guy that will split carries with our feature back.

If they come dirt cheap, sure sign one. If not we can just develop a rookie.

Let's infuse talent on the oline or at the LB spots instead.

If we didnt know what we had in Drake I'd agree and probably want to see us grab Hyde or Anderson. But now that we know The Drake, I am not about to spend valuable cap money signing a guy that will split carries with our feature back.

If they come dirt cheap, sure sign one. If not we can just develop a rookie.

Let's infuse talent on the oline or at the LB spots instead.

But these days running backs are cheap. You can get a starting running back for less than a decent backup guard or linebacker. Saving a few million by not signing a back doesn't equal as much these days.

Back
Top Bottom