Addressing the 1st Round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by AFCMiamiEast, Dec 13, 2012.

1. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

Simple. I am going to put the 4 main positions of need as it seems in the poll, if you're GM...who is your first pick?

Edit: Lol my bad...poll seemed to be bugged, but the options were going to be WR, CB, DE, and OT.

2. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Best Player Available, I prefer to draft talent over need. If the best talent happens to be a need also then even better.

3. Asicswrg85

Asicswrg85 A True Fan

I would trade down to pick up another or 3rd pick, then go with a WR late in the first, defensive backfield / LB next, then OT, then WRs with our 2 third rounders

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

4. ONole1

ONole1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

BPA for a need. I would like to see them trade back and pick up more picks for this year and next.

5. retarmyfinfan

retarmyfinfan Brave Rifles Donator

BPA regardless of need. We have no talent becuase we constantly pick someone that is a need, like Ginn over Willis. I'm sure we can add a ton of other examples to those two.

6. ONole1

ONole1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I disagree there is a lot of talent on the team just depends on the position. If DT is the BPA on the board when Miami picks and they have resigned Starks then you don't draft DT. You have to draft BPA at a position of need unless you just have an amazing talent sitting in front of you.

7. JAKEIII

JAKEIII GoFishGo

Simple, WR's Rounds 1-7. Done!

8. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

CB is the glaring need this has to be fixed first and foremost if we ever are going to win anything.

The secondary is responsible for 90% of our losses. Draft, f/a, trade, whatever. Do them all but get it done.

But, with the way this team is right now, I like the bpa at need. cb/wr/pass rusher/te/ol in that order.

9. Penntastic

Penntastic Well-Known Member

3 td's from our wide receivers total pathetic

10. Sambo188

Sambo188 Active Member

This year's draft doesnt have a "MUST HAVE" or "ELITE" reciever. Alot of good ones with some upside, but not elite. I would go defense 1st round CB or DE. Our defense is slow we need some young guys that can swarm the ball.

11. BC26

BC26 Active Member

WR is deep in this draft - no need to draft in RD #1. If Martin works on the left side, we can draft a right tackle later in the draft. That leaves CB and DE...so I go TE (preferably Tyler Eifert) as long as we aren't drafting too high. Otherwise, BPA at CB or DE/OLB. Of course, a guy like Teo could change that thinking...:ponder:

12. nopokerinoot

nopokerinoot Well-Known Member

if ireland picks another DE in the first two rounds, after picking 4 in the first 72 picks in his 5 drafts...

13. Phins28

Phins28 A True Fan

A wide receiver, pass rusher, corner, ball hawk free safety or Manti te'o, no ****ing stinky offensive lineman or 400 pound DE.

14. Dizzy

Dizzy Member

Top rated WR.

15. Kevlared

Kevlared Well-Known Member

WR. this team's biggest problem is the inability to score points. We're averaging less than 19 pts a game. thats ranked 27th in the league. the offense is averaging 310 yards a game. thats 30th in the league. The Defense has some holes. but has played well for the most part. the point margin the last 2 weeks has also been skewed by our special teams putting the D in terrible positions twice. give the pats and niners the ball inside our 10 yard line.

16. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

WR, TE, WR, CB, OL. In that order.

17. WaxOn WaxOff

WaxOn WaxOff Starter Finheaven VIP

TE Eifert assuming he looks good at the combine. CB rd 2A and OT or WR 2B. Of course it depends on FA signings.

18. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Big difference between a 3-4 DE and a 4-3 DE.

19. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 Starter

Best WR available, then trade back down to take the next best WR available...

20. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

Lets not trade down again this year. More picks does not mean more talent. Lets take the best player who can contribute right away. If thats WR like Allen, CB like Milliner or DE like Dion Jordan. Pass rusher at the top should grade out the highest as it has the best top end talent in this draft. Get a guy to cause havoc across from Wake and the push from Starks and Odrick on passing downs. WR will have the best talent in the 2nd round and thats where we should address it.

21. BigSportShop

BigSportShop BigSportShop.com

Lol

22. MrEd

MrEd A True Fan

Depending on if we lose more games and have a top ten pick or we end with a top 15 pick DE if we let Starks walk. WR to compliment Jennings or Wallace in FA if we let Hartline walk. Use 2nd round picks on CB and DE or WR depending on what we selected in the 1st round. "If" after we Tag Jake Long we trade him for a 1st and 3rd round pick? We draft a RT with his 1st round pick and obtain BPA with the three 3rd round picks. If Long stays under the Tag, the two 3rd rounders are BPA.

23. Birdmond

Birdmond FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

If I read another post suggesting it is possible to tag and trade Jake Long I think my head will explode.

24. MrEd

MrEd A True Fan

It's possible, live with it. But I'd keep him.

25. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 Seasoned Veteran

How about our 1st and and a 3rd and a swap of 2nd's to move up and get Jarvis Jones, since there is not WR worth a top 20 pick. Jones would be a difference maker helping Wake and our secondary.

26. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

I see us not resigning Long in the offseason, but the FO signing a zoneblocking scheme T and OG. Even with all of the cap money we have I don't see them making a big splash. Perhaps the biggest signing will be a WR or TE to help Tannyhill. I say this because the Fins now run a very complicated offense that has proven tough for WR's and TE's to pick up.

I also don't understand why people think Ireland will trade down this draft to garner more picks. Since Parcells left the organization Ireland has traded up in the two drafts he has been in charge of when a player he wants is available.

My FA period would look something like this. Sign Jennings (WR) from GB, Cook (T) from Tennessee, Dietrich-Smith (G) from Green Bay and also a zone blocking RT.

If we are drafting in the top 10 I could really see us drafting a pass rushing DE. It's been proven the only way you can stop a top 5 QB in the league is to get CONSISTENT pressure. I know we are the #4 team in sacks right now but they just don't come at the opportune time or with consistently. So for my first pick I would be hoping for either Mingo, Moore, Warner, or Jordan.

As I stated above Ireland has actually moved up in his past two drafts and I could see him jumping back into the first round this year. This could easily be done by trading one of our 2nd and 3rd picks. They could go with a WR, CB or FS all of which are needs. For this run lets just say they draft a CB, either Milliner or Banks.

In the 2nd round they could look to draft a WR because if you look at Philbins past history in Green Bay that is when most were selected. I could see anyone from Corradelle Patterson, Da'Rick Rogers, Deandre Hopkins, or Steadman Baily.

In the 3rd round they could look to draft a FS either Bacarri Rambo, Roberts Lester or Shaun Williams. Hell I could even see them drafting Ryan Swopes who was Tannyhills favorite target at A & M as well and drafting a S in the 4th.

If we came away with the additions via FA and the draft I would be very happy.

27. Kyndig

Kyndig Seasoned Veteran Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

It is our lack of ability to score points that is the primary reason we don't win and is responsible for 100% of our losses. What has a solid defense gotten us over these past 10 years?
    Now adays, Corner backs are less valuable than they used to be because of the rules changes and the player safety stuff, they simply aren't as effective as they used to be. In fact, there
    is no longer such a thing as a shut down corner because of illegal contact rules and nobody is affraid of going over the middle because the dbs are affraid of getting fined so they don't hit receivers in a way that is intimidating. The most valuable position on defense is a pass rusher. Receivers and tight ends are more valuable for this team if one measures overall impact with the primary weakness of this football team which is a lack of explosive play makers that score points. We need to score points dude!

28. NyPhan23

NyPhan23 Starter

ya but if you have a dumb db... they sure can hurt you with the new rules as well.

on that note... i do agree with you that our needs are not cornerback heavy in the grand scheme of things.

29. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

One thing the Dolphins lack is elite players. Miami has some good players to build around, but if there's an elite guy available when the Dolphins pick that's the direction the team has to go. I think the best chance of that might be a DE or, as much as fans hate to hear it, an offensive lineman. Guys like Werner, Jones, Jordan, Matthews and Womack could be there when Miami picks. The last thing we want is to miss on an elite guy to trade down for more picks.

30. Exuro

Exuro Well-Known Member

with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds i don't see any reason why Miami would trade down, unless it was for a higher round pick in the 2014 draft.

31. fakespike

fakespike Starter

#7 (we suck): Manti Te'o
    #24 (trade colts 2nd and bears 3rd): Keenan Allen
    #37 Tavon Austin
    #69 Zach Ertz

32. Jamaicankid21

Jamaicankid21 A True Fan

I prefer Dion Jordan to go opposite side of Wake.

33. Pinkboy

Pinkboy A True Fan

The Colts pick is going to be in the lower end of the 2nd. There is no way you're going to move up to the lower end of the 1st with a lower 2nd and a measly low 3rd.

This isn't madden. You will have to give up your 2a pick, which is miami's next pick after 24.

Lets hope the Dolphins keep losing so they have high picks in each round... which makes it easier, and more affordable, to move up

34. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Pass rushing DE or CB.

35. 2413fanphins

2413fanphins A True Fan

I think WR/DE/CB are interchangeable as a #1 need, depending on how the board falls. I am leaning towards DE, with the availability at the top of the first. than grab a WR and CB in round two. those three areas, need to be the top three picks this year, in some order.

36. Jamaicankid21

Jamaicankid21 A True Fan

I got my wish!!!!

37. JEDIJ007

JEDIJ007 It's a trap!

Deion ****in Jordan!

38. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

Where in Jamaica are you from? I lived in Runaway Bay for a while, near Ocho Rios.