Addressing the 1st Round | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Addressing the 1st Round

TE Eifert assuming he looks good at the combine. CB rd 2A and OT or WR 2B. Of course it depends on FA signings.

Best WR available, then trade back down to take the next best WR available...

Lets not trade down again this year. More picks does not mean more talent. Lets take the best player who can contribute right away. If thats WR like Allen, CB like Milliner or DE like Dion Jordan. Pass rusher at the top should grade out the highest as it has the best top end talent in this draft. Get a guy to cause havoc across from Wake and the push from Starks and Odrick on passing downs. WR will have the best talent in the 2nd round and thats where we should address it.

Simple. I am going to put the 4 main positions of need as it seems in the poll, if you're GM...who is your first pick?

Edit: Lol my bad...poll seemed to be bugged, but the options were going to be WR, CB, DE, and OT.

Depending on if we lose more games and have a top ten pick or we end with a top 15 pick DE if we let Starks walk. WR to compliment Jennings or Wallace in FA if we let Hartline walk. Use 2nd round picks on CB and DE or WR depending on what we selected in the 1st round. "If" after we Tag Jake Long we trade him for a 1st and 3rd round pick? We draft a RT with his 1st round pick and obtain BPA with the three 3rd round picks. If Long stays under the Tag, the two 3rd rounders are BPA.

Depending on if we lose more games and have a top ten pick or we end with a top 15 pick DE if we let Starks walk. WR to compliment Jennings or Wallace in FA if we let Hartline walk. Use 2nd round picks on CB and DE or WR depending on what we selected in the 1st round. "If" after we Tag Jake Long we trade him for a 1st and 3rd round pick? We draft a RT with his 1st round pick and obtain BPA with the three 3rd round picks. If Long stays under the Tag, the two 3rd rounders are BPA.

If I read another post suggesting it is possible to tag and trade Jake Long I think my head will explode.

How about our 1st and and a 3rd and a swap of 2nd's to move up and get Jarvis Jones, since there is not WR worth a top 20 pick. Jones would be a difference maker helping Wake and our secondary.

I see us not resigning Long in the offseason, but the FO signing a zoneblocking scheme T and OG. Even with all of the cap money we have I don't see them making a big splash. Perhaps the biggest signing will be a WR or TE to help Tannyhill. I say this because the Fins now run a very complicated offense that has proven tough for WR's and TE's to pick up.

I also don't understand why people think Ireland will trade down this draft to garner more picks. Since Parcells left the organization Ireland has traded up in the two drafts he has been in charge of when a player he wants is available.

My FA period would look something like this. Sign Jennings (WR) from GB, Cook (T) from Tennessee, Dietrich-Smith (G) from Green Bay and also a zone blocking RT.

If we are drafting in the top 10 I could really see us drafting a pass rushing DE. It's been proven the only way you can stop a top 5 QB in the league is to get CONSISTENT pressure. I know we are the #4 team in sacks right now but they just don't come at the opportune time or with consistently. So for my first pick I would be hoping for either Mingo, Moore, Warner, or Jordan.

As I stated above Ireland has actually moved up in his past two drafts and I could see him jumping back into the first round this year. This could easily be done by trading one of our 2nd and 3rd picks. They could go with a WR, CB or FS all of which are needs. For this run lets just say they draft a CB, either Milliner or Banks.

In the 2nd round they could look to draft a WR because if you look at Philbins past history in Green Bay that is when most were selected. I could see anyone from Corradelle Patterson, Da'Rick Rogers, Deandre Hopkins, or Steadman Baily.

In the 3rd round they could look to draft a FS either Bacarri Rambo, Roberts Lester or Shaun Williams. Hell I could even see them drafting Ryan Swopes who was Tannyhills favorite target at A & M as well and drafting a S in the 4th.

If we came away with the additions via FA and the draft I would be very happy.

CB is the glaring need this has to be fixed first and foremost if we ever are going to win anything.

The secondary is responsible for 90% of our losses. Draft, f/a, trade, whatever. Do them all but get it done.

But, with the way this team is right now, I like the bpa at need. cb/wr/pass rusher/te/ol in that order.

It is our lack of ability to score points that is the primary reason we don't win and is responsible for 100% of our losses. What has a solid defense gotten us over these past 10 years?
Now adays, Corner backs are less valuable than they used to be because of the rules changes and the player safety stuff, they simply aren't as effective as they used to be. In fact, there
is no longer such a thing as a shut down corner because of illegal contact rules and nobody is affraid of going over the middle because the dbs are affraid of getting fined so they don't hit receivers in a way that is intimidating. The most valuable position on defense is a pass rusher. Receivers and tight ends are more valuable for this team if one measures overall impact with the primary weakness of this football team which is a lack of explosive play makers that score points. We need to score points dude!

ya but if you have a dumb db... they sure can hurt you with the new rules as well.

on that note... i do agree with you that our needs are not cornerback heavy in the grand scheme of things.

One thing the Dolphins lack is elite players. Miami has some good players to build around, but if there's an elite guy available when the Dolphins pick that's the direction the team has to go. I think the best chance of that might be a DE or, as much as fans hate to hear it, an offensive lineman. Guys like Werner, Jones, Jordan, Matthews and Womack could be there when Miami picks. The last thing we want is to miss on an elite guy to trade down for more picks.

with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds i don't see any reason why Miami would trade down, unless it was for a higher round pick in the 2014 draft.

Back
Top Bottom