AFC East analysis..(amended) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC East analysis..(amended)

Gladsadmad

Active Roster
Reaction score
My take..

NY Jets...Offense..Only starter lost was Curtis Conway, and he was replaced by a better WR in J. McCareins. If Pennington stays healthy, the Jets should have no problems scoring points.

Defense...If J.Abraham & D.Robertson don't bounce back in a big way and provide a strong pass rush, they are going to get into shootouts every week. They definitely added speed to their LB corps. Eric Barton & Jonathan Vilma are much more athletic than Mo Lewis & Marvin Jones. They will lose some leadership and veteran savvy because Vilma will probably make rookie mistakes, but overall they improved at the position. The secondary is where the Jets are going to get killed. Losing out on Antoine Winfield was a big blow. Donnie Abraham & David Barrett are mediocre at best. Reggie Tongue is only a slight upgrade over Sam Garnes.

STRENGTHS- Entire Offense
WEAKNESSES- Secondary, D-line (Robertson was a big disappointment)

Bills...Offense..Mike Malarkey's coaching will help more than any personnel moves here. Remember, he made Kordell Stewart look pretty good for a while. He is very creative, but fortunately for us Fin fans he still has the "living statue" Drew Bledsoe. That will hinder him. The biggest problem remains the o-line. They have 4 of 5 starters coming back. Villarreal is a nice upgrade over sluggish Ruben Brown, but is it enough?

Defense..Didn't change much, but didn't need to. I still think that Winfield's loss will be felt. Vincent has more experience, but Winfield was probably the best CB in the NFL against the run. Just ask Ricky. Vincent is on the way down.

STRENGTHS- Entire Defense
WEAKNESSES- O-Line, Immobile QB, WR besides Moulds

Patriots..Offense..Adding Dillon is a nice upgrade over Antowain Smith and will make a big impact when N.E. plays poor run defenses. However, I don't believe that his addition will have a great impact when the Pats play teams like Buffalo, Miami, Seattle, Pittsburgh and Baltimore. The loss of Woody should hurt. I know that they play well together, but Light, Hochstein, Koppen, Andruzzi, and Ashworth simply aren't THAT great. I know I'll catch flack for saying that, but these guys are overacheivers who play is helped greatly by Tom Brady. Brady gets rid of the ball so efficiently and quickly, his o-line doesn't have to hold their blocks very long. I truely believe that their o-line can be exposed in some games. (it's funny how so many people here compain about the lack of stars on the current Dolphins o-line when New England has a bunch of no-names and castoffs.)

Defense....I also think that losing Ted Washington will hurt alot. Traylor is now officially a journeyman. Wilfork should be good, but to expect him to adequately replace the best run-stuffer in the entire NFL as a rookie is a bit much. Don't get me wrong, they should still be an outstanding defense. Their preparation is second to none..thanks to Bilichick. However, I do wonder when age will catch up to this unit. I also wonder if other teams can replicate what the Carolina Panthers did in the SuperBowl. They went no-huddle most of the 2nd half and they simply torched them. New England wasn't allowed to do all of their substitutions and you saw the result. I hope that is the key to figuring them out, otherwise the Pats are going to roll again.

STRENGTHS- Passing game, Front 7
WEAKNESSESS- Not much on paper..just T. Poole & Eugene Wilson

Dolphins..now this is tough for me. It's difficult for me to be completely unbiased because I have such high hopes for the Fins. I'll do my best.

Offense...Feeley is the wild card. If he can show the ability to hit the deep ball, it will open up everything for the offense. He is said (by Spielman)to have a strong and accurate arm..we'll see. He doesn't have to put up pro-bowl numbers for Miami to be a playoff team..he just has to avoid costly mistakes in critical situations (hear that Jay?). David Boston is a HUGE upgrade over D.Thompson. In his career, he has shown the ability to get off bump-and-run coverage and he can stretch the defense just as well as Chambers. This should open up the underneath routes for McMichael. Unlike the Bills, the Fins completely overhauled their weak o-line. The status quo wasn't good enough. The new line will take time to gel, but they are physically stronger and quicker than last years group. I think Miami would be wise to employ a quick passing game to offset the inexperience of the new lineman. Having a coach like Mark Trestman should help in this area. The running game should be improved. These new starters are more athletic and should be able to pull & trap with more effectiveness which will allow Ricky more lanes to run through.

Defense..Despite Miami's outstanding pass-rush, they ranked 21st against the pass. The problems should be solved with improved speed in the secondary. Poole, Howard & Freeman are all faster than the players they're replacing. Howard, in particular is a solid addition. He is more fundamentally sound than Buckley..not to mention much younger. The front 7 returns intact and, barring injury, they should help the Fins stay near the top in the league in pts allowed.

STRENGTHS- Entire defense, running game, WR's
WEAKNESSES- Pass Blocking, inconsistent QB play

Gladsadmad said:
Howard, in particular is a solid addition. He is more fundamentally sound than Buckley..not to mention much younger.

Can't take too much away from T-Buck though, he's been there for us time and time again. Fundamentally sound or not, he was always a big game player and thats not something you can teach.

I didn't mean to knock Buckley too much. I know that he came up big @ Buffalo and vs. the Colts. I'm just having a hard time trying to figure out how Miami was 21st against the pass with a terrific pass rush and two solid starting CB's. Who was the weak link? Was is Marion? Was it Madison? Fletcher hardly played.

madison and the safties brock and sammy were the weak links. Madison got beat deep alot and brock and sammy were slow. All 3 of these players are pro bowl proformers but now wit the addition of pool and howard i dont think we will get beat deep as often. and sammy i believe is younger than marion and he is very respected so its good we still have him arround. and thank god we dumped marion cause he just got arrested

i think that ur afc east prediction was on the money
my surprise pick of the yr tho is arizona. they are going to surprise alot of people. boldin/fitzgerald=moss/carter, and denny green was the coach in minny during their best yrs. thats my pick tho

Gladsadmad said:
My take..

STRENGTHS- Entire defense, running game, WR's
WEAKNESSES- Pass Blocking, inconsistent QB play

This was a good read, but I wonder if some will say you gave us a little more then a fair grade, also if you are doing strenghts and weaknesses you should include DW he will be more of a reason for failure then the players. He insatlled Forester as the OC so he can control and play conservative football. From what I've seen from Dave, from the Bears job till now is a guy who just doesn't understand what it takes to win. Anything is possible, but with DW as HC we will be below avg. in games with good teams.

Clumpy said:
Your OL is the worst in the division
WHAT !! THE JILLS HAVE THE WORST OL IN THE NFL ... THE FINS WHERE BAD LAST YEAR BUT NOT NEARLY AS BAD AS THE JILLS . COME ON MAN BLEDSOE SPENT MOST OF HIS TIME ON HIS BACK .

Great job Gladsmad, just wanted to add.

Jets-
No comment. :up:

Bills-
Saying that Trestman would help the fins, I guess it's safe to say that Mcnally will help the bills' OL? If Mcgahee is 100%, he would be a great alternative while Henry is resting. Henry played with a broken leg last year. The running game should help Drew and the passing game. If Drew is given all the time to throw watch out.

We lost Winfield and his tackling abilities but gained a cb who can come up w/ INT's. For those who follow the bills closely, we know that Winfield was a great tackler but has also given up 5-10 yards for 1st downs time and again but if he got close to a player, there was no way that player was getting away from AW's tackle.

Spikes, Milloy ,Posey and Sam Adams have a full year under their belt playing together. I expect our D to even get better barring injuries. Hopefully Kelsay has gotten rid of his rookie jitters and step up.

Fins-
Is the OL talent better than last year? Trestman was a good addition to the staff but who will be calling the shots on gameday? What kind of coordinator is Chris? Which Boston will emerge, the probowler or the headcase? If Fiedler starts we know that the fins aren't gonna have deep balls and if he is to succeed, the fins better have all all probowl OL. This time last year a probowler by the name of Griese was ahead of Feely who is an unproven starter and yet Griese couldn't beat out Fiedler.

The same D that has been solid but couldn't dominate when it mattered most is getting old and you hardly have any depth . If Zach, Seau, Bowens, Surtain gets lost to injury you could be in trouble. Eddie Moore is as proven as any rookie in this years draft.

Pats- this team may have gotten better all around IMO. Colvin should be considered to be a "new" addition after missing the entire year. Washington is gone but if there is one position that any rookie can learn quick, that would be DT and Wilfork is gonna be beast in this league. Add to the fact that the NE staff has proven to get the best out of players with lesser talent.

Just like Boston, which Dillon will show up, the probowler or the headcase? Not to mention his injuries.

IMO , I doubt any team in the AFCE will be a pushover against any division rival. We will beat the crap out of each other in the AFCE and the other AFC teams will benefit from it.

NE is still the cream of the crop right now simply because they have the best Coach and Best QB in the division. I think We can compete with them, but NE really scares me since they upgraded their only glaring Weakness, RB.

Dolphin Dan said:
NE is still the cream of the crop right now simply because they have the best Coach and Best QB in the division. I think We can compete with them, but NE really scares me since they upgraded their only glaring Weakness, RB.

I disagree and I've stated this many times before. Wanny has beating NE's coach, time and time again. Mare is the only reason we didn't win the first and Jay's int..is the reason we didn't win the 2nd, but in either game Miami was not outcoached by NE. We split with them the year before and was actually beating them in the season's closure until our Players felt apart, defintely wasn't the coaches who did. NE has not out coached the phins in any matchup that I can remember that involved Wanny. But our players defintely didn't make plays when they were there. That's been the different. Their players make plays when the opportunity arised, our's didn't.

Back
Top Bottom