After Extensive Film Study Of The Game...... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After Extensive Film Study Of The Game......

Face it, guys like Jeno James, Shelton, Bennie Anderson and Hadnot are just not very good. They are all average at best. The Steelers simply dominated our o-line. We need to make some real serious upgrades to our o-line after this season. We also have to hope that guys like Berger, Alabi and Vernon Carey improve.

TX-FinFan said:
We have to realize Pitsburgh has one of the top 5 run defenses in the league and against our average O-Line it made for a long night. I liked what I seen out of Ronnie though. He ran hard and had a few nice shake and bake runs on the Steelers players. Surprised to not see Suggs come in for a few carries.

What do you make of the coverage put on Chambers? Seems he just couldn't do much against Ike Taylor. Was he being doubled? I would like to see more of Hagan out there.

I was surprised how well they ran with Parker against our D.
My guess would be that Polamalou was covering CC over the top and had C/Pep thrown more to him he may have had 3 pics. Polamalou is a sneaky little fella who has great speed in space, he would have closed pretty quick on anything over the middle. JMO

If you take away Willies 32 yard run he finish with 83 yards on 28 carries almost 3 ypc. The big thing is Pittsburgh never abandoned the run. Even when they were down they still ran the ball. It kept the D honest. Once Miami got away from the running game Pitt. dropped 6 into coverage and dared them to throw, It worked. Pitt has a very good defense but we gave them a great game. Next week will be better.

MIAMI_GUNNZZ said:
I agree with all you said, but you forgot something.I think offensively what killed us was the offensive coordinator. A few years back i think it was chan gailey or norv turner. He would call a wide reciever screen every other play. I would yell at the tv everytime he called it. The play calling imo was horrible. I forgot mcmicheal and chambers was on our team at one point . We were first down in the red zone and not once did we run the ball. pitt was bum rushing our back field all night long. How about running a screen play? Milarkeys play calling to me is all about trickery and deception. We needed to just line up and run the ball. Line up drop back and throw the ball. We tried to run a flea flicker and a reverse. with no results. im so angy right now its hard to put my thoughts together. Its one game we will get better. IMO if our off coordinator from last year was calling this game. we would have won this game!

I noticed this, where I pointed out the lack of running plays called was to point that out, but I was mainly trying to focus on the players and how they performed/executed

I agree with what everyone has said on this thread. Good thread and good posts from everyone. I saw things that needed improvement and there is no reason they shouldn't improve. We may not have every piece of the Super Bowl puzzle in place right now, but we should have at worst the pieces to a wild card contending puzzle.

We should all realize that expecting a Superbowl birth this year is not realistic. Just because all these media outlets and magazines start hyping up a team doesn't mean anything. A lot of things have to come together to become a team that gets to the Superbowl. A wildcard playoff birth is a realistic goal. When Nick was named head coach, I am sure he didn't expect us to be in a Superbowl in year 2 of his plan. I think it will take a couple more years of continuing to build through the draft and free agency to get where we want to be.

DefensiveEnd#76 said:
We should all realize that expecting a Superbowl birth this year is not realistic. Just because all these media outlets and magazines start hyping up a team doesn't mean anything. A lot of things have to come together to become a team that gets to the Superbowl. A wildcard playoff birth is a realistic goal. When Nick was named head coach, I am sure he didn't expect us to be in a Superbowl in year 2 of his plan. I think it will take a couple more years of continuing to build through the draft and free agency to get where we want to be.
i agree, nice post

jdprock said:
I believe the coaches lost the game we should have been running the ball or very short passes to run the clock and try to win the game with defense. I think the coaches didnt have confidence in our D to hold them at the end of the game

Sorry, but I have to ask, DID YOU SEE THE GAME?? Did you see what happened when we ran the ball?? Did you see how great our defense was at he end of the game?? 87 yard TD on a "you gotta em, no you gotta em, opps crap I was supposed to have em" play. We played a champioship team in their house and played pretty good for a first game. We will get better, but I don't see how you can say it was the coaches fault more than the players. The only way I can see that is maybe the defense is a little too complicated for the players new to the system. Maybe we should have scaled it back some so they knew more of what they were doing. Sorry but I had to rant at someone.

KTOWNFINFAN said:
Sorry, but I have to ask, DID YOU SEE THE GAME?? Did you see what happened when we ran the ball?? Did you see how great our defense was at he end of the game?? 87 yard TD on a "you gotta em, no you gotta em, opps crap I was supposed to have em" play. We played a champioship team in their house and played pretty good for a first game. We will get better, but I don't see how you can say it was the coaches fault more than the players. The only way I can see that is maybe the defense is a little too complicated for the players new to the system. Maybe we should have scaled it back some so they knew more of what they were doing. Sorry but I had to rant at someone.

I agree, the defensive players definetly blew the game. There are many things that happened that is the stat vault of NFL history tell us we wouldn't have been successful.

1. We gave up 1 100 yard rusher, the team with a 100 yard rusher typically wins.

2. We threw the ball 37 times.

3. We lost the turnover battle.

That play to Miller was awful, I don't know if our defense was tired and worn down or if that was a complete blown coverage. We better get better at covering TE's or the Pats are going to stick it up our rears.

DefensiveEnd#76 said:

I agree to a certain extent. Many teams have recently come out of nowhere to win Super Bowls in recent years. I can't think of a team that has methodically built a Super Bowl team lately. The 2000 Ravens were a suprise, in fact we beat them handily in week 3 of that season, the 2001 Pats were th biggest surprise of all, the 02 Bucs were also and the Steelers themselves kind of came out of nowhere after having a terrible year with Tommy Maddox at QB. I agree an SB birth is unlikely quite yet, but in troday's NFL I wouldn't rule anything out. It seems like any team that catches fire in November and December has a chance.

For nearly three quarters we took it to the SteelBoys,and actually took the lead from them.I'm as disappointed as any of you guys believe me.There's probably only a couple of other teams imo that could've put up any better a fight than our FinMen.Alot of things could've and should've been different.I know in Saban's case...I would've literally BURIED the challenge flag into the back of the head of the ref that was only 6 or 7 yards away from our sideline.And as far as the blown coverage on Miller's TD,alot of my so-called FinFans were calling for Zachs head."ALL" of the teams in our beloved NFL would salivate at the chance to have Zach roaming their fields."I BLEED AQUA/ORANGE"!!! Win or lose.....those are my boys. I don't always agree or like the decisions that are made,but I have an undying passion for my Boys In Aqua...I live and die with them.I'd like to think that most of you guys do the same.Just remember...Don't forget who we were playing.We played the world champions tooth and nail for three quarters on their field.I applaud our guys' efforts.Things will get better...............

Back
Top Bottom