allen or patterson? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

allen or patterson?

Wilson is not coming out? He left the team so where would he go?
Thats what I was wondering...I figured that whole situation would almost force him to come out this year. And to be honest...hes a dang good player. Id take him in the 2nd all day even with the whole situation...he would be a steal anything past that

Thats what I was wondering...I figured that whole situation would almost force him to come out this year. And to be honest...hes a dang good player. Id take him in the 2nd all day even with the whole situation...he would be a steal anything past that
He's in a similar situation as Mike Williams of the Bucs. Williams quit on Syracuse, at the time he had 49 receptions, 746 yards and 6 TDs in 7 games and he went 4th round. I would think Marquess Wilson, depending on his workouts and interviews, will go 3rd - 4th round.

I would feel good about either in the 1st. I see All Pro potential in both, and I see both as good fits. Patterson is a guy who I find myself liking more and more. You don't get that kind of quickness on that kind of frame.

not sure why Allen only runs a 5 yard comeback route in that entire video.

Two very different WRs to compare.

Allen is all quick-twitch physicality. He plays a very muscular game and will put his body on the line. He fights for every yard. Does have speed and a good change of direction, but not what you'd call a smooth runner. He looks very suited to the WCO to me. After his decommitment from Alabama to play with his brother and then the way he reacts to his brother's pretty wild QB play, I'm a little worried about him being a diva receiva. No other basis for the impression than that, but it's a gut feeling. He's made for the NFL though. Whoever drafts him won't discover he wasn't physically up to it, that's for sure. The character side is another question though, for me.

Patterson is just ridiculously smooth. He has amazing burst from the off and plenty of long speed. But it's the way he changes direction with the maximum efficiency and minimum loss of speed that makes him such a threat. Vision is superb and not prone to cutting laterally to find space. Has a great head fake and double move. Big guy - a very tough matchup for a DB but probably doesn't play to his size like Allen does.

He looks very raw to me though and I don't know if he'll be a WCO WR at the end of it. If we had the time and the coach to develop him, I'd prefer him over just about anyone. But I don't believe Ireland will take the gamble of picking a player in a massive need position who isn't ready for the NFL in Year 1. Certainly, his draft history suggests he won't.

Wilson is not coming out? He left the team so where would he go?

Was not aware of this. Another thing that happened while I was in Japan. Unfortunately I missed quite a few things during the immediate run-up to the wedding and the honeymoon.

He's in a similar situation as Mike Williams of the Bucs. Williams quit on Syracuse, at the time he had 49 receptions, 746 yards and 6 TDs in 7 games and he went 4th round. I would think Marquess Wilson, depending on his workouts and interviews, will go 3rd - 4th round.

I think the situation is a little bit different. I get what you're saying but from what I'm gathering, the nuances are different.

For one thing the coaches in charge of Syracuse certainly didn't have Mike Leach's history which is a big red flag. Mike Leach was fired for abusing players. A tiger doesn't change his stripes. He may be more careful now not to step over what he perceives to be the line, but the same attitude and same motivations that drove his abuse in Texas Tech are still present in Washington State and that's what it looks like Marquess Wilson was getting at. Here are the pertinent paragraphs in his open letter:

This was going to be our year. My teammates and I were aspiring to be the winning team you deserve. Unfortunately for all, the new coaching staff has destroyed that endeavor. I believe coaches have a chance to mold players, to shape men, to create greatness. However, the new regime of coaches has preferred to belittle, intimidate and humiliate us. This approach has obviously not been successful, and has put a dark shadow on this program.

My teammates and I have endured this treatment all season long. It is not "tough love". It is abuse. This abuse cannot be allowed to continue. I feel it is my duty to stand up and shed light on this situation by sacrificing my dreams, my education and my pride. I resign from this team. I am deeply sorry to those I am letting down. I am not a quitter. I was raised by my family, and many previous coaches to exhibit dedication and embrace sacrifice, but there comes a time when one has to draw a line in the sand.

When I see that and I know Mike Leach's history, that matters in my mind. The unfortunate thing is that immediately people hear "abuse" and they think he means physical abuse and therefore if there's no evidence of that, suddenly Wilson is just a liar. But I think it's clear what kind of abuse he's trying to get at when he talks about the coaching staff "preferr(ing) to belittle, intimidate and humiliate us".

The bottom line is Marquess Wilson is a grown man and he has a choice. Sometimes, I think the insane people are the players that choose to put up with that kind of thing just because "it's football".

But back to the point how it's different from Mike Williams, Williams got himself into trouble with academic cheating, which he NEVER 'fessed up to...and the incident which immediately prompted his leaving the team was one where Williams and his buddies were out all night partying and got pulled over by the cops and so he was about to get suspended (since he was already on team probation). In this case we're talking about a kid who was ridden hard from day one by coaches with a checkered history, something pretty much everyone saw including reporters that have talked about Wilson often being singled out by the coaches and forced to do extra work, and he finally broke during a drill that he considered to more of the same BS. He took a stand and left the team.

There could be more to the story and it could very well be that Wilson was constantly a problem breaking team rules and his walking out on that drill was just him being a primadonna and he chose to leave the team rather than face suspension after his walking out on the drill capped off a long history of poor behavior that called for his suspension. I'm sure that's what the coaches will try and say.

But the scouts and general managers will get to the bottom of it pretty easily just by talking to the previous coaches and asking whether Wilson was ever a problem for them. If not then it's probably not going to hurt Wilson much.

What I love about Allen is how he like the contact and seeks out the db instead of running out of bounds. He fights for every yard and he runs routes built for the WCO. He runs slants, deep outs and ins, nice post patterns. If he had a QB that could hit him in stride his numbers would be crazy.

Patternson's change of direction and shiftyness is amazing. I like that alot of times he looks covered and then runs himself out of coverage. I love receivers who can do that, Jennings is like that. God what I wouldn't do to steal Allen in the first and then highway rob Patterson in the 2nd. Receivers would be awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afFxvuAXnzU

Is it just me or does this WR class look really deep? I feel like we can get some nice talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year that maybe you couldn't get in years past. If the guys come out who could it would Allen, Wilson, Patterson, Hunter, Bailey, Austin, Woods, Da'rick Rogers, Terrance Williams, Aaron Dobson has some size and speed but raw, DeAndre Hopkins, Quinton Patton, Cobi hamilton, even Jordan Matthews has some nice size and route running, Swope, and a guy like Denard Robinson as an athlete. I mean damn we should and better fill the need for talent at receiver.

Patternson's change of direction and shiftyness is amazing. I like that alot of times he looks covered and then runs himself out of coverage. I love receivers who can do that, Jennings is like that. God what I wouldn't do to steal Allen in the first and then highway rob Patterson in the 2nd. Receivers would be awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afFxvuAXnzU

What's interesting is that this is only about 15% of the incredible plays he's made this year for Tennessee. Heck, he just had a play against Kentucky during the Vols last game where he literally made half the defenders on the field miss.

He only had 10 kick/punt returns in JUCO and returned 3 of 'em for touchdowns. He's averaging almost 28 yards per kick return for Tennessee with a touchdown, and a few more that were within a shoestring tackle of being one. He's only returned 4 punts this year and averages over 25 yards per punt return, and brought one back for a TD against Vanderbilt.

He's a special talent.

What's interesting is that this is only about 15% of the incredible plays he's made this year for Tennessee. Heck, he just had a play against Kentucky during the Vols last game where he literally made half the defenders on the field miss.

He only had 10 kick/punt returns in JUCO and returned 3 of 'em for touchdowns. He's averaging almost 28 yards per kick return for Tennessee with a touchdown, and a few more that were within a shoestring tackle of being one. He's only returned 4 punts this year and averages over 25 yards per punt return, and brought one back for a TD against Vanderbilt.

He's a special talent.

Yeah I have to agree, he shiftiness is just incredible. Talk about YAC ability. No way this kid drops to the 2nd but if he did wow would I like to grab him maybe even in a trade up scenario to go along with a nice pasrusher in the 1st or Allen himself. How sick would that look to have both. A guy can dream.

Is it just me or does this WR class look really deep? I feel like we can get some nice talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds this year that maybe you couldn't get in years past. If the guys come out who could it would Allen, Wilson, Patterson, Hunter, Bailey, Austin, Woods, Da'rick Rogers, Terrance Williams, Aaron Dobson has some size and speed but raw, DeAndre Hopkins, Quinton Patton, Cobi hamilton, even Jordan Matthews has some nice size and route running, Swope, and a guy like Denard Robinson as an athlete. I mean damn we should and better fill the need for talent at receiver.
If everyone comes out it could be deep as you said. Im certainly with you with taking WRs with our first two picks if the right players are on the board. I wouldn't be opposed to taking Allen/Patterson in the 1st and maybe a Bailey/Hopkins in the 2nd. We need help at CB, pass rusher, etc. But the fact is...our defense isn't all that bad, they are good enough to keep us in games. This team is going only as far as Tannehill takes them, which is why our priority better be getting him as many weapons as possible.

If everyone comes out it could be deep as you said. Im certainly with you with taking WRs with our first two picks if the right players are on the board. I wouldn't be opposed to taking Allen/Patterson in the 1st and maybe a Bailey/Hopkins in the 2nd. We need help at CB, pass rusher, etc. But the fact is...our defense isn't all that bad, they are good enough to keep us in games. This team is going only as far as Tannehill takes them, which is why our priority better be getting him as many weapons as possible.

I totally agree. I want impact players. If we can find the next Aldon Smith with our first rounder then that s no brainer. BUt if we can find a stud receiver and a 2nd one drops to us in the 2nd round, I'm all over it. INstantly we have more offense. Then turn around and fill the other needs. With this being a deep class at passrusher as well we may very well get someone who can get after it in the 2nd or a corner at that spot.

Back
Top Bottom