Another trade that can change the draft! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Another trade that can change the draft!

uhhh...it's a 2010 pick...has no effect this yr....didnt see the falcons drafting a TE early anyway.

I had them taking Pettigrew. Actually, it makes tons of sense with a new QB. LJ was a butterfingers last year, and, Pettigrew would've helped. Obviously they were looking at the TE position. Overall, I think they probably did the right thing, becuase Gonzales will help Ryan immensely.

Not a big fan of selecting any TE in the first two rounds! I know BPettigrew is suppose to be almighty but so was Olsen and Davis and they've had zero impact on their teams. O.Daniels was great for Houston and he was a 6th rounder or so, Boss for the Giants was a 5th or later etc... let's just wait on a TE and shore up the pass rush and secondary first please.

with all due respect, pettigrew is a much better blocker and is a lot bigger than greg olsen

pettigrew is not as athletic as vernon davis, but he won't whine as much :) (you're not investing a top 10 pick also, like davis cost the 49ers... )

anyways, i think olsen did quite well in a chicago offence that clearly never asked their TEs to work the seams

davis has been in a bad situation in san fran since the day he got drafted, part of it is his fault, but he can't throw the ball to himself also :rolleyes2:

i think the pettigrew selection makes a lot of sense according to those factors:
1- our staff LOVES big guys who can block, and pettigrew is that guy (they also love 2 TE sets)
2- a lot of questions regarding our TE situation (talent-wise, and signability because of their free agency)
3- pettigrew has no bust factor whatsoever IMO. He might flop as a pass catching TE but you're bound to get an excellent blocker. it's a safe pick from that standpoint.
4- Pettigrew would upgrade our red zone efficiency, which has been a real problem last year

i think the fins will pass on him though if butler is available... forgot to mention, sorry !

Last edited by a moderator:
I had them taking Pettigrew. Actually, it makes tons of sense with a new QB. LJ was a butterfingers last year, and, Pettigrew would've helped. Obviously they were looking at the TE position. Overall, I think they probably did the right thing, becuase Gonzales will help Ryan immensely.

if gonzales stays healthy, he could have a darn good year !

with all due respect, pettigrew is a much better blocker and is a lot bigger than greg olsen

pettigrew is not as athletic as vernon davis, but he won't whine as much :) (you're not investing a top 10 pick also, like davis cost the 49ers... )

anyways, i think olsen did quite well in a chicago offence that clearly never asked their TEs to work the seams

davis has been in a bad situation in san fran since the day he got drafted, part of it is his fault, but he can't throw the ball to himself also :rolleyes2:

i think the pettigrew selection makes a lot of sense according to those factors:
1- our staff LOVES big guys who can block, and pettigrew is that guy (they also love 2 TE sets)
2- a lot of questions regarding our TE situation (talent-wise, and signability because of their free agency)
3- pettigrew has no bust factor whatsoever IMO. He might flop as a pass catching TE but you're bound to get an excellent blocker. it's a safe pick from that standpoint.
4- Pettigrew would upgrade our red zone efficiency, which has been a real problem last year

So could a couple other TE's.

Just one...Dan Gronkowski'; 6'6" 255

Campus: 4.74 in the 40-yard dash … 1.71 10-yard dash … 2.68 20-yard dash … 4.21 20-yard shuttle … 11.61 60-yard shuttle … 6.99 three-cone drill … 33-inch vertical jump … 9'8" broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 33 times … 635-pound squat.
Combine: 4.79 in the 40-yard dash … 1.60 10-yard dash … 2.77 20-yard dash … 4.26 20-yard shuttle … 6.92 three-cone drill … 33-inch vertical jump … 10'2" broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 26 times.

Pettigrew; 6'6" 263

Combine: 4.80 in the 40-yard dash … 1.70 10-yard dash … 2.70 20-yard dash … 4.37 20-yard shuttle … 7.12 three-cone drill … 33-inch vertical jump … 9'10" broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times … 34 7/8-inch arm length … 10 3/4-inch hands. … Chose not to run 20-yard shuttle.

So could a couple other TE's.

Just one...Dan Gronkowski'; 6'6" 255

Campus: 4.74 in the 40-yard dash … 1.71 10-yard dash … 2.68 20-yard dash … 4.21 20-yard shuttle … 11.61 60-yard shuttle … 6.99 three-cone drill … 33-inch vertical jump … 9'8" broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 33 times … 635-pound squat.
Combine: 4.79 in the 40-yard dash … 1.60 10-yard dash … 2.77 20-yard dash … 4.26 20-yard shuttle … 6.92 three-cone drill … 33-inch vertical jump … 10'2" broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 26 times.

Pettigrew; 6'6" 263

Combine: 4.80 in the 40-yard dash … 1.70 10-yard dash … 2.70 20-yard dash … 4.37 20-yard shuttle … 7.12 three-cone drill … 33-inch vertical jump … 9'10" broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times … 34 7/8-inch arm length … 10 3/4-inch hands. … Chose not to run 20-yard shuttle.

he's definitely got size and measureables... i haven't seen him play though so i couldn't comment on his play.

but one important fact to keep in mind is the dolphins signed Joey Haynos last year, a maryland product, and they must've watched some tape of him during the draft process of 2008... if i'm right, maryland run an awful lot of 2 TE sets so they might've watched a lot of gronkowski without intentionnaly wanting to, and sometimes those kinds of "coincidences" create interest in a player (obviously, they have to like what they see on tape, if not, he won't even be on our board ... )

i thought it was an interesting point to share ... :)

he's definitely got size and measureables... i haven't seen him play though so i couldn't comment on his play.

but one important fact to keep in mind is the dolphins signed Joey Haynos last year, a maryland product, and they must've watched some tape of him during the draft process of 2008... if i'm right, maryland run an awful lot of 2 TE sets so they might've watched a lot of gronkowski without intentionnaly wanting to, and sometimes those kinds of "coincidences" create interest in a player (obviously, they have to like what they see on tape, if not, he won't even be on our board ... )

He also has a brother named Rob, that plays for Arizona as a TE..that also is 6'6" 265....must have strong gene's in the family.

Even if the TE is a probowl blocker and receiver, and I'm not saying Pettigrew is, but he has all the physical talents to be outstanding at both. Would you hnot want the best player of his position at 25? Would he not be BPA regardless of our teams needs? This guy is rated in the top 15 and most scouts and anaysts have said he is the best TE in years to come out but he doesn't have the elite speed that attracts the higher draft grade. With our 2 TEs being FAs next year and this guy can do everything we want him to do. I think it would be a nice pick for us.

Even if the TE is a probowl blocker and receiver, and I'm not saying Pettigrew is, but he has all the physical talents to be outstanding at both. Would you hnot want the best player of his position at 25? Would he not be BPA regardless of our teams needs? This guy is rated in the top 15 and most scouts and anaysts have said he is the best TE in years to come out but he doesn't have the elite speed that attracts the higher draft grade. With our 2 TEs being FAs next year and this guy can do everything we want him to do. I think it would be a nice pick for us.

The problem with experts are they are wrong more than they are right. Thats why teams take players that are hyped...and miss those players who aren't.

yeah, scouting without intention lol
that's how Cameron and Mueller got aware of Drew Mormino. they were actually scouting Joe Staley, but Mormino caught their eye.

Back
Top Bottom