Any chance Eddie Moore unseats Greenwood? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any chance Eddie Moore unseats Greenwood?

Its weird. The Phins have made zero efforts to prevent Morlon from hitting the open market...so the could be planning for when they let him go, and if that were the case I would give Moore and Bua chances to play. Where's Bua during all of this? I believe his official position is considered to be MLB, and Zach has taken him under his wing and all...so I wonder why it would mean Morlon moving inside rather than getting Bua some extra reps at the position where he'll be a backup for hopefully years to come...

Unless of course, the idea is to get Moore and Jenkins, guys who have a decent shot at unseating Morlon Greenwood, some time at the OLB position, rather than keeping Morlon at OLB and the other guys behind him. The ideal situation I believe would actually be to have Moore beat Greenwood. If Moore stays stuck behind Greenwood, and never gets playing time, the FO will be more tempted to pay Greenwood some $$$ in 2005 to stay here...because Moore would still be an unknown. If he gets some more exposure though, then it ought to make the FO more comfortable with the prospect of losing Morlon in 2005.

Moore has no shot IMO. Greenwood is miles ahead of him at this point. He played very well last year.

I don't think its as impossible as you make it seem. Moore never got the chance to impress us on a regular basis just because we couldn't see him. Laymen training camp reporters don't necessarily have the know-how to evaluate a guy based on his mini-camps and training camps, so you can almost disregard what we heard from our resident TC reporters in some regards. Keep in mind that despite an initial declaration that Moore will serve as a backup, he impressed the coaches enough that Wannstedt actually put the SSLB spot up for full competition between Morlon and Moore. That ended prematurely, but Wannstedt still seems to want to hang his hat on the Moore selection.

Greenwood didn't set the world on fire or anything last season. He still hasn't made the kind of big plays we need or want at the position. There's no doubt in my mind that Wannstedt is using this injury to Zach's knee to open up the door for Eddie Moore (long term most likely, but also short term), its just up to Eddie to step through it because Wannstedt won't hand him anything.

To say that Morlon Greenwood is "miles" ahead of anyone at this point IMO is a bit misguided...it implied that Greenwood himself has made tons of progress but so far, as far as starting OLBs go, he is still below average.

I dont know if I'd call Morlon "below average". Hes never going to put up huge #s playing alongside Zach and Jr, but hes a steady starting LB and seems to be in position to make the tackle and to know what hes doing.

Nice to see some positive comments on Greenwood.I always thought he got a bad rap.The way the Fins play defense Greenwood doesnt get many chances to tackle.Thats why his stats are usually unimpressive.While not spectacular he is solid and I dont think he will be replaced.

I wouldnt hold out too much hope for Moores chances.He has a history of injuries.He may turn out to be one of those IRL lifers we have had in the past.(Hope Im wrong)

I'll trot out my usual Morlon Greenwood song and dance.

The opportunities he has, and the positions he is put in do not give him the opportunity to shine.

He plays approximately less then 50% of our snaps. Only base 4-3. I dont think he plays goal line defense(Hendricks replaced him last season). He doesnt play nickel, dime, etc.

When he DID play Nickel(due to injury_, or the team played base 4-3 for most of the game, he did very well. He more often then not LEAD the team in tackle, and in all but one game I think, he had more then 7 tackles.

Not only that, but his position, but Zach and Seau dont allow him to shine. Greenwood plays Strongside backer. He deals with the Tight End. On passing plays, he's got to cover him. On running plays, he's got to deal with the Tight End targeting him almost every play.

Seau is the aggressive, blitzing, forward-moving OLB. Zach is the tackle machine. Greenwood is stuck in his position.

Maybe he can shine at MLB?

ckparrothead said:
I don't think its as impossible as you make it seem. Moore never got the chance to impress us on a regular basis just because we couldn't see him. Laymen training camp reporters don't necessarily have the know-how to evaluate a guy based on his mini-camps and training camps, so you can almost disregard what we heard from our resident TC reporters in some regards. Keep in mind that despite an initial declaration that Moore will serve as a backup, he impressed the coaches enough that Wannstedt actually put the SSLB spot up for full competition between Morlon and Moore. That ended prematurely, but Wannstedt still seems to want to hang his hat on the Moore selection.

Greenwood didn't set the world on fire or anything last season. He still hasn't made the kind of big plays we need or want at the position. There's no doubt in my mind that Wannstedt is using this injury to Zach's knee to open up the door for Eddie Moore (long term most likely, but also short term), its just up to Eddie to step through it because Wannstedt won't hand him anything.

To say that Morlon Greenwood is "miles" ahead of anyone at this point IMO is a bit misguided...it implied that Greenwood himself has made tons of progress but so far, as far as starting OLBs go, he is still below average.

One reason I say Greenwood is miles ahead, aside from the fact that he's a 4th year player and Greenwood is essentially a rookie, is a quote I read in a recent Alex Marvez article where he was permitted to sit in on a LB meeting/film session. He said that on film, the dropoff after Zach, Junior, and Greenwood was substantial. And remember, Corey Jenkins was visibly more impressive than Moore last year in training camp.

I'm not saying that he can't or won't become a good player. But at this point, he's way behind Greenwood. And IMO he has no shot to unseat him, regardless of position, because Greenwood represents a sure thing in Jim Bates' defense. He's going to give you the same mistake-free, disciplined play every time out. Textbook.

Greenwood's got plenty of size and speed. If Moore's gonna beat him, he's going to have to show superior instincts, awareness and discipline. And right now, he's not on Morlon's level. Morlon does it right every time. And according to some here, he made fewer mistakes than Junior Seau last year. That's one thing I must say. I can't ever recall saying "Morlon messed up there". Just doesn't happen very often.

gottahavefootba said:
Does anybody think Eddie Moore may unseat Greenwood for Starting strongside linebacker? With Zach out for a while this article http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ul10,0,6436763.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front says Greenwood will move to MLB while Zach is out. With all the praise for Moore last year this would be his best chance. I remember last year before he got hurt there was talk of him competing for starter. If he can get in there now and show he can handle it, Greenwood may get pushed aside.

Not a chance. Greenwood finally hit his stride last year, finishing 5th in tackles and rarely being caught out of postion. Moore is a second year guy who hasn't played in a real game since '03 in college...

--Ross

Greenwood is a decent LB and played good enough to keep his job last year. From what I remember of Moore he still has to play an entire year before we know what we got. He has the tools but can't stay healthy. I think at best he will be a great special teams player.

gordolphin said:
give me a break Eddie Moore has played Zero downs as an NFL Player. He got hurt in his first action in preseason. Now Greenwood may not be spectacular but he did improve a lot . On Moore let´s wait and see.

^^^LOL, tell that too john kitna!

Muck said:
Yes I do. And I'll post it when I get home tonight. :)

Morlon lowered the boom. Actually, I think it was Marc Edwards he hit. Either way, we'll see soon.
Where do u get all theese clips?

Disgustipate said:
I'll trot out my usual Morlon Greenwood song and dance.

The opportunities he has, and the positions he is put in do not give him the opportunity to shine.

He plays approximately less then 50% of our snaps. Only base 4-3. I dont think he plays goal line defense(Hendricks replaced him last season). He doesnt play nickel, dime, etc.

When he DID play Nickel(due to injury_, or the team played base 4-3 for most of the game, he did very well. He more often then not LEAD the team in tackle, and in all but one game I think, he had more then 7 tackles.

Not only that, but his position, but Zach and Seau dont allow him to shine. Greenwood plays Strongside backer. He deals with the Tight End. On passing plays, he's got to cover him. On running plays, he's got to deal with the Tight End targeting him almost every play.

Seau is the aggressive, blitzing, forward-moving OLB. Zach is the tackle machine. Greenwood is stuck in his position.

Maybe he can shine at MLB?
Great post! Ive been saying how underrated Morlon Greenwood is for the last 2 years. Where he is on the field, almost no-one can look spectacular. But i can say i cant remember many times tht i saw Morlon out of position, or miss tackles. Hes a solid player, and i dont see Moore or Jenkins gettin a shot to start unitill Seaus done.

And remember, Corey Jenkins was visibly more impressive than Moore last year in training camp.

Thats simply misleading. Corey Jenkins caught peoples eye because of good reasons and bad reasons. His tackling was horrendous. He was a QB moved to safety, then moved to LB. Of course he's going to have a natural feel for coverage and watching a QB's eyes, that doesn't mean he was in the spot he was supposed to be in 90% of the time. It also doesn't mean he was good at man to man coverage, which is what we require our LBs to do a lot. I like Jenkins, but he'll never be more than a part-time player, who will probably come in on passing downs because of his natural ability to read a QB. Moore was impressive enough to a coach's eye, to put the strong side linebacker position up for grabs, pretty unexpectedly.

Greenwood is in on enough plays that he should have made more big plays than he has. Remember that "big play" meter that we used to evaluate Sammy Knight? Well in 3 years Greenwood has 4 big plays...all sacks. No forced fumbles, no fumble recoveries, no interceptions...heck only even 2 passes defensed. So either this guy is the Deion Sanders of linebacking, or he's just not making the big plays we need our linebackers to make considering the responsibilities our linebackers have.

And if Morlon only plays 50% of downs, thats not an excuse...it just means that he can't beat an aged, slow Junior Seau out as a nickel coverage backer. Remember when Junior got beat down the sidelines in preseason by Michael Pittman and Jaws said "Pittman challenged Junior Seau to see what he has left in the tank, and the answer was nothing" well if the coaches are keeping THAT Junior Seau on the field during pass coverage downs instead of Morlon Greenwood, how is the fact that Greenwood is only on the field 50% of the time, a DEFENSE of his lack of plays?

Hey I was pleasantly surprised by some of the plays Morlon made this season trust me I thought he was finally coming around but that doesn't necessarily even make him an "average" outside linebacker and when we drafted Eddie Moore, we were going for someone we thought would be the next Al Wilson.

Back
Top Bottom