Any serious replies welcome.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any serious replies welcome....

Is there any guess (speculation) on how many players we could purge from our roster without serious cap implications?

Is there anybody out there who thinks it would be feasible to want to trade out of the first round and acquire multiple 2nd round picks?

Just curious if this would be a long term consideration for our team....given the "hope" we could add long term talent to positions of need at a reduced salary

Those are strategies that you follow when you are in cap hell, or you are in rebuild mode and need as many picks as possible.

I don't think we will be trading out of the first round or significantly turning over our roster.

There maybe too much talent at 11 pick to pass up when it could immediately be a huge benefit to this team especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Ok I get it....not a chance to land another top 5 second rounder and third...double up on LB's or 1 LB and an edge in the 2nd I guess....anyway I believe if we can impact our defense we can be in the playoff hunt next season and for years to come...building a championship defense is what this poster would like to see...

I believe we are ok on offense IF we can build the D I'm referring to....of course we need to address the oline, TE and complimentary RB...but I think that can be done in rounds 3 and 4....with a touch of free agent(s)...

Getting one player that has a 75% chance of making a difference is a good deal BUT I don't think we are 1 impact player away from being a threat in our division....I believe we stock up one side of the ball with as many as possible through the draft for a bigger picture looking forward...and as exciting as it would be to score a bunch of points my thoughts are FIRST stop the points being scored, putting us within reach every game, and building a nasty defensive identity

IMO

Ok I get it....not a chance to land another top 5 second rounder and third...double up on LB's or 1 LB and an edge in the 2nd I guess....anyway I believe if we can impact our defense we can be in the playoff hunt next season and for years to come...building a championship defense is what this poster would like to see...

I believe we are ok on offense IF we can build the D I'm referring to....of course we need to address the oline, TE and complimentary RB...but I think that can be done in rounds 3 and 4....with a touch of free agent(s)...

Getting one player that has a 75% chance of making a difference is a good deal BUT I don't think we are 1 impact player away from being a threat in our division....I believe we stock up one side of the ball with as many as possible through the draft for a bigger picture looking forward...and as exciting as it would be to score a bunch of points my thoughts are FIRST stop the points being scored, putting us within reach every game, and building a nasty defensive identity

IMO
I think another impact player in the defense can go along way with our players coming back from injury and adding other pieces in the draft could be a huge lift in the right direction. I appreciate you starting the thread and asking the question. I see your point when you put Parker and Jordan in the picture. I also see that we could get stud at linebacker that will make this team even better. Have a great day bro.

Getting one player that has a 75% chance of making a difference is a good deal BUT I don't think we are 1 impact player away from being a threat in our division....

Well, with all due respect, I think we'd be a completely different football team if we had Earl Thomas, Von Miller, or Bobby Wagner.

Well, with all due respect, I think we'd be a completely different football team if we had Earl Thomas, Von Miller, or Bobby Wagner.

It's a good start for sure..

Are these guys available?

If not who is available in the draft that you think gives us this type of influence/impact?

And ....if only one of these types is attainable....is that better than 2 or three guys that "could", at least, push us forward?

Not disagreeing...just asking

I’m one who thinks you only pick certain positions that high in the draft and other than DE we don’t necessarily need them.

If we could wrangle a trade for Cleveland’s picks at top of second round and it costs only a our first plus a fourth or third I’d consider it. Three picks in the top of the second should get us a great SAM, TE, and OG. Players that could start day one and fill voids. Add a FS and RB later on and I could live with that.

It's a good start for sure..

Are these guys available?

If not who is available in the draft that you think gives us this type of influence/impact?

And ....if only one of these types is attainable....is that better than 2 or three guys that "could", at least, push us forward?

Not disagreeing...just asking

Actually a rumor that Earl Thomas could be on the way out in Seattle. But the point I would like to make there is that rolling the dice on a top prospect who could be an elite defensive talent could indeed change our defense dramatically, very quickly.

I think we stay put and hopefully get someone who can cover a tight end.

Your first question about purging talent is difficult to answer. Almost all of our veteran talent signed to long term contracts would bring a cap hit, but there are a few exceptions. For example, Lawrence Timmons was forced to adjust his contract after he went AWOL in the beginning of the year. The Dolphins can release him without a hit. Who else is gone IMO? Easy cuts...Misi, Cutler, Bushrod, Nate Allen, Verner, and Fales.

Something I don't think fans are focused on is our depth and special teams talent. The front office has difficult decisions to make on Aikens, Thomas, Fede, Parkey, Denny. These guys are all core special teamers and good backup depth.

Other veteran considerations. Do we bring William Hayes back? What about Matt Moore and Damien Williams? I personally think we will look to replace Moore and Williams in the draft.

Speaking of the draft, your idea of trading out of round 1 is not a bad idea. The positions I believe we're targeting; LB, OG, RB, FS, are not premium positions. There should be plenty of starter talent in round 2. However, 2nd round talent isn't necessarily less expensive in the long run because those players hit free agency a year or even two years earlier, depending on a teams' choice to pick up the automatic 5th Year option on 1st rounders. The 2nd contract is usually the biggest one for a player.

Back
Top Bottom