Any Surprise Releases or FA pickups after this season? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Any Surprise Releases or FA pickups after this season?

If Dion Sims gets cut I'd welcome him with open arms. Not a hit in the comp formula.

I like Burton, he is only 26 but plays mostly special teams. Is he a FA after this season?

I believe he is, and I live in NJ so all of my friends/relatives are Eagles fans. They all say he is pretty good. I believe one game he filled in for Ertz who was hurt and he had a monster game like 100 yards and a TD or something. We need to add some of these reasonably priced free agents even if just for depth. Fasano may not be coming back and we have no one that can block.

I believe he is, and I live in NJ so all of my friends/relatives are Eagles fans. They all say he is pretty good. I believe one game he filled in for Ertz who was hurt and he had a monster game like 100 yards and a TD or something. We need to add some of these reasonably priced free agents even if just for depth. Fasano may not be coming back and we have no one that can block.
I agree with you, I really like this kid, not a superstar but not a bad player at all. To be honest with you, Fasano takes up a spot that could be used for a younger player,.

Not at anywhere what he's making right now $6 million
for 12 yards per game receiving for his career

I'm sure we could do better

Yeah, he'd need a new contract. I like him as a blocker. $10M, 3yrs, $5Mgtd, $2M, $3M, out, $5M.

Once a position group for the Dolphins is declared by the fans to be a “strength,” it’s a pretty good bet that it won’t be a strength when the season actually starts.

The defensive line is declared a strength every year, and maybe it is compared to other areas on the team, but in reality they are just a middle of the pack group. The o-line has previously been declared a potential strength with four of five starters former first round picks (Albert, Pouncey, Tunsil, James) but it wasn’t really that good. The WR group was declared an obvious strength this year, but Parker never developed and Cutler stunk and the group became ordinary. Tight ends were declared an obvious improvement (if not a strength) when Julius Thomas and Fasano came aboard, but it was really no better overall than 2016.

Burton WILL get a large contract and is more a slot receiver than a TE. I'd rather keep Landry.

The surprise will be that the Dolphins learn their lesson from the last couple of seasons and won't sign any name free agents that are discarded by other teams. I think Gase and the front office are starting to realize the difference in signing a younger player with development potential, and signing established veterans who are often stuck in their ways or have some deficiency that caused their original team to balk.

I agree with you, I really like this kid, not a superstar but not a bad player at all. To be honest with you, Fasano takes up a spot that could be used for a younger player,.

If we get rid of Fasano (or he retires) we need a TE that can block to replace him, and preferably not a development project. I'd be all for signing Burton AND drafting a mid-high round TE. Keep Gray as the third. At most Fasano has one year left.

I live in Philly area and see Eagles games every week. he would be the perfect signing IMO...lot of potential and he did perform when given the chance. i

I live in Philly area and see Eagles games every week. he would be the perfect signing IMO...lot of potential and he did perform when given the chance. i

Agreed, we need to use FA to start signing ASCENDING players at reasonable prices rather than DESCENDING vets for a fortune

Yeah, he'd need a new contract. I like him as a blocker. $10M, 3yrs, $5Mgtd, $2M, $3M, out, $5M.

I wouldn't even give him that,I'm sure we could find
a huge corn fed blocker either with the draft or undrafted
for less than 20% of that

The surprise will be that the Dolphins learn their lesson from the last couple of seasons and won't sign any name free agents that are discarded by other teams. I think Gase and the front office are starting to realize the difference in signing a younger player with development potential, and signing established veterans who are often stuck in their ways or have some deficiency that caused their original team to balk.
I agree with you that things seem to be changing at least based on the last couple of drafts. Gase has taken the approach of signing potential rather than high priced FAs, this approached hasn't always worked out, but it is a far cry from what went on years back. The concern for me is that we fall back into the bad habit of picking up a Sherman, or Graham in stead of drafting or looking for a young diamond in the rough. Now, in know way am I saying picking up a player in FA is bad, but build the foundation first with good young players and use FA as a filler to take you hopefully to a SB. In other words lets take our time.

Anyway: Do you see any surprise player cuts on the horizon?

I agree with you that things seem to be changing at least based on the last couple of drafts. Gase has taken the approach of signing potential rather than high priced FAs, this approached hasn't always worked out, but it is a far cry from what went on years back. The concern for me is that we fall back into the bad habit of picking up a Sherman, or Graham in stead of drafting or looking for a young diamond in the rough. Now, in know way am I saying picking up a player in FA is bad, but build the foundation first with good young players and use FA as a filler to take you hopefully to a SB. In other words lets take our time.

Interestingly, to me, it seems Gase did his worst in picking high need FAs - Cutler, Thomas, Mualuga(sp).

Back
Top Bottom