Anybody see Anthony Dixon, RB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anybody see Anthony Dixon, RB?

Markcalius

Druggist
Club Member
Reaction score
Height: 6-1. Weight: 240.
Projected 40 Time: 4.56.

Was just perusing the RB rankings in WalterFootball.com and noticed that this guy has decent speed along with some serious mass. Checked out a video of him versus LSU banging out some impressive first downs and showing a little bit of athleticism hurdling a guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTZ7J8FtKkM

Just curious if anybody actually caught enough of his games to have an opinion. Seems like he is in the Ronnie-Ricky realm as far as his measurables go, if the figures above are reliable.

Are you kidding? Been watching this guy pound SEC defenses for 4 years.....he's MSU's all time leading rusher...

One of his more impressive performances was in the Egg Bowl against Ole Miss a few weeks ago...where he not only showed his skills at running between the tackles and pounding out first downs.....but also his versatility...

Motioning out of the backfield and lining up at WR....and running a perfect slant route (head fake and all) and catching the ball for big gain.....then capped off the drive with a very athletic run getting the corner on the defense for a touchdown...

Dixon is my 3rd rated senior RB behind Spiller and Montario Hardesty....

Tough...durable...productive...versatile...experienced back battle tested in the premier defensive conference in football....

Are you kidding? Been watching this guy pound SEC defenses for 4 years.....he's MSU's all time leading rusher...

One of his more impressive performances was in the Egg Bowl against Ole Miss a few weeks ago...where he not only showed his skills at running between the tackles and pounding out first downs.....but also his versatility...

Motioning out of the backfield and lining up at WR....and running a perfect slant route (head fake and all) and catching the ball for big gain.....then capped off the drive with a very athletic run getting the corner on the defense for a touchdown...

Dixon is my 3rd rated senior RB behind Spiller and Montario Hardesty....

Tough...durable...productive...versatile...experienced back battle tested in the premier defensive conference in football....

I share your high opinion of Dixon. My only surprise is that you rate Hardesty above him. I don't think I would.

Yeah a lot of it is gut feeling on Hardesty.....his running style and vision really impresses me....the way he gets the tough yards inside and ran through Brandon Spikes one-on-one (lol).... but can also bounce it outside....runs with good pad level....the only thing he's missing is legitimate break away speed IMO....

If not for his injury history....I think it's possible we'd be looking at the top RB in the draft in Hardesty....but he's shown he can carry the load this year...

I think he'll test well at the combine and be a better pro than college player....

I like just about all the workhorse backs from the SEC in this class....Ben Tate...

Not a big fan of Charles Scott....I actually like Williams better...

Hm. So, walterfootball.com currently projects him coming off the board in rounds 2-4. I take it you are thinking he is closer to 2 than 4 then, eh?

I will admit, I don't see much college football outside of the Pac 10 or Big 12, and so the only guys on my radar in the SEC are the names that are thrown around a lot on the big networks or on these message boards. I haven't seen or heard much discussion of this guy.

Hm. So, walterfootball.com currently projects him coming off the board in rounds 2-4. I take it you are thinking he is closer to 2 than 4 then, eh?

I will admit, I don't see much college football outside of the Pac 10 or Big 12, and so the only guys on my radar in the SEC are the names that are thrown around a lot on the big networks or on these message boards. I haven't seen or heard much discussion of this guy.

You never really hear much discussion about Miss St. players...

I have a solid late 2nd round grade on Dixon....he could move up or down depending on how he tests at the combine and in post season workouts/drills..

But I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he turned out to be a steal and the best NFL RB in this class....the signs were there...(experience, production, versatility, durability, etc..etc..)

He could use a little work in pass protection...but I've never seen many RB's come out of college that didn't need some work in that aspect.....

I definitely see him as a 3 down back in the NFL...

Yeah a lot of it is gut feeling on Hardesty.....his running style and vision really impresses me....the way he gets the tough yards inside and ran through Brandon Spikes one-on-one (lol).... but can also bounce it outside....runs with good pad level....the only thing he's missing is legitimate break away speed IMO....

If not for his injury history....I think it's possible we'd be looking at the top RB in the draft in Hardesty....but he's shown he can carry the load this year...

I think he'll test well at the combine and be a better pro than college player....

I like just about all the workhorse backs from the SEC in this class....Ben Tate...

Not a big fan of Charles Scott....I actually like Williams better...

I don't really share your thoughts on Hardesty. I think he's too limited as an athlete. I like Dixon because I think Dixon has all of the power, plus actual speed.

Personally, I don't like waiting for a Combine to judge a player's breakaway speed. I look for instances of it in the film. If you look hard enough, you think hard enough, and you know enough about the players around him...you can do it.

There's a good example of speed in the YouTube of Dixon running for 60+ yards against Middle Tennessee State. If you watch closely, that cornerback Rod Isaac (#6) gets a 2 yard trail position on him at the 50 yard line. He couldn't get close enough to Dixon to get a hand on him (1 yard trail) until they got to the 12 yard line, and he never got close enough to make a tackle.

The key to that? Rod Isaac has between 4.30 and 4.39 speed. Tells me all I need to know about Dixon's breakaway speed. He has the speed needed to make BIG plays at the next level, not just the little plays.

Bonus: At the end of this video he helicopters into the end zone, lands on his feet like a damn cat, and is instantly poised upon landing to bounce forward and begin running again...but he was already in the end zone. Some guys were just born to carry the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxjw37dZ0IE

The other thing I like about Dixon is he is a true north-south runner. When Sparano labels Hilliard a "big guy that plays big" I think that describes Dixon. He may outrun you laterally because he has underrated speed, but he's always trying to get north-south. He doesn't get cute. He goes north-south and just side steps, absorbs contact and keeps going.

Spiller is the #1 RB in the draft and probably the #1 offensive player period, but I think Dixon or Dwyer could be #2..and I could go back and forth on them.

The other thing I like about Dixon is he is a true north-south runner. When Sparano labels Hilliard a "big guy that plays big" I think that describes Dixon. He may outrun you laterally because he has underrated speed, but he's always trying to get north-south. He doesn't get cute. He goes north-south and just side steps, absorbs contact and keeps going.

Spiller is the #1 RB in the draft and probably the #1 offensive player period, but I think Dixon or Dwyer could be #2..and I could go back and forth on them.

Hilliard is the equivalent of a 230+ pound pawn on a chessboard to me...no side to side or manipulating movements at all....he doesn't impress me in the least...I don't see anything in him that couldn't easily be upgraded on...

Dwyer is a nightmare to try to get a bead on due to playing FB in that triple option...but the fact that he's been so productive from that position is equally impressive....he shows excellent vision getting through all that congestion in the middle of the field and busting long ones....and rarely do you see him get caught from behind...

If Ryan Matthews declares...he's the junior that I'm really impressed with....he'd be in my mix with Dixon, Hardesty, and Dwyer....

I can't conclude one way or the other on Hilliard until I see at least 50 to 100 carries of his in his current pro form, going against starter quality players.

He's a north-south guy that breaks a lot of tackles and can catch the ball, block. There have been worse things in the NFL, for sure.

Yeah I guess so....Curtis Enis was in the NFL...:chuckle:

I've been impressed with Dixon every single year at MSU....but the game that really sold me on him this year prior to the Egg Bowl was earlier against Kentucky where he set the school record for rushing with 252 yards...

Micah Johnson was playing hurt in that game and you could tell...but Dixon has the ability to really impose his will and just about single handedly take over a game himself...

If you don't bottle him up at the LOS and allow him to get to the second level.....you're in for a terrible day....he can break the spirit of your defense.....and I LOVE that in a running back...

I fully agree. That game was an extremely impressive performance.

How good is Dennis Johnson going to be, though? If he ever gets his head screwed on right, matures a little, another MJD.

jonathon dwyer meh...i'd take dixon and matthews both over him

dixon was a flat out monster in that kentucky game...

lex hilliard to me isn't much i don't see anything in him that isn't easily replaceable

i need to watch more of hardesty and dwyer just doesn't do much for me...

spiller now...i love him

by the way ck...slimm informed me that benn declared for the draft today...#2 rated wr imo

Back
Top Bottom