Anyone else think we need to draft a qb first round? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anyone else think we need to draft a qb first round?

The thing is everyone always comes up with an excuse of why a QB drafted in the first round won't be good. Alex Smith, Vince Young, and Matt Leinart were all considered "System QBs" but they all look to have a bright future ahead of them. I'm not saying that we have to draft a QB in the first because it isn't the most pressing need at all but it's not the end of the world if it does happen.

CHAMBERS8484 said:
Brady is the exception, not the rule. Look at the other qbs.
Matt Leinart, Vince Young both look solid.

Peyton Manning, Donovan Mcnabb, Chad Pennington, Michael Vick, David Carr, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, JP Losman, Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman,

Those are all first round picks, not to mention daunte and joey are former first rounders. My point is that the first round QBs are usually starting in this league. There are exceptions like matt hasselbeck, favre, and delhomme, but most of the time the first rounders are the ones who succeed that's why they are first rounders.

Drew Brees 2nd
Brett Favre 2nd
Jake Plummer 2nd
Charlie Frye 3rd
Aaron Brooks 4th
Chris Simms 4th
Mark Brunell 5th
Matt Hasselbeck 6th
Marc Bulger 6th
Tom Brady 6th
Bruce Gradkowski 6th
Trent Green 8th
Brad Johnson 9th
Jake Delhomme undrafted
Kurt Warner undrafted
Jon Kitna undrafted

CHAMBERS8484 said:
Brady is the exception, not the rule. Look at the other qbs.
Matt Leinart, Vince Young both look solid.

Peyton Manning, Donovan Mcnabb, Chad Pennington, Michael Vick, David Carr, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, JP Losman, Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Rex Grossman,

Those are all first round picks, not to mention daunte and joey are former first rounders. My point is that the first round QBs are usually starting in this league. There are exceptions like matt hasselbeck, favre, and delhomme, but most of the time the first rounders are the ones who succeed that's why they are first rounders.

Now can I get a list of first round QBs who didn't succeed?

NewEra8 said:

Jeff George, Andre Ware, Dan McGwire, Todd Marinovich, David Klingler, Tommy Maddox, Rick Mirer, Heath Shuler, Jim Druckenmiller, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, Joey Harrington, Patrick Ramsey, Kyle Boller

NewEra8 said:
Since '93(1st rd QBs):
Vince Young- Too Early
Matt Leinhart- Too Early
Jay Cutler- Too Early
Alex Smith-Early, awful last year, promising this
Aaron Rodgers- Never seen the field
Jason Campbell- Never seen the field
Eli Manning- Look very good
Philip Rivers- Looks very good
Ben Roethlisberger- very Good
JP Losman- Jury's still out, but looks average
Carson Palmer- Superstar
Byron Leftwich- Very good(IMO)
Kyle Boller- Eh, looked good one year, but average at best
David Carr- Looks solid
Joey Harrington- Average at best in Detroit, on new team
Patrick Ramsey- Bust as of now, on new team
Michael Vick- Superstar, but overrated and not much of a thrower
Chad Pennington- Solid, would be better if not for injury's
Tim Couch- Bust
Donovan McNabb- Superstar
Akili Smith- BUST
Daunte Culpepper- Star, on new team
Cade McNown- BUST
Peyton Manning- Superstar
Ryan Leaf- BUST!!!
Jim Druckenmiller- Bust
Steve Mcnair- Was very good, on new team now
Kerry Collins- Solid at best IMO, on many different teams
Heath Shuler- BUSt
Trent Dilfer- Average/solid at best, on new teams, got his ring though
Drew Bledsoe- Solid, on new teams
Rick Mirer- BUST(IMO), played multiple teams

Not counting from the past 2 drafts, that is 13 of 26 QBs, who could be looked at as average or worse. So 1st round doesn't mean squat for sure except for cap trouble. It's a coin flip just like every other position in the draft.

EDIT: I forgot Grossman, but I would say he is still solid at best, because I'm not sold on him until he plays a whole season. Injury bug!!

GRT8 said:
we need alot of everything, but yes..........a younger line. Brady in the 6th is once in a franchise find. Don't count on that.

how about gradkowski in the fifth.

Back
Top Bottom