Are you a combine fool? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are you a combine fool?

finfan54

Active Roster
Reaction score
There are plenty on this board who think that these things will determine greatness as a football player. It means no such thing. It only can verify greatness that was already witnessed on the football field and also mislead people into believing that someone is not all they are cracked up to be based on some test.

So go ahead and put all you money on the guy who does this or debunk the guy that doesnt do this or that, cus you wont remember this once these players hit the field.

The combines do give us the finishing touch to what we are looking at currently in the draft. Some lesser known guys can grab some attention and move up the boards, especially if they are from lesser known schools ala Don Beebe. Top guys typically don't move down alot since they are well studied in game tape and alot of information if availiable on them.

The combines are interesting and fun to talk about.

How they relate to drafting is more of a fine tuning tool and not something you make rash decision based solely on a workout. The interviews I think carry more weight with the drafting process then anything done at the combines.

another positive post from finfan54. the combine is used as an evaluation tool, just as watching tape is. you don't judge players just on one thing. you combine everything, from the tape of the games, to the senior bowl, interviews, combine, pro days, workouts, etc. with all the money and expectations involved here, you have to get the right player. and some things just don't show up on film at the college level. and ZolarZ is right. it's a chance for players from small schools, or guys who didn't get much playing time, get to show their ability, and hopefully get drafted in the later rounds so they can work their way onto a roster. it's not just about the elite players. someone like ingle martin pretty much assured himself of getting a chance to compete in the NFL because of a good combine.

finfan54 said:
There are plenty on this board who think that these things will determine greatness as a football player. It means no such thing. It only can verify greatness that was already witnessed on the football field and also mislead people into believing that someone is not all they are cracked up to be based on some test.

So go ahead and put all you money on the guy who does this or debunk the guy that doesnt do this or that, cus you wont remember this once these players hit the field.

so youve had a chance to evaluate each player individually in every game tihs season and seen whos faster, stronger, better feet, quicker, etc etc?

or is the combine a chance to put everyone together, and see how they measure up to each other... its a great evaluation tool, of course you shouldn't put all stock into what they do at the combine... but you definately dont put zero stock either...

Juan Cribbs said:
another positive post from finfan54. the combine is used as an evaluation tool, just as watching tape is. you don't judge players just on one thing. you combine everything, from the tape of the games, to the senior bowl, interviews, combine, pro days, workouts, etc. with all the money and expectations involved here, you have to get the right player. and some things just don't show up on film at the college level. and ZolarZ is right. it's a chance for players from small schools, or guys who didn't get much playing time, get to show their ability, and hopefully get drafted in the later rounds so they can work their way onto a roster. it's not just about the elite players. someone like ingle martin pretty much assured himself of getting a chance to compete in the NFL because of a good combine.

Well said.

It can also identify players who didn't perform as well as they could have
b/c they were in the wrong systems. Or identify players who were protected by their systems that simply lack the size, speed, strength etc. to perform against NFL athletes.

This is as bad as the thread that said the Senior Bowl was pointless.

don't get me wrong, there are players that benefit TOO much from a great combine, like jeff george. but i think that's all part of the learning process with NFL coaches and GMs. at one point, guys like andre ware who were just plain system QBs were looked at as future hall of famers, whereas now, they're just looked at as another system guy. for the most part, i'd say they're over that.

Juan Cribbs said:

It also gives the media a chance to talk up one or two guys all day long and pretty soon, they become invincible. Okee dokee. whatever! Zach Thomas never got recognized in the combine. Jason Taylor was a tweener. Randy Moss smoked dope and was a punk. Dan Marino was doing cocaine. This is one of my few points. It does not translate into anything on the field except a few heads get all big and then reality hits. Cutler will find this out in a hurry. Im not saying Cutler shouldnt be recognized for what he is doing, im just saying, the recognition wont fit the results.

No-one is going to go from a second rounder to first overall if they run a 4.2

Basically if a team has two guys they are looking at lets say Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown, on tape both look amazing

But lets say one does more bench reps and runs a faster 40

Well thats the guy you wanna take, its just a measuring tool like everything else

rafael said:
It can also identify players who didn't perform as well as they could have
b/c they were in the wrong systems. Or identify players who were protected by their systems that simply lack the size, speed, strength etc. to perform against NFL athletes.

only the few get talked about. Lots more get lost in the shuffle. Its a meat market with salesmen waiting up in the booth for the NFL Network in which everybody out there starts believing everything they read and hear.

Alex22 said:
No-one is going to go from a second rounder to first overall if they run a 4.2

Basically if a team has two guys they are looking at lets say Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown, on tape both look amazing

But lets say one does more bench reps and runs a faster 40

Well thats the guy you wanna take, its just a measuring tool like everything else

I disagree alex. I think we took ronnie brown for a simple reason. Saban wanted a guy who could smash teams in the fourth quarter and he remembered Brown moreso than Caddy when LSU played Auburn. I think the combine just solidified everything they expected. dont get me wrong, the combine is a useful tool no doubt about it, what I am referring to is the hype.

Back
Top Bottom