Are you a combine fool? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are you a combine fool?

SpeedRush99 said:
Exactly what I was thinking after reading the original post.

Yeah, speed has it all down pat. But no one will remember this stuff in a year from now.

finfan54 said:
I disagree alex. I think we took ronnie brown for a simple reason. Saban wanted a guy who could smash teams in the fourth quarter and he remembered Brown moreso than Caddy when LSU played Auburn. I think the combine just solidified everything they expected. dont get me wrong, the combine is a useful tool no doubt about it, what I am referring to is the hype.

I was just using them as an example, I think we took ronnie for the same reason you said

But basically what I meant is if you have two guys who perform equal then you wanna see them up close, running, jumping, catching, following directions on drills and so on

We shouldnt put TO much weight on it, but its improtant

finfan54 said:
Yeah, speed has it all down pat. But no one will remember this stuff in a year from now.

I didn't say they would but to suggest its not a very valuable scouting tool, especially the interviews, is ridiculous. Thats all.

SpeedRush99 said:
I didn't say they would but to suggest its not a very valuable scouting tool, especially the interviews, is ridiculous. Thats all.

And some guys like to prove it on the field. That to me is the real deal. The combine stuff is to check out the other variables. Just because a guy bench presses 10 more reps than Zach Thomas doesnt mean he is a better player than Zach Thomas, but that is what gets preached to the choir.

Cutler going out there and proving his attitude and all is fine, but all i am saying is that does not translate into greatness and every year we see guys get talked up so much and then what? Well, they go to a crappy team first off, then we find out that when they have pressure on them, its a much different story. I dont think that is so hard to understand is it?

finfan54 said:
And some guys like to prove it on the field. That to me is the real deal. The combine stuff is to check out the other variables. Just because a guy bench presses 10 more reps than Zach Thomas doesnt mean he is a better player than Zach Thomas, but that is what gets preached to the choir.

Cutler going out there and proving his attitude and all is fine, but all i am saying is that does not translate into greatness and every year we see guys get talked up so much and then what? Well, they go to a crappy team first off, then we find out that when they have pressure on them, its a much different story. I dont think that is so hard to understand is it?

Not at all. Its a thin line no doubt. Valuable, yes but thats why NFL personell have the jobs they do, to translate what they see into what they need. I never said the combine was the gospel, nor did I discount what they do on the field. It all has its place.

finfan54 said:

No but it means he is stronger than Zach, and if you are looking for a stronger linebacker to shed off blocks you should look at that guy instead of Zach

finfan54 said:
only the few get talked about. Lots more get lost in the shuffle. Its a meat market with salesmen waiting up in the booth for the NFL Network in which everybody out there starts believing everything they read and hear.

Amongst some fans maybe, but if you're someone like Saban who has specific criteria for each position that you believe are required by the NFL then the Combine measurables are huge. And you can't tell me system doesn't matter. J. Fletcher was voted one of the top 100 players in college football history for his performance on the field. If Wanny had paid more attention to his combine measureables he would have seen that he lacked the size to be a bump and run corner.

finfan54 said:

The Combine is a great way to measure things like pure speed and strength. Maybe some fans take it as gospel, but the fans aren't the ones making the picks. Of course success in the combine doesn't translate to success on the field, that is why scouts use it in addition to game tape, player/coach interviews, and many other tools. Just like anything else in football, nothing is guaranteed. It's as simple as this: if you were a GM, would you rather know a potential player's 40 time and bench press or not?

Alex22 said:
No but it means he is stronger than Zach, and if you are looking for a stronger linebacker to shed off blocks you should look at that guy instead of Zach

Not if he hasnt shown it on the football field. What I am trying to say here is that a guy like Vernon Davis just wowed scouts at the combine. He absolutely did everything! He blew them away.

He was already the number one TE on alot of peoples boards anyways. Because he showed it on the football field and they already know certain things. All he did was improve or hold his stock.

Channing Crowder was an injury concern. Is he anymore? that is what translated to the football field. Saban wont buy completely into the combine. He will look at the whole big picture and film.

A combine fool right now is Mayock. He is pushing guys up because they simply showed up bigtime at the combine. But the process does not stop here. The process will continue and Young will show himself at his pro day. He may not wow someone as much as Cutler wowed them. but that is a workout! It is not game time adversity or showtime mentality! Vince Young has the game day moxy. It was proven. Now it is forgotten. Translating talent into the NFL? Micheal vick gets hailed as great, yet Young is a turd? Guess again.

Flyer22 said:
The Combine is a great way to measure things like pure speed and strength. Maybe some fans take it as gospel, but the fans aren't the ones making the picks. Of course success in the combine doesn't translate to success on the field, that is why scouts use it in addition to game tape, player/coach interviews, and many other tools. Just like anything else in football, nothing is guaranteed. It's as simple as this: if you were a GM, would you rather know a potential player's 40 time and bench press or not?

Exactly, so what makes Cutler such a great leader or QB as much as they are saying? He simply moved his stock up by bench pressing 23. He is the underdog story that the media loves to hype. All I have ever said is what did Cutler do at Vandy that was so great?

Cutler

finfan54 said:
Exactly, so what makes Cutler such a great leader or QB as much as they are saying? He simply moved his stock up by bench pressing 23. He is the underdog story that the media loves to hype. All I have ever said is what did Cutler do at Vandy that was so great?

I like the fact that he showed up and performed at the combine

something other players did not do!

finfan54 said:
cutler was a top 10 pick long before he lifted 23 times. i seriously doubt it has anything to do with his stock rising. his interviews and workouts probably did the trick.

noo, we took ronnie because hes faster bigger, better blocker, better coming out of the backfield

Juan Cribbs said:
cutler was a top 10 pick long before he lifted 23 times. i seriously doubt it has anything to do with his stock rising. his interviews and workouts probably did the trick.

his senior bowl practices are what made his stock go up. then he basically blew the game somewhat. Kiper says he was at the senior bowl all week and said the hype is just that, hype. He is not saying, as am i, that Cutler is not bad and will probably be a good QB, but the hype is just way too much. for once, I couldnt agree more with Mel Kiper in my entire life. Mayock i understand already has his marriage certificate done with the town hall and is set to marry jay soon.

Back
Top Bottom