Are you aware who we just signed? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are you aware who we just signed?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
We just signed Cameron(Derek) Wake to a $4.9 million deal with a $1mil. signing bonus. I think this pretty much rules out us picking any DE/OLB with the first pick. I think every mock will have to be adjusted to reflect this move. You don't sign someone to a $5mil contract with plans on drafting the same position first in the draft.

The six-foot-three-inch, 240-pound Wake was the CFL outstanding defensive player of the year in each of the past two seasons, using his speed and strength to break through offensive lines and get to the quarterback, which he did 39 times.
He led the CFL with 23 sacks the past season, more than twice as many as the next highest total. The sack total was tied for fourth-best for a single season in league history.
Wake, who turns 26 next week, played collegiately at Penn State. He went undrafted in 2005 and signed with the New York Giants but couldn't gain a foothold .
It is likely that the hybrid player, who went by his birth name Derek during his collegiate career and first NFL pass, will revert to linebacker after starring on the defensive line with the Lions.
The Dolphins have been looking for pass rushing help to complement Joey Porter.
The Miami Herald reported the deal is for four years and could total as much as $5 million US, with slightly less than $1 million in guaranteed money.
Wake spent the past two weeks trying out for clubs. It was reported that the Indianapolis Colts were also serious contenders for his services.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story/2009/01/19/dolphins-wake.html
prv0730sbclions02-1.jpg

I agree i dont think we will pick up an OLB first round eather i would mind getting Duke Robinson but one of our G spots

thats not alot of money for a player.He could be porters backup next year plus it could be a smoke screen to help get another lb we want.This gives us room for options come the draft.

Alex Mack!

Then our line is beastly.

Long, Smiley, Mack, Murphy, Carey.

Backups

Ndukwe Satelle. Satelle could be trade bait for a team looking for a mobile center.

I agree i dont think we will pick up an OLB first round eather i would mind getting Duke Robinson but one of our G spots

I would not mind either... people need to see how nasty this mofo is, he plays exactly like Jake Long, I think him and Jake will form a nasty left side for years to come

His contract averages about 1.25 million per year. Do you really think that in way inhibits their ability or willingness to sign/draft any other player at that position? No.

I mean, we signed Randy Starks to a contract averaging 4 million per year and still took Merling in the 2nd round and Langford in the 3rd.

His contract averages about 1.25 million per year. Do you really think that in way inhibits their ability or willingness to sign/draft any other player at that position? No.

I mean, we signed Randy Starks to a contract averaging 4 million per year and still took Merling in the 2nd round and Langford in the 3rd.
We could draft another DE/OLB, I just don't think it will be in the 1st or 2nd Rd.

We could draft another DE/OLB, I just don't think it will be in the 1st or 2nd Rd.

Pretty much agree.

I think this draft is FULL of DE/OLB hybrids and they will all start showing up this week. Middle round DE/OLB would be great as well. Porter isn't getting younger. Roth may not be the answer. No clue whether Merling goes to linebacker. I love depth at the linebacker position. If you can have Porter, Wake, Roth, Anderson and a draftee, we may get a great second level pass rush that was absent aside from Porter.

Some people to take the pressure off Porter, maybe open up holes for our line to do some damage as well.

michael johnson has been sliiiiiping

i wouldnt mind drafting him 25 and benching him behind porter on the weakside for a lil while

you can never have enough pass rushers

michael johnson has been sliiiiiping

i wouldnt mind drafting him 25 and benching him behind porter on the weakside for a lil while

you can never have enough pass rushers

I wouldn't do that. We still have many holes to risk doing that.

If Brace keeps improving the way he is and Raji is gone, I could see Brace taking a first round grade into the draft and I wouldn't mind Brace at ALL at 25. That is if he continues improving the way he is and Raji isn't there.

William Moore is another option. Or offensive line. Can't spend the 1st round pick on depth when we can do that mid round with the likes of Clay Matthews, Will Davis or someone else.

not for depth... for situational duties and eventual replacement :up:

we dont know whos gonna be there....

i was just saying i wouldnt be upset with that...

id be way more upset with brace at 25

Alex Mack!

Then our line is beastly.

Long, Smiley, Mack, Murphy, Carey.

Backups

Ndukwe Satelle. Satelle could be trade bait for a team looking for a mobile center.

Did you bother to proofread that? You just listed Murphy starting when he couldn't even get on the field this year with all of the injuries at his position. Murphy is likely to not even make the roster.

Thomas unless get can't get healthy is the starting RG. and ANY rookie is going to have a very tough time beating out Satele.

So, the likely lineup for next year is going to be Long, Smiley, Satele, Thomas, Carey.

And THAT is a more accurate assessment and a truly beastly OL.

It's just too bad we only had that lineup in preseason this year. But, damn it was dominant. Barring injury, it will be even better next year.

Did you bother to proofread that? You just listed Murphy starting when he couldn't even get on the field this year with all of the injuries at his position. Murphy is likely to not even make the roster.

Thomas unless get can't get healthy is the starting RG. and ANY rookie is going to have a very tough time beating out Satele.

So, the likely lineup for next year is going to be Long, Smiley, Satele, Thomas, Carey.

And THAT is a more accurate assessment and a truly beastly OL.

It's just too bad we only had that lineup in preseason this year. But, damn it was dominant. Barring injury, it will be even better next year.

You are right. And I wonder if Satele's play will improve with Thomas next to him.

Although we haven't seen Thomas much, the front office seems to think he's a great player and will start. So, I hope they're right.

Back
Top Bottom