Armando Salguero: Focus shifts to Dolphins coach Philbin and QB Ryan Tannehill! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando Salguero: Focus shifts to Dolphins coach Philbin and QB Ryan Tannehill!

Year 1: Strategically cut previous regime players and replace with drafted starters and free agents. Endure final year of target players to be cut next year. Draft and being development of Franchise QB. GOAL: Superbowl win.

Year 2: Implement next big cut of previous regime players or allow to walk as contract expires. Draft and acquire your core play makers and team leaders for the near future (3 - 5 years). Thrust Franchise QB into offensive focal point. Mold defense into new identity. GOAL: Get to the playoffs AND make some noise along the way. Superbowl win

Year 3: Finish roster overhaul. Give reigns to Franchise QB and expand on offensive cohesion from previous year. Call the defensive dogs out. GOAL: Superbowl win

Year 4: Begin drafting next cycle of players and depth, BPA. GOAL: SuperBowl win
Fixed it for you.

I don't get it.

Here's a roster with an improved pass rush, improved wide receivers, an obliterated tackle position, young and unproven tailbacks, rookie corners and unknown quantities at linebacker. PEACE OUT, JOE! Do what you do!

Now suddenly we're to assume Jeff Ireland has done his job and if it fails it's about Joe Philbin and Ryan Tannehill?

True statement CK. To put a positive spin on the situation I felt that Philbin did a improved job with last years roster compared to the prior coaching staff which gives you some hope. Maybe I am reading between the lines here but I am hoping Philbin had input on the players selected in free agency and the draft and "if" that is true you would assume he could do a even better job of coaching now that he has players that fit his schemes. Personally have a hard time seeing us getting it together as a team until mid season because of all this turn over so not expecting a great record yet again and more Ireland bashing. The way last year started in preseason I thought Ireland was a goner for sure but miracles do happen just do they happen 2 years in a row.

Ross seems to be pretty keen on noting how this is a quarterback driven league. Curious as to why we totally neglected that during the draft.

I think the plan always was sign offense draft defense. If you ask me, that works out better anyways since OL take time to develop

The draft is over, focus now shifts to laying out Brady, beating NE twice, and taking the ACFE crown!

I don't get it.

Here's a roster with an improved pass rush, improved wide receivers, an obliterated tackle position, young and unproven tailbacks, rookie corners and unknown quantities at linebacker. PEACE OUT, JOE! Do what you do!

Now suddenly we're to assume Jeff Ireland has done his job and if it fails it's about Joe Philbin and Ryan Tannehill?

Your hatred for Ireland just sips through your pours like alcohol?

obliterated Tackle Position ?

John Martin protected Andrew Luck for 37 Games. He was a 2nd Round Pick. If he entered this year's draft he would have been the 4th rated tackle.
We had J. Long entering his last year contract. If we wanted a Tackle rated higher than Martin, than our choices would have been to draft #1 Tackle Matt Kalil who was drafted by Minnesota at #4 which would of meant to trade up and get him and pass on Tannehill. Our second option would have been #2 Tackle Riley Reif who was drafted by Detroit Lions in the first round with the #23 overall selection. So once again we would have to trade back in the first round to get him. Our third option would have been #3 rated tackle Glenn Cordy who was drafted by Buffalo in the second round with the #41 overall selection which was one selection before us. So again we would have to have jump another team for one.

Now, if you want to argue we could of drafted Mike Adams from Ohio State instead cool, but as horrendous as the Steelers line was the previous year he only had 6 Starts compare to Martin who played all 16 games. Now, by all accounts Martin play terribly and we may not now what we have in him.

Here's what our very own Keith Sims had to say about Martin

“I like Jonathan Martin as a long-term answer at left tackle, seeing him play last year all 16 games, started 12, I believe, at right and four at left tackle,” Sims said. “He was much more comfortable. Things came so much more naturally, it was fluid for him. He worked hard last year to be a right tackle and he was a decent right tackle. I think his body type and his athleticism is more geared to be that left tackle.” he was definitely more fluid in his pass sets on the left side. His frame and his athleticism bode well in what the Dolphins want to do in the zone-blocking scheme. You don’t have to be the big, hulking guy. You’ve got to have good feet and be able to move and get to the second level, and Jonathan Martin can do that from the left side.”

Now, I've watched every snap Martin took at LT, and I would say he's play was below avg. But to think we wouldn't be able to win games with him in the lineup is not accurate. We played well against the 49ers, even Harbaugh said that game is what prepared for Patriots. We beat Jaguars and Bills (Yes I Know they don't count) and we got shout out against the Patriots. But if you we watch the NE game we left at the minimum 21 points on the board. Binns drop a TD, Tannehill missed a wide open Bush, and Bush fumbled at the 5 yard line..

"young and unproven tailbacks"

You're absolutely right on that one. But if you give him the 215 avg. attempts Bush got the last two years, and he remains injury free, I don't see how he doesn't Rush for 1,000 yard, although you and I would agree 1300 yards is the new barometer for tailbacks.

"rookie corners"

Right now the projection for our starting cornerbacks are R. Marshall (8 years) Brent Grimes (6 Years) Dimitri Patterson (7 Years) Nolan Carroll (5 Years). You can say we have injury concerns with our DB's put to think on day one, we are going to start Taylor, Davis, and Don Jones, that is as far fetch as one can imagine. There's no way in hell we are starting three cornerbacks. The hope is for them to contribute this year and make Marshall, who's contract balloons next year, Grimes who's a Free Agent as well as Nolan Carroll, expendable. Should one start this year, great! That would still leave us with enough veterans who we can go into games with. Let's not forget with the crew we had last year we were #7 in Points per game and #1 Redzone Defense!

"unknown quantities at linebacker." The projected starting linebackers Misi, Ellerbe, and Wheeler are all coming off career years!!
Koa is coming of a 65 Tackle (50 Solo) and 3.5 sack season. Nothing to write home about, but not unknown. (4 Years Experience)
Ellerbe is coming of a 92 Tackle (69 Solo) 4.5 Sack Season and Including 32 Tackles (25 Solo) during the playoffs and SB run and he was poised to replace R. Lewis. (4 Years Experience)
Wheeler is coming of a 109 Tackle (78 Solo) 3.0 Sack Season (5 Years Experience)

What is so unknown about these guys???

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom