As much as you hated Wannyball | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

As much as you hated Wannyball

Just curious if everyone thinks this team is going to resemble some of Wannstache's good teams before they drafted us out of contention. I would take 2001-2003 all over again with the personnel we have now.

As long as Fiedler on the Roof never takes the stage again, I'm perfectly content...

I hope not. Any other coach in the league could have taken our 02 team to at least the second round of the playoffs. He didnt even make the playoffs. I think we will be more sound technically and more explosive. Wannstadt would sit on a 14-0 and wait until the opponent gets back in the game before opening up his playbook more. ....this was more a rant on Wanny than anything else.

Missed ya, Fats. Thought you might be hibernating.

I think the OP's thought about style of play under BP compared to Wanny is a fair one, but the difference is that Simms came up big for Parcells in big games. And he was allowed to. Wanny's system of Ravens 2000 ball didn't work here because we didn't have their talent across the board, and he coached scared. Specifically, I have always felt Fiedler was the weak link. Fine as stop-gap, fine as a backup, but if you want to knock teams out of the playoffs you are going to have to run Lamar Smith 40 times or so. :lol:

Wanny is the biggest moron to ever have the pleasure of calling themselves an NFL head coach.
And if Wanny wasn't bad enough..... he had the the king of all idiots as his GM, Rick Spielman.

Man..... I'm so glad those days are behind us. idiots!

While the principles might be the same .... the styles will be much different. This defense will be a more 'in-your-face' instead of the 'bend don't break' style.

And i can't say enough how much i am looking forward to this version.

Not likely. This team is way too three dimensional. With that said, to this day I think Wanny gets too much crap; yes, he was a horrible second half game manager, but he won us alot of games with "wanny ball". It was safe, and you did not want to risk going for the throat with a long ball when Fiedlers first check off reciever was Nate Clements in the flat.

I think the OP's thought about style of play under BP compared to Wanny is a fair one, but the difference is that Simms came up big for Parcells in big games. And he was allowed to. Wanny's system of Ravens 2000 ball didn't work here because we didn't have their talent across the board, and he coached scared. Specifically, I have always felt Fiedler was the weak link. Fine as stop-gap, fine as a backup, but if you want to knock teams out of the playoffs you are going to have to run Lamar Smith 40 times or so. :lol:

Even the Ravens threw the ball every once in a while. Ricky up the gut every play when we're protecting a lead is something Minor Football coaches would do.

I don't think the defense will be quite as good as Wanny's this year. I am not the biggest Penny fan but he is miles above Fiedler.

In theory "Wanny Ball" isn't a bad philosophy as long as you have the horses to pull the carriage. Under Wanny we never addressed the o-line like we did this year and never had the quality depth at the TB position that we have now. I've always believed that play action teams are the toughest to defend and "Wanny Ball" can set that up!

I agree but by wanny ball I mean strong ground game defensive domination at the line of scrimmage. Not his stupid *** decisions.

If that's what you mean, then I'm all for it. Those stupid decisions you speak of maybe wouldn't have been so stupid if Jay Fiedler, hadn't of been high and outside on every critical third down throw. I admire JF for his heart and gamesmanship but the boy just didn't have any degree of accuracy. That's the reason we didn't progress in or to the play offs.

I actaully loved the Wanny style of play. I just hated some of the play calling though. There is something about cracking out 7-12 yard runs that just demoralizes defenses. However, I think that we will have a much better play action than we did back then which will lead to a more balanced attack. I'm excited.

I ve been lurking.....sometimes theres no need to post a response when your take has been ladi out eloquently by other members. And I ate my home computer....ehh what can you do, i thougth it was a big marshmellow. plus have been having lots of sex

I didn't hate Wannyball. I despised Marinoball. That was the epitome of wasted decades, no chance to legitimately pursue a title with a blueprint of running 24 times or less game after game year after year. Other than salivating over opportunities to bet against the Dolphins vs. legit balanced foes I barely paid attention.

You can get away with more imbalance now, in a salary cap era and a lopsided league with few great teams. In the '80s and '90s it required fortified fundamentally sound teams to deal with the NFC thugs, any realistic chance to defeat them in the ultimate game. Shula and Marino tried to pretend otherwise and got the blank slate they deserved. Just because the mainstream media ignores things like rushing attempts and YPPA doesn't mean they aren't vital to outcomes. Miami flunked my current Excel dosage index formula every year under Marino, other than '83 and through the first 10 weeks of '84.

Wanny understood fundamental football but his personnel handicapping, along with Spielman, was inept, which left nothing available other than slow erosion. How can we rip Fiedler, particularly at that time and not compared to who came next, and then think Wanny was supposed to win big with Fiedler? :lol:

It reminds me of the late '80s and early '90s when one guy who hosted a sports talk show here in Las Vegas loved to condemn Jim Mora, saying he should have won titles with the Saints. Yeah, with Bobby Hebert playing QB in the same division as Joe Montana and Steve Young. That host hated it when I was on the program as guest analyst because I'd laugh like hell at that expectation, of Hebert trumping the 49er personnel.

Back
Top Bottom