Attended the Scrimmage Today... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Attended the Scrimmage Today...

mcane13

Scout Team
Reaction score
From a Dolphin Fan living in Houston... I attended the scrimmage today.

Not too many of the big names played today, but Minor, Morris & Russell looked good catching the ball out of the backfield. They ran well also. This group of RB's could excel with a good mix of screen passes.

The O-line blocked well between the Tackles, but the outside blocking was slow to develop.

As far as the QB position is concerned it's looked to me like A.J. & Sage moved the Offense more effectively than Jay. As a matter of fact, Jay was pretty uninspiring.

Tolver had a great catch for a big gain, but not much else from the receivers. Who ever #49 was, he dropped a beautiful pass over the middle from AJ during the 2 minute drill. This guy sucks!!

The Defense looked good for the most part as they held the Texans scoreless, but they committed a lot of holding penalties. Pretty common for rookie DB's though. Outside LB's need work as well.

Let me know if anyone has any specific questions and I'll try to answer. I'm not as polished as the regular "Board Reporters", but will give it a shot.

How did the right side of the Oline look?

Specifically Jerman, Carey and St. Clair.

PS - Thanks for the report...

Thanks for the report!!

mcane13 said:
The Defense looked good for the most part as they held the Texans scoreless, but they committed a lot of holding penalties. Pretty common for rookie DB's though. Outside LB's need work as well.

This part is pretty interesting because it reflects the change in rules for this year.......well, not a change really but they said that the refs would paying special attention to contact by the DB's and calling more holding penalties. I hope they get this out of their system by the regular season.

miamirw..

The right side of the O-Line didn't pass or run block well at all. The left side had better pass blocking, but didn't get to the outside quick enough to open up anything. Minor, Russell & Works looked really quick and could have produced some good yardage on the sweep runs, but just had no run blocking support.

Yardage up the middle came easier and Minor was really hitting the 3 & 4 hole gap quickly. I think a combination of Carey-McKinney-James with a good FB lead block will open up some good lanes from the I-Formation.

Did we even get in the red zone? Who played the best? Did we move the ball effectively or not? How did our defense look? How was the ground attack? How was the air attack? Who scored? Any positives? Any negatives?

I dying to know, I am here in Long Beach, CA and I am dying to know.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Let's hope Mcintosh can rehab sooner than expected.

Move Carey inside for the year and a line of:

Smith - James - McKinney - Carey - MCintosh could be a good fit.

Everything I read about St. Clair is negative (except what DW says about the guy).

It's unfortunate that Jerman isn't quick enough to pass block well, because I believe he can run block adequately.

Pasquale

RB's played great. The Defense played well overall, but too many holding calls. AJ may not know the playbook as well as Jay, but he's definitely a much better QB.

We got into the Red Zone twice. On one play #49 fumbled the ball. The other was a 4 and out sequence with Sage.

Positives: Good RB production between the tackles, but not to the outside. AJ looked great. Sage look real good as well. Defense may have good depth even without Akins. Poole looked good as well.

Negatives: Pass blocking was porus. Too many holding calls on the DB's. Couldn't run outside even with good RB speed and quickness. To many dink & dunk passes to the backs - they needed to go down field a bit more.

I attended the scrimmage also earlier...

Everything sounds accurate as far as what mcane13 was reporting although I have to admit A.J. does not look good. St. Clair was letting the LE get pressure on Fiedler and he alluded the rush stepped up and made a nice completion although I would've liked to see him air it out to the guy streaking down the middle he ofcourse dumps it off. To me, trying to be as objective as possible from what I saw today Sage looked the best; had the best arm and the offensive play of the scrimmage for Miami when he hit Tolver off a nice PA for about 30 yds. The ground game went nowhere. In the rookie on rookie full contact drills on offense Stoerner played the first time and did NOT look accurate. Russell had a really nice run on a play that was busted and turned it into a bout 25 yds. A.J. did the 2 minute drill. Took the team to about the 7 yd line after a very generous pass interference penalty against Houston. But then A.J was very inaccurate on his passes. The one he did thread into #49 Jones was taken away from him by a defender for an INT. Yeah I think John Jones' days are numbered. The starters had a few holding penalties in the secondary for Miami but so did Houston. If the ref's are going to actually call it like that in the games this year we in for ALOT of penalties. The first play for the starters on defense they got ripped for about 20 by Tony Hollings but seemed to play well after that although they did alow a couple of td passes.

Players who stood out to me:
Sage Rosenfels
JR Tolver
Randy McMichael
Derrick Pope--busted up a few plays on the full contact plays. I met his brother walking towards the stadium. Cool kid. From Houston he loves the Texans but was decked out in Miami clothes...cool kid...
#75 not sure who he is but he terrorized the other rookies
#92 who is I think Grigsby? got a sack
Jason Taylor would've had atleast 3 sacks...he totally owned Seth Wand

Players who didn't impress:
A.J Feeley--as much as I'd like to see him lighting it up he just wasn't
John Jones--he'll be cut soon
John St. Clair--can't pass block period.
The whole offensive line from the rookie full contact scrimmage..pass blocking was decent but run blocking was horrible.

Players who didn't suit up:(as far as I know)
Zach ofcourse
Chris Chambers!! not sure why
Derrius Thompson!! not sure why
Surtain ofcourse
Terrence Wilkins
Konrad

So the only WRs I saw out there were Tolver, Newson, Minnis, #17, Simmons
which could explain why the QBs didn't really get too much success. I have to say with the OL I witnessed today Fiedler's mobility is a big plus for him. Although I love Sage's arm. And don't write me off as a 'Fiedler lover', I would love to see him replaced but ONLY judging by what I saw today A.J. is a long way away. Give Sage a chance for Christ's sake atleast....

DolphanD said:
Everything sounds accurate as far as what mcane13 was reporting although I have to admit A.J. does not look good. St. Clair was letting the LE get pressure on Fiedler and he alluded the rush stepped up and made a nice completion although I would've liked to see him air it out to the guy streaking down the middle he ofcourse dumps it off. To me, trying to be as objective as possible from what I saw today Sage looked the best; had the best arm and the offensive play of the scrimmage for Miami when he hit Tolver off a nice PA for about 30 yds. The ground game went nowhere. In the rookie on rookie full contact drills on offense Stoerner played the first time and did NOT look accurate. Russell had a really nice run on a play that was busted and turned it into a bout 25 yds. A.J. did the 2 minute drill. Took the team to about the 7 yd line after a very generous pass interference penalty against Houston. But then A.J was very inaccurate on his passes. The one he did thread into #49 Jones was taken away from him by a defender for an INT. Yeah I think John Jones' days are numbered. The starters had a few holding penalties in the secondary for Miami but so did Houston. If the ref's are going to actually call it like that in the games this year we in for ALOT of penalties. The first play for the starters on defense they got ripped for about 20 by Tony Hollings but seemed to play well after that although they did alow a couple of td passes.

Players who stood out to me:
Sage Rosenfels
JR Tolver
Randy McMichael
Derrick Pope--busted up a few plays on the full contact plays. I met his brother walking towards the stadium. Cool kid. From Houston he loves the Texans but was decked out in Miami clothes...cool kid...
#75 not sure who he is but he terrorized the other rookies
#92 who is I think Grigsby? got a sack
Jason Taylor would've had atleast 3 sacks...he totally owned Seth Wand

Players who didn't impress:
A.J Feeley--as much as I'd like to see him lighting it up he just wasn't
John Jones--he'll be cut soon
John St. Clair--can't pass block period.
The whole offensive line from the rookie full contact scrimmage..pass blocking was decent but run blocking was horrible.

Players who didn't suit up:(as far as I know)
Zach ofcourse
Chris Chambers!! not sure why
Derrius Thompson!! not sure why
Surtain ofcourse
Terrence Wilkins
Konrad

So the only WRs I saw out there were Tolver, Newson, Minnis, #17, Simmons
which could explain why the QBs didn't really get too much success. I have to say with the OL I witnessed today Fiedler's mobility is a big plus for him. Although I love Sage's arm. And don't write me off as a 'Fiedler lover', I would love to see him replaced but ONLY judging by what I saw today A.J. is a long way away. Give Sage a chance for Christ's sake atleast....
Well from what they said on espn that AJ was doing really good and the offensive line was run blocking well.

I'd just love it if when someone takes the time to report the things THEY SAW every person who may have heard something a bit different from what SOMEONE ELSE saw we don't jump up and be smart alecks about it each and every time.

I live in MO and appreciate each and every word that I can read about our guys and the things that go on in the practices I'll never get to see.

What our forum members see and write do not have anything to do wit what will end up happening in the end anyway but it does give us just a touch of how the action is shaking out.

Keep them coming guys. I APPRECIATE THEM!

mcane13 said:
From a Dolphin Fan living in Houston... I attended the scrimmage today.

Not too many of the big names played today, but Minor, Morris & Russell looked good catching the ball out of the backfield. They ran well also. This group of RB's could excel with a good mix of screen passes.

The O-line blocked well between the Tackles, but the outside blocking was slow to develop.

As far as the QB position is concerned it's looked to me like A.J. & Sage moved the Offense more effectively than Jay. As a matter of fact, Jay was pretty uninspiring.

Tolver had a great catch for a big gain, but not much else from the receivers. Who ever #49 was, he dropped a beautiful pass over the middle from AJ during the 2 minute drill. This guy sucks!!

Let me know if anyone has any specific questions and I'll try to answer. I'm not as polished as the regular "Board Reporters", but will give it a shot.
Well that man would be John Jones. Along with this report and what Wanny recently said...this guys days are numbered.

great report i have been waiting 4 this all day :D

Why the hell did the Dolphins trade for A.J while having a player with better credential in Sage.
I still think Sage Roesenfels is a better "Prospect".He did well in the Exhibition game he started when he was "incubent" starter for Redskins.Instead the Dolphins trade for A.J Feeley who is basicly more of a prospect than Sage.A.J was benchwarmer in College also.

I would like to see Sage get a fair shot in the Competition but I guess not enough snaps to go around.

Back
Top Bottom