Austin Hooper | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Austin Hooper

I’m all for any move that brings in a legit pass catching threat at TE, or increased production from the WR3 spot.

Last season, Smythe was Miami’s 3rd leading receiver which shows us just how drastic the drop off was after Tyreke & Waddle. I think it’s easily the biggest reason teams were successful in slowing down the Dolphin offense in the 2nd half of games as well as the 2nd half of season.

I’d be fine with taking a flyer on Hooper but my 1st choice would be bringing in Curtis Samuels as WR3. He’s more expensive but the dude has made a career out of producing for teams with awful talent and poor QB play. He would absolutely thrive with Tua as his QB while Tyreke & Waddle get all of the defensive attention. One way or another, this offense absolutely needs that 3rd pass catching threat to exploit defenses that are geared towards stopping our bread and butter.

Interesting. 29 isn't that old for a successful TE. My question would be his fall off over the last few years. Was this simply due to the lack of talent at QB for the Raiders throughout his time there? Need someone to give us a breakdown of how he would look with a consistent and accurate QB.
FWIW, he made the most of his opportunities in Vegas. 25 catches but was only targeted 31 times.

I’m all for any move that brings in a legit pass catching threat at TE, or increased production from the WR3 spot.

Last season, Smythe was Miami’s 3rd leading receiver which shows us just how drastic the drop off was after Tyreke & Waddle. I think it’s easily the biggest reason teams were successful in slowing down the Dolphin offense in the 2nd half of games as well as the 2nd half of season.

I’d be fine with taking a flyer on Hooper but my 1st choice would be bringing in Curtis Samuels as WR3. He’s more expensive but the dude has made a career out of producing for teams with awful talent and poor QB play. He would absolutely thrive with Tua as his QB while Tyreke & Waddle get all of the defensive attention. One way or another, this offense absolutely needs that 3rd pass catching threat to exploit defenses that are geared towards stopping our bread and butter.
Love the Samuels take, how about Jauan Jennings @Aqua Man ? SanFran has the Samuels/Aiyuk tandem along with Kittle, CMC, lotsa mouths ( and bank accounts) to feed, maybe he hits the market? I know they like him, but he seems like a good fit here.

Liked him like 5 years ago. We need better playmakers, not lateral shifts.

Hooper did better before the Raiders.

I would love to have Fant, but will he be much more expensive then Hopper?

Henry might be more expensive and though he might be a more sure TE then Hooper, Hooper is still a higher reward if he can play better with Tua.

I am not saying Hooper is the best option, but looking at him is very smart, because he is a good enough blocker, and a more dangerous vertical weapon.

Love the other options thar have been given, but price, how they can benifit our offense are still question that need to be asked with each of those options.

As long as we do the job right, and get the best man for our team I will be happy, but I also want another TE from the draft...Crucial!

Love the Samuels take, how about Jauan Jennings @Aqua Man ? SanFran has the Samuels/Aiyuk tandem along with Kittle, CMC, lotsa mouths ( and bank accounts) to feed, maybe he hits the market? I know they like him, but he seems like a good fit here.

I like Jennings and he’ll certainly be cheaper, but I think the trade-off vs a guy like Samuels will be less receiving production but a stronger physical presence in the run game- which isn’t a bad thing!

In Samuels, I see an OJ Mcduffie type of receiver that can make hay on all of the underneath routes while Tyreke and Waddle are deeper on the route tree. Smythe was our 3rd leading receiver with 366 yards and 0 TD’s. Samuels could easily flourish in the offense for 700+ yards and 6-7 TD’s. I’m not against Jennings, he might be able to give similar production if given the chance- and for cheaper no less all while being better in the run game. Hell, we could even have an in-house option if EZ could get back to healthy but that’s a big if. I definitely want to see Miami enter camp with a guy they feel can produce in that role. I think it’s a crucial step to make this offense harder to solve for opposing DC’s.

Back
Top Bottom