Barry Jackson: Detailed FA Talk | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Detailed FA Talk

I completely agree that if Jake does come back it should be at RT, someone will back up the Brinks truck though.

Garner's too brittle to rely on. Way too brittle. He makes for a great swing man because in a pinch he can do just about anything but this FO is no more going to rely on him to be a full time RT than they were going to rely on Murtha to hold down that spot.

Jerry should be the prime candidate for RT, imo. But if he's half as dumb and lazy as it appears he might be I wouldn't blame them for having second thoughts about that plan. He's got the ability, for sure. But that's never been the issue.

I've been a big fan of Vollmer's since he first got into the lineup for NE but he's sort of fallen off from that early promise. Either way I don't think we'll be players for his services. Detroit and Chicago are going to price everyone else out bidding on the FA OLs, imo. If I'm laying odds Long ends up in Chicago (they always seem to want to win free agency) and Vollmer heads to Detroit. But we'll see on that. Branden Albert is a guard playing tackle. He could be a great LG but if the dude wants to be paid like a tackle, that's where you have to play him if you want him.

The two big question marks for the Dolphins, obviously, are WR and the secondary. If it's me, I'm moving Marshall to FS (or at least trying that, if he fails he's gone), Patterson goes inside to play nickel and I'm making a play for Derek Cox, who's one of the league's more underrated corners, for my other boundary guy. I'm also doing my diligence on figuring out what the hell happened to Tracy Porter (I mean, I'm aware they've got a young guy who's playing well, but still). That guy's feet are way too good for him not to be a starter in this league. If you can get a satisfactory answer on him you could steal a guy worth a huge contract not that long ago for less than his true market value. Guys like DRC and Talib... no way. **** those guys.

As for WR, Jennings will probably end up being the choice but if it's me I'm spending the extra money on Wallace. Don't get me wrong, I've sung Jennings' praises in other threads and I certainly prefer him to Bowe, who is overrated. But Wallace is a rare weapon, plain and simple. If they sign a Jennings and find a way to end up with a Steadman Bailey then I'm much happier with that plan. Hartline I can take or leave. Anything more than $3 million is an absolutely waste, imo. He's a #4 receiver in a good offense. By the end of preseason next year Rishard Matthews is going to have passed him on the depth chart. No doubt about that in my mind.

2nd best part.....

"but the Jets are in the NFL’s worst cap predicament ($18 million over)"

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy"

Like signing ten or more FAs and having none of them currently on the roster.

why do you always take what I say and then make a point about it that has nothing to do with what I actually said....lol. My point was about people not realizing that sometimes you have to to take a step back to take a step forward. My point is that Ireland has not been signing high priced free agents because he wants to build through the draft. We have a lot of ammo this coming off season because Ireland chose not to spend big recently. Hence the term " sometimes you have to break some eggs...." what you replied was only confirming what I was saying. I fail to see the logic in that

why do you always take what I say and then make a point about it that has nothing to do with what I actually said....lol. My point was about people not realizing that sometimes you have to to take a step back to take a step forward. My point is that Ireland has not been signing high priced free agents because he wants to build through the draft. We have a lot of ammo this coming off season because Ireland chose not to spend big recently. Hence the term " sometimes you have to break some eggs...." what you replied was only confirming what I was saying. I fail to see the logic in that
My post was dripping with sarcasm which I admit is hard to portray in text. In regards this thread specifically dealing with FA, I was getting at the fact that the entire carton of eggs was smashed on the driveway before we even got in the house. As to the overall trajectory of the team under current mangement, it's always one step forward and two steps back. Sometimes, it's even just two steps back for no apparent reason.

Miami is on the up, and has the 3rd most FA money available with the most draft ammo. That's a great job by the office and coaching staff.
Good job to the front office for.. spending 5 years drafting and signing players who weren't good enough to earn long term roles on this team? Cincy has more cap space than we do and they're in the playoffs for the 2nd straight year while having some of the best young players in the league. If our front office did a "great job" then they deserve a ****ing Nobel Prize in comparison. I'm excited and hopeful for our offseason but it seems fundamentally wrong to applaud a man (Ireland) for putting us in a position that is purely a result of his own failures. We have another second rounder because of a blown 1st rounder. We have another 3rd rounder because of two blown 2nd rounders. Cincy has another second rounder because they outwitted a dimwit and turned a negative value player into gold. We have this cap space because the two first round picks he made for this team will no longer be on this team along with a long list of failed picks and FA signings. Ireland's got his shot at redemption this offseason and feel free to be excited about it but it is ****ing pathetic to applaud the man.

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 AM ----------

Indy is likely going to rival Miami for a big name FA WR
What? They re-signed Wayne and had two extremely promising rookies this year. As well as an overachieving Avery and two promising, developing TEs. Just nonsense in this thread.

All I got to say is if we don't make the playoffs next year Ireland defiantly has to go. Our team is really not the bad and was close to making the playoffs this year.

One team that might scare me in the future is the Bengals who have the most cap, but at the same time they need to save money for Dalton and A.J. extension.

Good job to the front office for.. spending 5 years drafting and signing players who weren't good enough to earn long term roles on this team? Cincy has more cap space than we do and they're in the playoffs for the 2nd straight year while having some of the best young players in the league. If our front office did a "great job" then they deserve a ****ing Nobel Prize in comparison. I'm excited and hopeful for our offseason but it seems fundamentally wrong to applaud a man (Ireland) for putting us in a position that is purely a result of his own failures. We have another second rounder because of a blown 1st rounder. We have another 3rd rounder because of two blown 2nd rounders. Cincy has another second rounder because they outwitted a dimwit and turned a negative value player into gold. We have this cap space because the two first round picks he made for this team will no longer be on this team along with a long list of failed picks and FA signings. Ireland's got his shot at redemption this offseason and feel free to be excited about it but it is ****ing pathetic to applaud the man.

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 AM ----------

What? They re-signed Wayne and had two extremely promising rookies this year. As well as an overachieving Avery and two promising, developing TEs. Just nonsense in this thread.

Which makes me more terrified than excited. We have all this cap room and all these draft picks. Misuse of these and it can cripple us for years. It's not like, well if Ireland screws up next year he's gone. If Ireland screws up the next offseason we can be screwed for years.

I honestly expect people to be disappointed with who we sign in free agency, I can't see us being a very active team, maybe one or two medium priced free agents, not much more than that.

the walrus has a good plan...like the corner stuff although tracy porter has terrific feet he's been fighting a serious neck issue for some time if i recall correctly...still if patterson is really $4.6 mil against the cap next year i might be cutting bait with that or at minimum telling that kid to restructure...he was cut by cleveland after all so i can't imagine his markets gonna be hot

the walrus has a good plan...like the corner stuff although tracy porter has terrific feet he's been fighting a serious neck issue for some time if i recall correctly...still if patterson is really $4.6 mil against the cap next year i might be cutting bait with that or at minimum telling that kid to restructure...he was cut by cleveland after all so i can't imagine his markets gonna be hot

Would fit the picture, if true.

We'll see about Patterson, but $4.6 million isn't overpaying if you're getting a top quality nickel. I'm not familiar enough with him to know if he is, but those guys are starters in my book.

Derek Cox gets a 10th of the publicity as guys with his skill and talent. He's not a superstar by any means. Still has rawness to his game. But he's best corner available in free agency, imo. And with Gene Smith getting fired they might not be so inclined to keep him. Coyle and Anarumo have worked some magic with the guys we have. I'd be excited to see what they could do with Cox.

Don't know how much money would be involved, but could Miami let Fasano go, cut Egnew, and sign two FA TE's? Keller may be costly but IMO two like Davis and Cook won't break the bank. Then we have those two playmakers and add Clay foe another.

Is Legedu Nannee available? I hear he's really good.

Back
Top Bottom