Barry Jackson Sports Buzz: 13 analysts weigh in on Dolphins 1st round pick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson Sports Buzz: 13 analysts weigh in on Dolphins 1st round pick

I would argue that the problem last year wasn't ignoring the big hole. It was not recognizing it. NOBODY wanted us to take a lineman (the popular phrase was "cornfed"). We didn't ignore a hole. We didn't recognize or acknowledge it. If Taylor and Davis cannot play we'd be doing the same thing this year. I'm not saying they aren't any good. That's for Hickey to evaluate. But IMHO we aren't currently stocked with known commodities at CB for the upcoming year or beyond right now so I have no problem with Hickey taking a corner if he has conviction the guy is a starter in this league.

I disagree. Nobody wanted to take cornfed at the spot we were picking. I didn't see anybody say we should completely ignore it. With the trade up for the price we paid, Johnson would have made a lot of sense.

We are putting a lot of faith in Finnegan returning to old form, and I don't mean his play from a year ago, I mean his play from at least 3 years ago. Then we have two completely unproven rookies, only one of which I feel has any real promise (Taylor), but still nothing certain. That being said, I agree, I'd only consider one of the top CBs. That's one of the very few "benefits" of being an 8-8 team. There are a lot of ways we could go and improve the team. :lol:

Basically, if my two options at #19 are taking a top CB, WR, or a reach at OT or worse, OG, I'm going with the CB or WR; and then it's just which ever one is higher on my board.
lol, agreed. there aren't many areas that can't use an infusion of elite talent on this team. I just feel there will good players available at positions that are in worse shape than CB

fair enough. but let me ask you this:
if you have a choice between Dennard, Su'a-Filo and Martin at #19, do you choose the CB?

Nope. I take Martin or XSF. But I think both have a chance to be Pro Bowl players. I would take Dennard instead of reaching for the tackles after Martin though. I'm pretty much assuming that Martin doesn't drop to us.

I disagree. Nobody wanted to take cornfed at the spot we were picking. I didn't see anybody say we should completely ignore it. With the trade up for the price we paid, Johnson would have made a lot of sense.

In hindsight I agree Johnson would have made a lot of sense, but nobody (or almost nobody) before the draft last year wanted us to trade up to grab one of the top 3 tackles. Most people didn't want the position addressed until the 2nd or 3rd round at the earliest. Not to say there weren't some who ran counter to that, but it was very common last year to hear people say you can deal with the o-line late in the draft.

In hindsight I agree Johnson would have made a lot of sense, but nobody (or almost nobody) before the draft last year wanted us to trade up to grab one of the top 3 tackles. Most people didn't want the position addressed until the 2nd or 3rd round at the earliest. Not to say there weren't some who ran counter to that, but it was very common last year to hear people say you can deal with the o-line late in the draft.

I still believe that to be the case. Of course, that requires a good GM and scouting department to spot the talent AND take the shot. Dallas Thomas type picks won't cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pass rusher, I agree. I do not agree with CB. Outside of Grimes, we don't have anything close to a sure thing, and even with Grimes, we only have a couple more years left with him at this level. CB should absolutely be under consideration. RB should never be picked in the 1st, especially this year, so that's not an issue.
I'm with you on that. The closer the draft gets, the more I keep thinking corner could be the pick at #19. Fuller and Dennard are players to watch if they make it to Miami. Like you said, Grimes is 30 and Finnegan is 30 and Taylor is unproven.

Corner, or even defensive back in general is definitely a position we should be thinking about at 19, only the coaches know how close or far Taylor and Davis are and the signing of Finnegan probably speaks to that somewhat. After this season the only two defensive backs we're sure will be back are Jones and Grimes, everybody else is either unproven or on one year deals.

You take the best player available in the first round period. We wasted so many first round picks prior to Ireland showing up that it is not even funny. We should have never traded Vonte Davis IMO to Indy and if that was the case today there would not any discussion on a CB plus we should have resigned Carrol who was cheap enough. Every time we get a new coach or GM the churning begins again and it never stops. Philbin did not like Vonte Davis and while I am not a big fan of Marshall if we had some coaches with the gonads to stand up to the guy and really coach him then wide reciever would be a pretty set position on this team and those 2 seconds we gave away for him would have been well spent. Talking offensive line Jerry should have been resigned also he was cheap enough and could play right tackle if needed. I believe the Ravens signed him. Anyway Jerry would have put us in a much better position to take that best player available in the is draft. Right now it's offensive line to the right offensive line to the left as far as this draft is concerned. Shulas slast year we were in the same position drafted 2 lineman in the 1st 2 rounds who were both duds, even when we drafted Richmand Webb and Kieth Sims it took 2 years before Sims founds his way onto the field to play well. That is a luxury we do not have. We are missing 3 starting positions on the offensive line plus "need" a linebacker that can stop the run after Philbin sent Dansby packing. The same Dansby whom played at a pro bowl level with the Cards this year, I guess that Philbin as a head coach could not see what he really had in Dansby. Putting all our faith in Hickey to pull some miracles off in this draft is interesting, considering Hickey is a guy that comes over from the lowly Bucs who no longer wanted his services and he signs with our team that ironically is a team that no reputable GM in the league would sign with. I love these draft but this team has no choice but to go offensive line in the first few rounds and hope to get lucky and then hope somehow Philbin learns how to be a head coach fast enough to stick around long enough to build this team. If not we will have Ross picking another coach which is scary and no decent GM in the league willing to sign on with the Phins because of Aponte.

Back
Top Bottom