Bears fandom Flo concern | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bears fandom Flo concern

Lifelong Dolphins/Bears fan here (long story), hope this thread stays in this forum...

While myself and others are excited by the prospect of Flores coming to the Bears, many are expressing deep concerns over his lack of ability to get a staff in order, and how he couldn't deal with Tua and wanted to go after Watson...

I'm not sure how to respond to those criticisms.

Those concerns are valid and cost him his job. His inability to put together a reasonable coaching staff on offense was inexcusable for a head coach. He showed no signs of that getting any better. just more turnover on the offensive coaching staff.

I think the best case scenario for Flores might be to take a year away from the game. Re-evaluate what went wrong in Miami, see how you can improve etc.

As it stands, you've got to be able to put quality assistant coaches around you. That is where he struggled in Miami. Love his defensive scheme, the idea of being multiple etc.

I do believe he'll get another shot. Definitely deserves that.

Lifelong Dolphins/Bears fan here (long story), hope this thread stays in this forum...

While myself and others are excited by the prospect of Flores coming to the Bears, many are expressing deep concerns over his lack of ability to get a staff in order, and how he couldn't deal with Tua and wanted to go after Watson...

If you've read any of the threads here, there should be concerns.
In 3 years, the OL regressed.
This year the D regressed the 1st 8 games until Flo went back to the '20 D scheme
First two years Mia had fewer penalties. This year, . . . regression
Heavy tendency to get a 7pt lead and try to sit on it
Mia didn't play to talent level
I doubt anyone here will disagree with any of those.

One factor no one will know until it's too late for the Bears . . . where will his assts land? I think a consensus here is a number of them shouldn't get jobs unless it's a step lower. If that is true, that's a serious indictment. OTOH, if all of them land jobs at their Mia level or higher, maybe FH is being too harsh.

Flip side, as far as talent level, it's higher than it's been in years. He's intense. He does get credit for a good D.

I'm not a fan of Flores. Don't think his record was "good" look at the context of our wins. Most were against 2nd, 3rd and 4th string QB, decimated rosters from COVID or just God awful teams to begin with.

We struggled to compete with most half decent squads for 3 full seasons.

His game management is poor, his communication is poor, his gameplans are poor, and his hiring is awful.

Ever wanted a guy coaching you OL who shouldn't even be a HS coach? Yeah...me either.
My thoughts exactly. Well put.

Look back at all the things everyone ignored as long as Flores and Miami were winning. You don't even need to look at things being leaked after the firing.

- Angry at Barry Jackson for putting in an article that a backup O-lineman might play against the Cardinals when the starter was on the injury report and was clearly not 100%.
- Defensive minded head coach not even consulting his OC Gailey before deciding to start Tua.
- Chris Grier is known to be easy to work with, and historically defers to coaches even though he has final say on trades/draft picks. No matter what you think of Grier if that's his reputation and you can't get along with him...it might not be Grier that's the problem.
- Billy Turner and Ereck Flowers were trash on our O-line in 2020; Turner gets traded to GB and turns into a stud. Flowers goes to WFT and becomes serviceable.
- Flores had full control of coaching and personnel and it only got worse from year to year.
- A couple of coaches actually made lateral moves to get away from the team. I believe it was Al Golden who is the LB coach for the Bengals is one of them. He was the LB coach for Miami for one year and dipped out to Cincinatti for the same job. Coaches don't tend to leave teams for the same job; only for promotions.
- Post game of the second Buffalo Bills game this year the defense played much better. Xavien Howard was asked why and he basically said they went back to what worked last season (So basically the coaching staff waited to lose 6 games, including winnable games against LV, Jacksonville, and Atlanta before going back to what worked last year with the same personnel? Yikes.)
- Post game of the Titans game this year. The Press asked Mike Gesicki if there was a second offensive game plan in place for the weather (freezing rain). He said there was no alternate gameplan for the weather (Another big coaching yikes).
- Coaching staff got worse every year and nobody with experience came here.
- Everything to do with players from Kenny Stills, Kyle Van Noy, Fitzpatrick, etc. It doesn't matter if Flores is right or wrong, the way they were all handled was bad at worst, strange at the least.

In the end nobody cared because we put some wins together and all this stuff was swept mentally under the rug. But now that he's gone you can look back at it and think, "Huh, yeah maybe it wasn't as good as I thought it was."

Any leader will only be as good as those persons who he/she surround themselves with. As others have posted, Flores failed to drive continuity on his staff as there was a revolving door of coaches. This instability and second tier coaches influenced the poor play. One only has to look at our offensive line coach issues since Flores took the helm. We will have to see with a new head coach if our poor line play is a result of poor player selection or coaching.

What also needs to be examined is the way Flores handled Tua. Last season, benching Tua was a big red flag. We believed Flores statement that he was trying to win at all costs. I now believe this and winning at all costs is not worth it if you tamper with the psyche of a young player. His development of and relationship with Tua has been less than desireable.

I also agree with the points that Flores struggled with game day preparation and making game time adjustments with the schemes other teams threw out him. He also made some very questionable calls such as going for a first down in lieu of putting points on the board in tight games and when to throw the red flag (this is also attributed to his staff).

I am not a Flores hater and have supported his staying and Grier's departure. The more that has leaked out (such as Grier trying to make power grabs within the organization), I have become at ease with his departure and hope for a coaching upgrade. I am standing pat on my belief Grier needs to be excommunicated from the Dolphin organization.

Look back at all the things everyone ignored as long as Flores and Miami were winning. You don't even need to look at things being leaked after the firing.

- Angry at Barry Jackson for putting in an article that a backup O-lineman might play against the Cardinals when the starter was on the injury report and was clearly not 100%.
- Defensive minded head coach not even consulting his OC Gailey before deciding to start Tua.
- Chris Grier is known to be easy to work with, and historically defers to coaches even though he has final say on trades/draft picks. No matter what you think of Grier if that's his reputation and you can't get along with him...it might not be Grier that's the problem.
- Billy Turner and Ereck Flowers were trash on our O-line in 2020; Turner gets traded to GB and turns into a stud. Flowers goes to WFT and becomes serviceable.
- Flores had full control of coaching and personnel and it only got worse from year to year.
- A couple of coaches actually made lateral moves to get away from the team. I believe it was Al Golden who is the LB coach for the Bengals is one of them. He was the LB coach for Miami for one year and dipped out to Cincinatti for the same job. Coaches don't tend to leave teams for the same job; only for promotions.
- Post game of the second Buffalo Bills game this year the defense played much better. Xavien Howard was asked why and he basically said they went back to what worked last season (So basically the coaching staff waited to lose 6 games, including winnable games against LV, Jacksonville, and Atlanta before going back to what worked last year with the same personnel? Yikes.)
- Post game of the Titans game this year. The Press asked Mike Gesicki if there was a second offensive game plan in place for the weather (freezing rain). He said there was no alternate gameplan for the weather (Another big coaching yikes).
- Coaching staff got worse every year and nobody with experience came here.
- Everything to do with players from Kenny Stills, Kyle Van Noy, Fitzpatrick, etc. It doesn't matter if Flores is right or wrong, the way they were all handled was bad at worst, strange at the least.

In the end nobody cared because we put some wins together and all this stuff was swept mentally under the rug. But now that he's gone you can look back at it and think, "Huh, yeah maybe it wasn't as good as I thought it was."
Minor detail….Billy Turner has been gone for a long time.

Agree on most other points.

...- Post game of the second Buffalo Bills game this year the defense played much better. Xavien Howard was asked why and he basically said they went back to what worked last season (So basically the coaching staff waited to lose 6 games, including winnable games against LV, Jacksonville, and Atlanta before going back to what worked last year with the same personnel? Yikes.)...

Agree. If you have something that works; why mess with it?

None of us know all of the context for the firing of Coach Flo, but I believe the Bear fans are laser locked on the most important questions. Why did Coach Flo fail to land a good OC? Is the word out that they better pay you 3x the normal salary to work under this guy? Is it just media BS?

There is no doubt about the Xs and Os side of the equation. He is a good coach.

Get him a strong OC and youll be fine tbh. And maybe a QB he wont actively sabotage

Damn, that's not fair to you......you had to deal with him here and now you might get him again up there?

Back
Top Bottom