Beefy OL Fonoti draws praise from Saban | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Beefy OL Fonoti draws praise from Saban

The only interesting part about Saban's press conference was when he pointed out that they've been short an offensive lineman for weeks now and so they went ahead and tried Toniu out and were "pleasantly surprised" by how much he weighed.

He's about 350 pounds right now which is lower than what he played at in college, lower than what he played at in San Diego, and lower than where he was in Minnesota and Tampa.

I think that's very promising. If he was willing to work hard enough to get his weight lower than it's been in a long long time then maybe he's willing to work hard enough to stay on the roster.

Saban and the Hud like them beefy, so he may stick around. He will not be ready as a backup for 2 more weeks. Hopefully, he does not make it into a game this season.

Fonoti was a BEAST for us in preseason. I still can't figure out why he got cut. He showed up pretty heavy at about 380 but was down to 345 by TC. The guy was leveling people left and right when he was actually in the game.

Then he got cut. :confused:

I was hoping it was just a cap move and they were going to bring him back after week 2 but......

Thanks nawlins for the recent observation. Thats good to hear. MIght make it seem he isn't too far off, and it would be interesting to find out why he was cut.

"He's a big'n," a smiling Saban said.
:lol:

It's good that Fonoti's at 350. A few more pounds lost can help but it's better than 400. Houck knows what this guy can do. Still, he couldn't protect Culpepper in Minnesota (then again, with the time Culpepper takes to throw a pass, who can?).

NawlinsBucFan said:
Fonoti was a BEAST for us in preseason. I still can't figure out why he got cut. He showed up pretty heavy at about 380 but was down to 345 by TC. The guy was leveling people left and right when he was actually in the game.

Then he got cut. :confused:

I was hoping it was just a cap move and they were going to bring him back after week 2 but......

Probably because he pulled some kind of stupid move like didn't show up for meetings or went AWOL for a day or two or something like that.

cnc66 said:
ahhh, but Nick LOVES those wide bodied boys

I'll tell you who is going to love this guy if he regains his football form - Ronnie Brown. Great low risk high reward pickup

ckparrothead said:
LOL. Great find.

The weight REALLY gives me hope though. A genuine 350 is not the same as the 400, 380, or even 370 that he was weighing elsewhere.

But what can you do when a guy just doesn't show up to work every now and then? He just doesn't know what it takes to be a real pro.
Either the light will come on or it wont....he will either realize "hey im going to be a 15.00 dollar an hour bouncer if I keep this up" or he will stop screwing up. I would guess if he doesnt make it with the fins he will pretty much be out of the NFL.

Fonoti's problem is his mental make-up.

He's content at being mediocre.

Back
Top Bottom