Best Case For Austin I've Read. lol | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Case For Austin I've Read. lol

If anything, in forthcoming years the rules will be slanted even more in favor of guys like Austin, and the passing game in general.

I suspect the referendum will pass, even if we draft a towel boy in the first round. A specialized election like that is decided by which side has the passion and money. That will be the supporters. The Dolphins no doubt will launch a media blitz in the final weeks, one that will be largely unopposed. It's a completely different situational landscape than a referendum thrown into a high turnout general election, in which case it would have no chance.

This is like Ned Lamont defeating Joe Lieberman in the primary then being thumped by Lieberman in November, when everyone had a say.

However, ck's point is good in that the Dolphins may handicap the situation as if they need a boost coming out of the draft. What's the joke about the gorilla who hit a driver to within 5 feet on a par 5? His second shot was another driver, traveling 500 yards. This Dolphin brass is capable of being so petrified they'll overplay anything.

The point about low turnout, about the media blitz that will need to take place in the couple of weeks before the referendum (i.e. immediately after the draft) is exactly why if I were them I would indeed seriously consider manipulating draft strategy to get this done. You need to have fuel for this blitz, and the Mike Wallace signing is already stale.

And like I said, the strategy may not have anything to do with a Tavon Austin. It may be as simple as vetoing draft picks at 12 that are almost certain to drive the fanbase into the spitting mad frenzy that they've been at various points in the last 5 years. I mean jesus, if they come out and announce a pick as unpopular as Ted Ginn, complete with embarrassing YouTube videos of the "boos" during the announcement...that's the kind of thing that can feed back on itself in the media loop.

Actually the BEST case for Tavon Austin is the simple fact that the fanbase would be giddy about picking him.

There's a briefcase on the table in front of you that contains $200 million. A mere two weeks after the draft, whether you get that $200 million will be decided by a simple popularity contest. You've got plenty of "fans" out there. You could win. All you need to ensure that is get them to SHOW UP.

What do you do?

It really is that simple...

...i will say, tho, Tyler Eifert would have a similar effect to the fans that have actually watched him play.

Personally I would be against the Owner having any say in Personnel Decisions but if Ross was the reason we drafted Tanny and is the reason we draft Austin, then I hope he gets involved.
Chubbs

The point about low turnout, about the media blitz that will need to take place in the couple of weeks before the referendum (i.e. immediately after the draft) is exactly why if I were them I would indeed seriously consider manipulating draft strategy to get this done. You need to have fuel for this blitz, and the Mike Wallace signing is already stale.

And like I said, the strategy may not have anything to do with a Tavon Austin. It may be as simple as vetoing draft picks at 12 that are almost certain to drive the fanbase into the spitting mad frenzy that they've been at various points in the last 5 years. I mean jesus, if they come out and announce a pick as unpopular as Ted Ginn, complete with embarrassing YouTube videos of the "boos" during the announcement...that's the kind of thing that can feed back on itself in the media loop.

There is MUCH merit to what you say CK. It's about mobilizing the fan base, and countering the mobilization that the Billy Corben's and Norman Braman's will pay to ensure.

I love Jonathan Cooper. I love Sheldon Richardson. But now is not the time for those kind've picks, not with so much riding on popular sentiment..

I'd be devastated with Austin

What about the success of Darren Sproles, Randall Cobb, Wes Welker don't you appreciate?

This is the new NFL. Scat backs and slot WR make a huge difference in an offense..

man ross is a damn billionaire. he could easily foot the bill for the stadium upgrades. so we only draft austin cause it helps in the stadium upgrade vote? man you have to be kidding me. i would love to draft austin cause he adds a speed element to this offense thats been missing since the 80"s. i guess if we trade up for an ot that stadium vote is gonna fail miserably..... ridiculous!

You think he got to be a billionaire by making bad deals?

You don't own an NFL franchise to make money. It's more of a hobby than anything..

There is MUCH merit to what you say CK. It's about mobilizing the fan base, and countering the mobilization that the Billy Corben's and Norman Braman's will pay to ensure.

I love Jonathan Cooper. I love Sheldon Richardson. But now is not the time for those kind've picks, not with so much riding on popular sentiment..

I don't know if Sheldon Richardson is a land mine. But I think any guard, or a D.J. Fluker...those are land mines.

I will be ecstatic if we draft Austin. Our offense would have the potential to be the most electric it's been in a very long time. I don't care that he's small. I don't care that he's short. He's electric and explosive. I dare teams to stop Austin and Wallace with a decent pass catching TE over the middle, Hartline and/or Bess in the slot.

Pick your poison.

I love that people are now naming every small player (I was going to say fast but I just aw WELKER being mentioned so there goes that) that has had some success being mentioned as reasons we should draft Austin.

He's a great prospect, but come on guys.

I love that people are now naming every small player (I was going to say fast but I just aw WELKER being mentioned so there goes that) that has had some success being mentioned as reasons we should draft Austin.

He's a great prospect, but come on guys.

I'm not in favor of drafting Austin, but I would understand and be supportive if they did. Look at the effect Sproles had in NO. Do I want him at 12? Personally, rather draft Eifert

It's a completely different situational landscape than a referendum thrown into a high turnout general election, in which case it would have no chance.

Yep, most of the people who show up to vote on a referendum are people that are very passionate about it - people who are fans of the team, and people affiliated with the renovations. Your average non-football fan voter (who would likely vote no) wont show up to this one. Ross already has this one in the bag, and this referendum passes no matter who we draft.

Back
Top Bottom