Bonds exposed | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bonds exposed

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Beginning in 1998 with injections in his buttocks of Winstrol, a powerful steroid, Barry Bonds took a wide array of performance-enhancing drugs over at least five seasons in a massive doping regimen that grew more sophisticated as the years went on, according to Game of Shadows, a book written by two San Francisco Chronicle reporters at the forefront of reporting on the BALCO steroid distribution scandal.

(Click here for an excerpt from Shadows, whichdetails Bonds' steroid use. It is also available in the March 13 issue of Sports Illustrated, which hits newsstands beginning on Wednesday. Shadows will be published on March 27.)

The authors, Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams, describe in sometimes day-to-day, drug-by-drug detail how often and how deeply Bonds engaged in the persistent doping. For instance, the authors write that by 2001, when Bonds broke Mark McGwire's single-season home-run record (70) by belting 73, Bonds was using two designer steroids referred to as the Cream and the Clear, as well as insulin, human growth hormone, testosterone decanoate (a fast-acting steroid known as Mexican beans) and trenbolone, a steroid created to improve the muscle quality of cattle.

BALCO tracked Bonds' usage with doping calendars and folders -- detailing drugs, quantities, intervals and Bonds' testosterone levels -- that wound up in the hands of federal agents upon their Sept. 3, 2003 raid of the Burlingame, Calif., business.

Depending on the substance, Bonds used the drugs in virtually every conceivable form: injecting himself with a syringe or being injected by his trainer, Greg Anderson, swallowing pills, placing drops of liquid under his tongue, and, in the case of BALCO's notorious testosterone-based cream, applying it topically.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/baseball/mlb/03/06/news.excerpt/index.html

Stop the presses. Barry Bonds did steroids!

Bottom line, MLB didn't have a steroid policy. So it comes down to nothing.

This is WATERGATE! The federal g'vment couldn't bring Bonds down, so they handed everything over to some reporters, who now wrote a book and will try and destroy him this way.

MikeO said:
Stop the presses. Barry Bonds did steroids!

Bottom line, MLB didn't have a steroid policy. So it comes down to nothing.

This is WATERGATE! The federal g'vment couldn't bring Bonds down, so they handed everything over to some reporters, who now wrote a book and will try and destroy him this way.
so how did these writers get all this info that nobody else was able to get? i dont know how credible the book is...did they go talk to his suppliers which i doubt..how did they know what steroids he used? how did they know that he started off with winstrol first and then deca? how do they know who injected him b/c anderson sure didnt tell anyone

tucker said:
so how did these writers get all this info that nobody else was able to get? i dont know how credible the book is...did they go talk to his suppliers which i doubt..how did they know what steroids he used? how did they know that he started off with winstrol first and then deca? how do they know who injected him b/c anderson sure didnt tell anyone

Im guessing people in the federal g'ment leaked this info to them and handed over a bunch of stuff. The grand jury testimony from everyone is sealed and can never be let out. This is just a way around that.

Bonds has done this to himself, I do not one bit feel any sorrow for him. He is a nasty SOB which helps all these people want to go after him.

I hope he does not break Aarons record!

It's time for the Commissioner of Baseball (Bud) to end this farce and ban Bonds before the season starts. What he did is just as bad as what Pete Rose did. Cheating is cheating. They also should wipe the records books of Mark McGwire and Raffie Palmiero's home runs, and also those of Sammy Sosa. Then they should ban these guys from being put in the Hall of Fame. Great players like Mike Schmidt had to hit homers the old fashioned way...these cheaters have ruined the game forever. :rolleyes:

Roman529 said:
It's time for the Commissioner of Baseball (Bud) to end this farce and ban Bonds before the season starts. What he did is just as bad as what Pete Rose did. Cheating is cheating. They also should wipe the records books of Mark McGwire and Raffie Palmiero's home runs, and also those of Sammy Sosa. Then they should ban these guys from being put in the Hall of Fame. Great players like Mike Schmidt had to hit homers the old fashioned way...these cheaters have ruined the game forever. :rolleyes:

The problem is this. Where is the proof?

I don't like the guy, yes I believe he is a cheater and a rotten human being!

But you can't ban a guy for thinking he is a cheater and being a rotten person.

Roman529 said:

Some thoughts..........

1) It's not the same as Pete Rose. Rose was or could have been fixing games from the bench. Bonds was just using suplements to improve HIS play. Not determining the outcome of games. Plus there was a rule in place for what Rose was doing. There were no anti-steroids rule in baseball at the time.

2) Too much is made out of records and record books. None of these records mean anything anymore because of the way the ballparks are built and the number of teams in the league these days.

3) Hall of Fame entry is overrated in my opinion anyway, who cares! It's not like anyone makes any money or becomes a "superstar" on getting into the hall of fame. All the hall of fame is that for one weekend in your life, they take you to the backwoods of NY State in Cooperstown, and get your *** kissed for 3 days straight. It means nothing!!!

And one thing to remember, THERE WAS NO DRUG TESTING OR STEROID TESTING IN MLB WHEN BONDS (among others) WAS DOING THIS!!!!!! You can't break a rule when there is no rule in place. Now you can say its against the law......but if MLB isn't testing for that then you can't hold it against him in the way of record books, and hall of fame stuff.

Everyone knows Bonds did steroids, he even himself in some roundabout way admited it himself with the cream and all of that BS. Now, we have people (with the g'vemnt I believe behind them) on a witch-hunt to get this guy. And that is just wrong.

tucker said:

remember this; if there is anything in that book that is not factual, Barry Bonds has the mother of all slander (for testimony) / libel (for the book) lawsuits, that he can file... if he doesnt sue the authors, then it is because he is scared of what will come out in a court case.

the authors used over 220 sources to corroborate their story. and much of it is sworn testimony to federal investigators. they got all this info because the federal indictments against Victor Conte of BALCO, and Greg Anderson (Bonds longtime friend and personal trainer) reached plea agreements and the two plead guilty for their involvement in steroid distribution and manufacturing. therefore the evidence that would have been used against them in a trial was unsealed by the court.

i believe anyone has access to the information if you did a FOIA (Freedom Of Information Act) request, as i understand it.

Bonds is guilty... his defense is that he took what Anderson told him to without questioning what was going into his body. Bonds is a guy who refuses to eat from the teams post game spread because he doesnt know the fat and calorie content of the foods they put out.

why didnt Congress compell Bonds to testify before their committee last year, when the BALCO/Canseco book furor was going on like they did McGwire, Sosa, Canseco, etc??? that stinks to high heaven...

it seems to me that baseball used its considerable pull to get him out of that, and ive heard people theorize that he is being protected because he will surpass Ruth this year almost certainly, and possibly Aarron's all time homerun record.

why would baseball protect him? because Aarron's HR record is the biggest record in sports. and they dont want to even have to deal with the taint of a steroid user owning arguably the most significant record in sports.

it infuriates me that a true gentleman and incredible natural athlete named Hank Aarron will be relugated to second by a fraud, just like Roger Maris' record was surpassed initially by those frauds McGwire and Sosa, and later by the fraud named Barry Bonds.

MikeO said:
And one thing to remember, THERE WAS NO DRUG TESTING OR STEROID TESTING IN MLB WHEN BONDS (among others) WAS DOING THIS!!!!!! You can't break a rule when there is no rule in place. Now you can say its against the law......but if MLB isn't testing for that then you can't hold it against him in the way of record books, and hall of fame stuff.

Everyone knows Bonds did steroids, he even himself in some roundabout way admited it himself with the cream and all of that BS. Now, we have people (with the g'vemnt I believe behind them) on a witch-hunt to get this guy. And that is just wrong.

How is it a witch hunt when the guy probably lied in federal court under oath? This isn't a witch hunt, there's apparently proof.

I dislike Bonds however I don't think his records should be wiped out nor should be get suspended, like you're saying. Like you said there was no rule about steroids when he was doing it and he's passed all his drug tests since the rule has been in place.

i just dont see how some of the info they are releasing was able to be obtained unless they watched bonds do these things....and how can they get this info if it was not allowed to be leaked? you said it wasnt held by the court, charleston, but how did nobody else come up with this info when it was right there for the taking under the FOIA? some of the info that is released is too specific and its just too hard for a lot of that to be true...i personally dont care about him taking anything, b/c until just recently, he was allowed to take it in MLB...and if has stopped taking steroids, he's still huge..i mean he hasnt lost any size...usually once off steroids, you start losing some of the weight that was gained...you usually lose up to 30% of what you gained off a cycle, but he hasnt

Roman529 said:

This would be great, but who knows who else used performance enhancing drugs? A book that states that Bonds used steroids, wasn't that known a couple years ago? If you wanna wipe out the records ya better wipe out all the records prior to african americans being able to play. Who knows who else was on steroids? This is being made out to be a much bigger deal than it really is, after his grand jury testimony was leaked wasn't it common knowledge that he used steroids?

MikeO said:

They were reporters paid to investigate a story. Hardly a witch hunt. Mabey their sources had their own motives, but you cant blaim the guys who put two years of their lives into this; just doing their jobs.

some thoughts on your thoughts

MikeO said:
2) Too much is made out of records and record books. None of these records mean anything anymore because of the way the ballparks are built and the number of teams in the league these days.

While I will agree that the watered down pitching staffs and, to a lesser degree, ballpark configurations have contributed to the offensive boom... The records DO matter... They matter to kids, to history, and to relevance.... Dimaggio, Williams, Ruth, etc. matter because of their greatness, gauged through RECORDS...

MikeO said:
3) Hall of Fame entry is overrated in my opinion anyway, who cares! It's not like anyone makes any money or becomes a "superstar" on getting into the hall of fame. All the hall of fame is that for one weekend in your life, they take you to the backwoods of NY State in Cooperstown, and get your *** kissed for 3 days straight. It means nothing!!!

this is about the most blatant bunch of nonsense i believe i've ever heard on this forum... Hall of Fame discussion goes on forever in almost every sports circle, and it's a bone of contention for every borderline player who is passed over... It's the pinnacle achievement for any MLB player, and to dismiss it is disrespecting the game... "It means nothing?" ... Spin or minimize it any way you like.... Your opinion is fast treading water....

MikeO said:

No, it's not wrong. It's accountability. He's a liar, in the face of overwhelming evidence against him for almost a decade, ever since his head literally expanded at age 35. You're right about the farsical lack of a rule, but this is about public perception, which means quite a bit to some (most) people. Barry Bonds and his legacy will be officially tarnished forever. Frankly, I don't feel one bit sorry for him. He cheated a game that brought him millions of dollars, and he could never show enough gratitude so as to have a pleasant persona about it. Go retire, Barry. And just fade away.

PressCoverage said:
some thoughts on your thoughts

While I will agree that the watered down pitching staffs and, to a lesser degree, ballpark configurations have contributed to the offensive boom... The records DO matter... They matter to kids, to history, and to relevance.... Dimaggio, Williams, Ruth, etc. matter because of their greatness, gauged through RECORDS...

this is about the most blatant bunch of nonsense i believe i've ever heard on this forum... Hall of Fame discussion goes on forever in almost every sports circle, and it's a bone of contention for every borderline player who is passed over... It's the pinnacle achievement for any MLB player, and to dismiss it is disrespecting the game... "It means nothing?" ... Spin or minimize it any way you like.... Your opinion is fast treading water....

No, it's not wrong. It's accountability. He's a liar, in the face of overwhelming evidence against him for almost a decade, ever since his head literally expanded at age 35. You're right about the farsical lack of a rule, but this is about public perception, which means quite a bit to some (most) people. Barry Bonds and his legacy will be officially tarnished forever. Frankly, I don't feel one bit sorry for him. He cheated a game that brought him millions of dollars, and he could never show enough gratitude so as to have a pleasant persona about it. Go retire, Barry. And just fade away.

Oh please...even If he did do steroids it may be morally wrong, but it wasn't against the rules.

Back
Top Bottom