Booker trade about system, not talent | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Booker trade about system, not talent

Completely agree... We all know what BP looks for in a player. He was never one for the flashy speedy quick guys. He like his powerful, smack you in the mouth style runners, and thats not Booker. You can also see this in the differences between BP offensive line and Cam offensive line... They are both on opposite sides of the spectrum.. Cam liked lighter, quicker, more athletic types, where BP wants the big, bulky, smash you around type guys...

Two COMPLETELY different systems

We did awesome with the trade.

We got an up and coming starting tight end. We got a starting linebacker. And we got our future starting guard (I really like Murphy). Parcells was a genius to pull that off.

And we replaced Booker with a better player in the 6th round. A kid who can actually block for the QB and is not afraid to run inside (Parmele).

WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN situation by getting rid of Booker who was not needed at all. We got guys who will play every down for us. Not just 3 or 4 plays a game like Booker would have played.. Fantastic move to trade him.

Completely agree... We all know what BP looks for in a player. He was never one for the flashy speedy quick guys. He like his powerful, smack you in the mouth style runners, and thats not Booker. You can also see this in the differences between BP offensive line and Cam offensive line... They are both on opposite sides of the spectrum.. Cam liked lighter, quicker, more athletic types, where BP wants the big, bulky, smash you around type guys...

Two COMPLETELY different systems

To be entirely honest, if I had to choose I would prefer the speed system because I think that you can do a lot more when you're faster than the opposing team.

However, given the track record of Parcells & company AND the 1-15 season that's just behind us....well.....I might have changed my mind at this point next year. We'll see ;)

To be entirely honest, if I had to choose I would prefer the speed system because I think that you can do a lot more when you're faster than the opposing team.

However, given the track record of Parcells & company AND the 1-15 season that's just behind us....well.....I might have changed my mind at this point next year. We'll see ;)

Im not trying to compare the two systems and say which I think is better or worse. It all depends on what kind of players can play in that system. Yeah, a speed type of offense that Cam likes would be more fun to watch and could probably score more points, than the brutalizing Parcells system which may not score as many points because its a slower offense that just beats teams into the ground and holds the ball for the majority of the game.

If executed properly both work.

Guys, keep in mind that Parcells' offensive system scored plenty of points in Dallas.

If we get the right QB (hopefully Beck or Henne) the points will come.

P.S. I cannot wait to see a healthy Ronnie Brown and/or Ricky Williams running behind our revamped and behemoth offensive line!!!!!!

IMO It was the VALUE of the trade some had issue with more than anything.

Its over and time to move on...

Guys, keep in mind that Parcells' offensive system scored plenty of points in Dallas.

Exactly. The 2 years before Parcells took over the Cowboys their offense ranked 31st and 30th in each of those 2 seasons.

The following 2 years after Parcells' arrival, the Cowboys offense was immediately better getting ranked in the 20's.

And then in 2005 the offense took a good jump by being ranked 14th in the league.

Then the following year in 2006, the cowboys offense took another good leap by being ranked 4th in the NFL.

By contrast, in the last 4 years the dolphins have ranked as one of the 6 worst offenses in 3 of those 4 years.

Parcells knows what he's doing. If he thinks Booker has no use in this offense, then Booker has no use in this offense.

What I dont understand is why let go of Chatman, who would fit into a Parcells system and take not 1, but 2 RB's in the draft, two guys who wont be any better than Chatman either.

That makes no sense to me at all

What I dont understand is why let go of Chatman, who would fit into a Parcells system and take not 1, but 2 RB's in the draft, two guys who wont be any better than Chatman either.

That makes no sense to me at all

Chatman did not fit into a Parcells system. He's not really that big (5-8, 223) and was a very poor pass blocker, often wiffing on blocks that led to our quarterbacks getting obliterated or forced out of the pocket and into bad throws.

I wouldn't say it all the system...Parcells did have Meggett.

Meggett was 10 times tougher than Booker.. Booker has never shown to be a tough inside runner even in college. Meggett, during his college years did show that he can run inside and attack the line, and that transformed into the NFL.

Meggett had balls for his size and blocked for his QB when needed. Another thing Booker simply cannot do.

These are some of the things Parcells liked in Meggett.. Heck, he even said it in his book.

Booker just isn't tough, he's way too shy. He is a fringe player who may see 3 or 4 plays a game and nothing more.. We did the right thing by getting rid of him for a much better return

When Parcells first got here and there was talk about how he liked bigger players, Booker was one of the first guys who I suspected would be a casualty of his system.

Meggett was 10 times tougher than Booker.. Booker has never shown to be a tough inside runner even in college. Meggett, during his college years did show that he can run inside and attack the line, and that transformed into the NFL.

Meggett had balls for his size and blocked for his QB when needed. Another thing Booker simply cannot do.

These are some of the things Parcells liked in Meggett.. Heck, he even said it in his book.

Booker just isn't tough, he's way too shy. He is a fringe player who may see 3 or 4 plays a game and nothing more.. We did the right thing by getting rid of him for a much better return

First Meggett was never a basic running back for the Giants...he was used just like Booker was by the Dolphins.
He was mostly a receiver...and returner...all one has to do is look at his stats and see that much;

In his 10 NFL seasons, Meggett amassed 1,648 rushing yards, 336 receptions for 3,083 yards, 3,708 punt return yards, and 5,566 yards returning kickoffs. In total, Meggett gained 14,005 all-purpose yards and scored 29 touchdowns (8 rushing, 11 receiving, 7 punt returns, 1 kickoff return). He also completed four of eight passes for 114 yards and four touchdowns.
His 3,708 punt return yards are currently the second most in NFL history.

10 seasons...1,648 yds rushing....whats that 10 yds a game average? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom