Booker trade about system, not talent | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Booker trade about system, not talent

Chatman did not fit into a Parcells system. He's not really that big (5-8, 223) and was a very poor pass blocker, often wiffing on blocks that led to our quarterbacks getting obliterated or forced out of the pocket and into bad throws.

You see, this is when being a slave to so-called measurables gets in the way. Chatman was a bowling ball of a RB, tough as nails and hard to bring down.

emeraldfin is right. It makes no sense not retaining him for a run first offense.

As for Booker, why not put him in the slot to create mismatches if he's so frail? Boy that Dante Hall was one hell of an imposing figure in that run first KC offense all those years... Plus he was a tackling machine on coverage units right? Right?

To those who would rather die than question the great BP, see what I'm getting at? This is not the 80s in the NFC East's three yards and a cloud of dust. You don't get rid of talent, and if you do make sure you get real value. When Westbrook goes down again (sorry Eagles fans) and Booker shines will you still champion Parcells' system?

Meggett was 10 times tougher than Booker.. Booker has never shown to be a tough inside runner even in college. Meggett, during his college years did show that he can run inside and attack the line, and that transformed into the NFL.

Meggett had balls for his size and blocked for his QB when needed. Another thing Booker simply cannot do.

These are some of the things Parcells liked in Meggett.. Heck, he even said it in his book.

Booker just isn't tough, he's way too shy. He is a fringe player who may see 3 or 4 plays a game and nothing more.. We did the right thing by getting rid of him for a much better return

Comparing Meggett and Booker is a fair comparison... The way that BP used him is exactly the way that Booker should be used... What you are talking about is character which is considered an intangible but the measurable skill set is the same. Both are multipurpose guys who could be used in a variety of ways to 'augment' a power attack... not replace... augment.

Let us remember the famous... Terry Glenn and 'girl-gate' issue when BP called him out before he had played a down... It was not until later that BP realized the importance of his skill set as well as the fact that he had 'character'... Now BP will trade for him on any team he has and he has become a BP fav. Don't recall an official apology from BP for that mistake either...lol.

Maybe we should think twice about unconditional support for someone who puts a premium on character yet has abandoned 3 franchises...

IM NOT ANTI BP... I just have LOVED the dolphins thru good and bad for years... And i feel it is BP who owes it to ME to prove he cares as much about this team as I do. Until then I reserve the right to question anything he does...

They traded Booker because he was too small....yet they signed a free agent that was smaller than Booker to be what... a Returner and receiver...Yea Boy!

"We spoke for 10 minutes and then he called me twice in the seventh round," said agent Joel Turner, who expects the Dolphins to use his client as a receiver/returner. "When the clock struck zero after the seventh round he called with an offer. He told me he scouted Jayson [on tape] personally. That shows me how important he is to that organization, when Coach Parcells, who I believe is as good a football mind that's ever been, shows that much interest.

"Every team in the NFL screwed up not drafting this kid. Miami will find out just how fortunate they are when they get the ball in his hands. He's the best player in America, better with the ball than [fourth-overall pick] Darren McFadden."

Parcells was clearly gauging interest in the 5-foot-8, 175-pound Foster, hoping he'd still be around so he could use his seventh-round pick on Arizona defensive tackle Lionel Dotson.

Foster, the recipient of the Walter Payton Award for being the top player in the Football Championship Subdivision with 1,844 rushing yards and 24 touchdowns, has been compared to the Redskins' versatile Antwaan Randle El.

Foster ran a 4.4-40 on grass at his Pro Day. As a receiver in 2006 he had 33 catches for 368 yards with three touchdowns. In 2005, he gained 1,481 yards with 21 touchdowns at 6.2 yards a clip.

"Some times you can slide through the radar," Foster said of the draft snub.

Foster and Bess have been told they will compete for kick return roles, an indication the Dolphins are intent on lessening the workload of second-year receiver Ted Ginn Jr.

You see, this is when being a slave to so-called measurables gets in the way. Chatman was a bowling ball of a RB, tough as nails and hard to bring down.

emeraldfin is right. It makes no sense not retaining him for a run first offense.

Sorry man, but you're way off here. While Chatman did break some tackles (mostly on spin moves) he was not a good short-yardage runner (couldn't move piles) That was the biggest different between guys like Brown/Williams and Chatman, and that's why he's not coming back.

You can believe that Chatman was "a bowling ball of an RB" if you want, but that simply wasn't the case.

As for the Meggett comparisons, that occured in the 80s. Since then, Parcells has run offenses for both the Jets and Cowboys, and neither utilized a Meggett-type player.

Using him in the slot would have been nice, but clearly, they felt that there was room for only one smallish receiver, and his name is Ginn.

Sorry man, but you're way off here. While Chatman did break some tackles (mostly on spin moves) he was not a good short-yardage runner (couldn't move piles) That was the biggest different between guys like Brown/Williams and Chatman, and that's why he's not coming back.

You can believe that Chatman was "a bowling ball of an RB" if you want, but that simply wasn't the case.

As for the Meggett comparisons, that occured in the 80s. Since then, Parcells has run offenses for both the Jets and Cowboys, and neither utilized a Meggett-type player.

Using him in the slot would have been nice, but clearly, they felt that there was room for only one smallish receiver, and his name is Ginn.

I guess you didn't read the above article...concerning the free agent pickup of Foster...and Hugo...perhaps you know..but didn't C. Martin play for Parcells? Martin wasn't a big back.

I think this BP 'system' thing is very misleading since the obvious first implication is that Bill only appreciates huge players... So the argument about Booker immediately boils down to 'he was small'... but while he likes his players on the line HUGE he is not afraid of smaller skilled players... I think that in a change of pace, throw out of the backfield capacity, all purpose yard guy... Bill passed on Booker too quickly. These guys can be valuable and Parcells success with Meggett proves it. Is he a luxury we could not afford is maybe the better question...

Truth is when I glance at all the Udfa's we are bringing in the one thing that jumps out at me (non line players) is speed and elusiveness... Seems they are shopping for a 'Booker-type' lol.

I guess you didn't read the above article...concerning the free agent pickup of Foster...and Hugo...perhaps you know..but didn't C. Martin play for Parcells? Martin wasn't a big back.

There you go taking things out of context.

Foster is a FA pickup and will likely be little more than a special teams player, not a key cog in our offense.

As for Curtis Martin, please tell me that you're not comparing him to either Lorenzo Booker. He was a workhorse running back and a borderline Hall of Famer for god's sake.

My statement was that Parcells has not used a Meggett-type back since his days with Giants. Please don't tell me that you consider Martin, who thrive in situations were he got 20 carries or more per game, with Megget, who averaged less than 10 per game.

Completely agree... We all know what BP looks for in a player. He was never one for the flashy speedy quick guys. He like his powerful, smack you in the mouth style runners, and thats not Booker. You can also see this in the differences between BP offensive line and Cam offensive line... They are both on opposite sides of the spectrum.. Cam liked lighter, quicker, more athletic types, where BP wants the big, bulky, smash you around type guys...

Two COMPLETELY different systems

Really so what about Dave Meggett? Parcells must have really hated that little speedy 3rd down back. I mean absolutely hated him so bad that Parcells brought him to New England to punish Dave for not being the big pounder, and when David didn't get killed there, Parcells brought him to the Jet's.

Seriously guys, BP likes football players, he doesnt give a crap about size and weight. He does prefer his lineman to be big, but skill positions he plays the best players that fit what ever system his OC is putting in.

Really so what about Dave Meggett? Parcells must have really hated that little speedy 3rd down back. I mean absolutely hated him so bad that Parcells brought him to New England to punish Dave for not being the big pounder, and when David didn't get killed there, Parcells brought him to the Jet's.

Seriously guys, BP likes football players, he doesnt give a crap about size and weight. He does prefer his lineman to be big, but skill positions he plays the best players that fit what ever system his OC is putting in.

Meggett did have two fairly productive seasons as a complimentary running back in New England but tailed off and was a non-factor in his last season there and was even more of a non-factor in New York.

Other than Meggett (who helped Parcells win a Super Bowl) Parcells has never utilized a true scatback.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here. Are you trying to say that Parcells didn't think Booker was talented enough to contribute? I doubt that seriously, considering the fact that he got a fourth-rounder for him.

The bottom line is that while Booker might end up being a nice complimentary back in Philadelphia, he simply did not fit what Parcells is trying to build here in Miami. That and Parcells knew that he could get a mid-round pick for him, which he promptly cashed in for a promising offensive line prospect.

This wasn't about Booker's lack of ability. It was about doing what was best for the franchise.

This is going to come back and bite us in the fanny, LB was one of the few bright spots from last season.

There you go taking things out of context.

Foster is a FA pickup and will likely be little more than a special teams player, not a key cog in our offense.

As for Curtis Martin, please tell me that you're not comparing him to either Lorenzo Booker. He was a workhorse running back and a borderline Hall of Famer for god's sake.

My statement was that Parcells has not used a Meggett-type back since his days with Giants. Please don't tell me that you consider Martin, who thrive in situations were he got 20 carries or more per game, with Megget, who averaged less than 10 per game.

The thread was about system...correct? The idea hugo is do all players that Parcells has on his roster..or have played with him...large...or is that error? Meggett was a special teams player...he was used just like Booker was and would have been used...as far as the free agent pick up...again...does it matter...does he fit Parcells type of player...if he does...then the idea again of booker not being a Parcells type player...doesn't pass the truth test, especially when you see he only weighs 175 lbs.

C. Martin never weighed more than 205 lbs...yet he was as you mentioned a darn good running back...yet he didn't fit the Parcells type...or as we now must see...what fans think a Parcells type should be.

The reason why Booker was traded was because he could be traded...and it helped the cause...nothing more.

We traded from our strength to fix our biggest weakness, the OL.

The thread was about system...correct? The idea hugo is do all players that Parcells has on his roster..or have played with him...large...or is that error? Meggett was a special teams player...he was used just like Booker was and would have been used...as far as the free agent pick up...again...does it matter...does he fit Parcells type of player...if he does...then the idea again of booker not being a Parcells type player...doesn't pass the truth test, especially when you see he only weighs 175 lbs.

C. Martin never weighed more than 205 lbs...yet he was as you mentioned a darn good running back...yet he didn't fit the Parcells type...or as we now must see...what fans think a Parcells type should be.

The reason why Booker was traded was because he could be traded...and it helped the cause...nothing more.

That is a very important distinction.

P.S. I cannot wait to see a healthy Ronnie Brown and/or Ricky Williams running behind our revamped and behemoth offensive line!!!!!!

Amen!:woot:

Is it september yet?

Oh and to the thread....we traded who? booker? I heard parcells doesn't like that name. All bookers must be gone.

It was a guy who at the end of the year who showed a few plays that he could gain some yards in nothing games. Not sure why everyone is so down on getting what a 4th for him? Steal. Great move.

As much as there's talk about him not fitting the system, I don't think that's entirely the case. Parcells and Co probably would have liked to have kept them, but after having traded away our 4th in the very rewarding Akin and Fasano trade the organization must have felt that going the entire 4th round without a pick in a talent laden draft is unacceptable. Murphy may become a long time starter for us. Who else do we have that has enough value to net us a 4th? Besides we were probably targeting Jayson Foster for awhile and he may be able to give us what Booker could have given us without costing a draft pick and at less money.

Back
Top Bottom