BooM or Bust Mock | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

BooM or Bust Mock

It's an interesting concept because I typically see the label of "boom-or-bust" a little differently than most people. For example, I don't see Tank Carridine as much of a boom-or-bust player at all. Nor Stedman Bailey.

Cordarrelle Patterson is a boom-or-bust player in some ways. But only relative to price tag. He has a skill set that will see him playing football in the NFL for a long time, even if he doesn't end up very good. Think Ted Ginn. Six years later, Ted Ginn is playing in the Super Bowl. But overall, I see what people mean about Patterson being boom-or-bust so I'll accept it.

Let me try one. But I'm not basing it on CBS' projections because I feel they're pretty far off on a lot of players.

R1. DE Barkevious Mingo, LSU - A little more "bust" than "boom", IMO...but he exemplifies "boom or bust" because he's a fairly one-dimensional pass rusher whose one dimension is not very well proven and seems to have come up short on Saturdays more often than not.

R2. WR Terrance Williams, Baylor - He is a guy I like but the fact of the matter is, if he does not end up a consistent vertical threat at the next level, then he is in trouble as a wide receiver. His all-around game is decent for the kind of deep threat player he is, but not good enough to make a living. You're buying him because you think he can get behind defenses and finish deep plays.

R2. G/T Oday Aboushi, Virginia - Oday is definitely not going to play left tackle at the next level and there's a fair question whether he'll even play right tackle. This means you're stuck switching him to guard and considering his lack of experience there, what you could come out with is an entirely uninteresting player, or a guy that kills it. Total wildcard.

R3. RB Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina - This is the REAL injury-related "boom or bust" player in this Draft, not Tank Carridine, IMO. Lattimore's knee injury was as gruesome as I've ever seen. Yet, James Andrews calls his recovery rate from it "Nothing short of a miracle". Do you believe Andrews? Well, he certainly called it right on Drew Brees' shoulder when he gave him a prognosis of full recovery, even as critics said Brees had a 20-25% chance of recovery. When Lattimore was healthy you could argue he was the best tailback in college football bar none.

R3. DE Margus Hunt, Southern Methodist - The ultimate "boom or bust" prospect. Unbelievable physical tangibles, but in the form of a 26 year old that disappears against good competition, is inconsistent and still raw because he's only been playing football a few years.

R4. FS Baccari Rambo, Georgia - Rambo is your typical "boom or bust" player in the secondary because he makes a LOT of plays (16 career interceptions, 6 forced fumbles, 3 TDs and a Blocked Kick)...but he also takes a lot of chances and gives up big plays, and does some stupid things on the field sometimes. He plays like a punk. But a talented punk.

R5. TE Joseph Fauria, UCLA - I still have a hard time believing he falls even this far let alone to the 7th round as CBS has him. We'll see. He's a basketball player type of tight end that is great with the football in the air, particularly good near the end zone, but he's duck footed and has terrible pad level and technique in blocking. He will either be Jimmy Graham or Michael Egnew.

R7. CB Tyrann Mathieu, LSU - A staple in any "boom or bust" draft for all of the obvious reasons. Take aside the habitual drug use, his problem has been about reliability and trust, not necessarily just the drug use. And even aside from that, he's tiny and doesn't run fast and you can't be sure he'll succeed either as a corner or a safety.

R7. QB Nick Florence, Baylor - One of the few quarterbacks in this draft with the feet and athleticism you're looking for nowadays at the position, and he also shows at times an ability to make quick decisions that hurt a defense. He was fantastically productive in Baylor's offense, nearly as productive as Robert Griffin. Yet he's only 6'0" and his arm strength is questionable. Don't confuse him with Russell Wilson, but some of the criticisms and strengths between Wilson and Florence are similar.

If we could trade down and still pick up C. Patterson or K. Allen, I am all for it. I just would be mad if we were there to pick at 20 and both of them were gone....I would also be willing to maybe move down THREE spots to #15, for an extra third rounder, or a second rounder next year.

I like the draft...

I would not mind if the Giants put a 1st round tender on Cruz to trade our 1st for him. But I am a fan of Patterson for sure and hope if we stick with our #1 that we use it on him. I do think Patterson will be taken in the Top 15, so a trade down is risky for sure.

Round One best player available
Round two A BPA
Round two B BPA
Round three A BPA

This how you win don't draft for need draft for value

i agree to a point.
if it so happens when we are on the clock that the BPA is a QB i think we pass
and you have to fill needs or they will always be needs

I'd be fine with rds 1-4 with BPA, as long as I got my WR in free agency. If we don't stretch the field next year it's back to 8 in the box.

I've seen better.........jus kiddin'....that's a Killer Draft. The trade down and still pick up Patterson would be the "perfect world" scenario I envisioned for this team.

Back
Top Bottom