Boomer.. Fill me in on some of these WR's.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer.. Fill me in on some of these WR's..

RUDEbyallMEANS

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Boomer.. Let me know what you think of WR Lamar Slade from Pittsburgh.. This is from "On The Clock".. Sounds like a good prospect..

6'4" - 209 lbs
4.56 Estimated 40
649 Yards - 13.5 Yards/Rec 4 TD

He went largely unnoticed by most of the country due to Pitt’s frosh phenom, Larry Fitzgerald. (Who is a future super star.) Slade is big, pretty fast, very quick, strong and smart. He had 50 receptions as a senior for a very good Pitt team. He catches with his hands and runs very good routes. He was a major reason behind Fitzgerald’s success. Teams were worrying about Slade early in the season and it allowed the Frosh to excel. Slade was part of the three man rotation for his first three years and he had a lot of receptions. He has perfect size and he knows how to use his very good quickness to beat DB’s at the line. He is a good athlete, not a great one, but a good one. He is extremely solid in most aspects of his game. He drives DB’s back and drops his hips and cuts very nicely. He extends his arms and attacks at the line. Sometimes, he gets off balance. He swivels his hips and he has very good footwork. He has big hands and he almost never drops a pass. He’s not selfish and he puts the team first. He drops his hips and gets get leverage while blocking. He’s very strong and is able to stay on blocks longer than most WR’s. He has a 35 inch vertical jump and he times his jumps real well. He is very focused and will often come down with the ball in groups because of sheer strength and focus. He is extremely valuable inside because of quickness and strength and he knows how to use his body to keep DB’s at bay. He’s not a true deep threat but he is so quick that he can really juke a guy and get past him on out and ups. He is very dependable, focused and he makes his share of plays. He runs good routes and he is constantly working hard. He is pretty good after the catch because he can string together moves. He is a good athlete and there is little that Slade cannot do, overall. Having said that, he isn’t a big play maker. Although he is dependable, he doesn’t score many touchdowns. He isn’t a true deep threat and good CB’s wont bite on his up fakes. He is a very good receiver but he has only been a full time starter for one year and he still needs time to adjust to real fast DB’s. He works hard but he has a very easy going demeanor and he doesn’t fight hard enough sometimes. This receiver is quick, strong, smart and he has good hands and jumping skills. He is excellent all the way around and is self motivated but he isn’t super or spectacular. He will be a very good #3 receiver who can become a very good #2 receiver. With good workouts he could move way up, he’s that good.

Also, Let me know what you think of WR Anton Paige from Texas Tech and WR JR Tolver from San Diego State.. Thanks..

HOORAH:drinker:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no Boomer, but I can tell you something he will tell you..

LATE-ROUNDERS..

CO84..That's obvious... but are they possible steals in the late rounds?? Really like what I hear on Lamar Slade who is listed at 6'4". Just wanted to know about his game if anyone has seen him play.. and I'm guessing Boomer has...
:drinker:
HOORAH

"He swivels his hips and he has very good footwork. He has big hands and he almost never drops a pass. He’s not selfish and he puts the team first. He drops his hips and gets get leverage while blocking. He’s very strong and is able to stay on blocks longer than most WR’s. He has a 35 inch vertical jump and he times his jumps real well." Those are the most intriguing attributes in a WR especially saying that he's REALLY QUICK... May be a steal in 5th round or 4th.. whichever he's projected to go..
:drinker:
HOORAH

I'm now reading a profile on WR Billy McMullen from Virginia and I also really like what I hear from this kid from "On The Clock"..

6'4" - 212 lbs
4.53 Estimated 40
894 Yards - 13.0 Yards/Rec 3 TD

"McMullen has wonderful size and desire to play the game and that is what really sets him apart. He is an absolute warrior who will do anything to win. He is a long strider with very deceptive speed and acceleration. He has very fluid and even movement and running skills. He is quick into and out of his cuts. But he has some wasted motion and could be quicker. This is the best receiver Virginia’s put out since Herman Moore in 1991. Nothing about this player is awesome except his intensity. He is very consistent and extremely smart. He knows how to position himself to where he is the only one who can get to the ball. He is a good athlete that works very hard at being a good receiver. He catches passes with his hands and he has very long arms that he uses to reach up and snag passes. He runs very good routes and he watches a lot of film. He outworks most defenders. He has long legs and occasionally looks awkward in his cuts, but he is quick and his gawkiness is rare. He doesn’t have deep speed and he doesn’t have a second gear. He doesn’t have awesome movement skills in the open field. He can look to forced at times, almost mechanical. He has great hands, and they’re very big. He has incredible size and very good receiving skills. He never fumbles and he never double clutches a pass. He can go up with three guys hanging on him and pluck a ball out of the air. He has good leaping ability and he always gives great effort. This player reminds me a lot of Ed McCaffrey. He is persistent, consistent, athletic, big, strong, tough, and several other adjectives. He is fiery and his teammates love to be on the field with him. He makes big plays because of his size and determination. Although nothing incredible stands out about McMullen, he is an extremely solid football player. He’ll play a possession type position in the NFL but he’ll be a quality player wherever he goes. Again, this is one of those players that will make an impact as a rookie. He is just too determined to not have an effect ASAP."

Once again.. If anyone seen this kid play.. Your thoughts needed..

HOORAH:drinker:

McMullen

McMullen will be a great WR. Well, I'll say solid anyway. After his Jr season, most were predicting great things about him. Was selected to be ACC MVP his Sr season. He is VERY physical, and has great leaping ability. Always seems to attract the best DB, and still create distance. He suffered his Sr season because his QB graduated, and UVa had a solid running game (lead by two frosh and a soph). He has definitely fallen off many's radar. If we can pick him up in the 5th, he'll be the steal of the draft. Definite similarity to OG.

I'm a UNC boy myself, so I'm partial to one name that I've haven't heard mentioned here... Sam Aiken. This kid is a true steal. Kid has "SLEEPER" tatoo'd across his stomach. He played in the NC/SC high school all-star game without an offer. After he showed out, everyone wanted to talk to him. He went to UNC, and didn't do much until his Jr season. His season Sr he broke the UNC record for most yards receiving. Talk about always making the grab. This kid wouldn't drop a a football if his hands were covered in vaseline. Some teams have started to take notice. I know the Jets are interested. PLEASE don't let him go there!!! He'll eat us alive for years, and I can't pull against him!!!!

Mbbransc.. thanks for the reply.... Everything I know about receivers in this draft are from what I read...except from Andre Johnson.. So insight from a person thats seen some of these guys play are well wlecomed.. Lamar Slade and Mcmullen should be mid-late round steals from what I read.. and they have the size Norv Turner loves... just got to wait 1 more week...

hOORAH:drinker:

Rude, Slade is a FA. He really has never done a thing for me. He's a very poor man's Oronde Gadsden. He might do a job as a third down guy because he has good size and can position himself well in front of the DB. He has solid hands which should get him a look in someones camp. Larry Fitzgerald is a stud, BTW. Anton Paige is another guy I am not keen on - Wes Welker is the best receiver on the Tech team - whilst Tolver is very productive, possession guy. He plays in an offense that suits his style and you wonder how productive he'll be at the next level. He's strong, but isn't fluid in his routes, he's not quick in and out of his breaks, and he has a tendancy to turn up the field to make yards before he has the ball and then drops it. He also fights the ball at times. He's not quick and probably not one for us.

As for Wilber McMullin, well the first thing you notice is that he's huge. He has great size and really gets off the line in a hurry, which impresses me. He uses his frame well to get the ball and makes every grab with his hands. He changes direction well for such a big guy, has excellent hands, but when you watch him, I get disappointed with the other parts of his game - he rarely carries out a run fake with any great passion and his blocking is generally very poor for a man of his size, something that's vital with Robert Ford's group. To have that size and strength and to use it so poorly is a shame, especially when you see how physical he is when the ball is in the air. He looks to play faster than he times and he can get down the field. He's probably a late 3 early 4. He's a very interesting proposition for us, especially if we can get an extra 3rd, as he has the hands/size combo that we like.

As for Aiken, he's a possession reciever. A #2/3 at the next level and is too similar to what we have. He's pedestrian off the line, he talks too much trash, and he's an average blocker. At the Senior Bowl practices he was quick in and out of his breaks, something I've never seen with him in his games.

Unlikely. He's too raw to make a contribution for the 1st 2 seasons. Plus, he flatters to deceive. He runs choppy routes and has had dropsie problems. Then he gets to the Senior Bowl and takes his shirt off and shows off a great physique, then works out well, jumps well, lifts well and all of a sudden he's a late 1, early to mid 2. I would be exceptionally disappointed if we drafted him at 49.

Sorry Al....I like Kevin Curtis, Bobby Wade in 3, Doug Gabriel, I like the long range potential of Arnaz Battle, I'ma big fan of Anquan Boldin. Those would be my guys. I don't mind McMullen and Kelly could be a difference maker if he took his finger out of his asss.

Back
Top Bottom