Boomer/KB -- Arrington? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer/KB -- Arrington?

Shouright

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
After his stats from yesterday, where do you see him going? They were comparing him to Napoleon Kaufman on TV, but I think he's a lot more hard-nosed. I'd really like to land this guy somehow. If we end up with either Smith or Rodgers with the #2 (instead of Brown), I'd feel pretty good getting Arrington later on.

I'm not as concerned about his size as some are. He's only 5'9", but at around 215, he's a very bulky 5'9". A lot of that bulk is in his legs as well, which is one of the biggest aspects of a runner that I look for. A strong lower body and being able to transition the explosion from the lower body to the upper body is the biggest indicator of a runner's ability to gain yards after contact. I believe he will go in the third round area. I wouldn't quite compare him to Napolean Kaufman, but I also wouldn't go to the extreme of comparing him to Emmit Smith, whom he is built a lot a like. I think he is going to be a similar runner to Travis Henry, though Henry is a little bit bulkier.

Thanks KB -- I saw him on a drill yesterday where he changed direction VERY smoothly without losing ANY speed. It really looked good. He also ran a 4.4 40. Plus, Barry Sanders was 5'9"....

Yeah, he reminds me a lot physically of Mewelde Moore, but a little faster.

shouright said:
After his stats from yesterday, where do you see him going? They were comparing him to Napoleon Kaufman on TV, but I think he's a lot more hard-nosed. I'd really like to land this guy somehow. If we end up with either Smith or Rodgers with the #2 (instead of Brown), I'd feel pretty good getting Arrington later on.
I watched a ton of Cal games the last two years since I was watching Rodgers, and Arrington was outstanding this year. I'd be happy getting him in the 3rd round, but I have some concerns about him...

1. He didn't play at all until his junior year and he was only average his junior year. This was his first season as a starter and he was the 2nd best running back on his team (Marshawn Lynch is better and will be a better pro IMO).

2. He never had to play against a defense focused on stopping him. All season defenses were worried about Rodgers and the Cal passing game, which really opponed up a lot of gaping holes for Arrington to run through. He never faced 8 men in the box like Benson.

3. He's not a very good receiver or blocker.

4. He looked very average in the senior bowl. I know you can't put too much stock in a college all star game, so it's not a huge concern. But I was surprised at how poorly he played in that game.

General Tso said:
1. He didn't play at all until his junior year and he was only average his junior year. This was his first season as a starter and he was the 2nd best running back on his team (Marshawn Lynch is better and will be a better pro IMO).

this a great fear. the same kind of thing for david boston. one great year, you don't know if its actual talent and skill or just a good time and situation. with only one good year under his belt, how good is he going to be long term?

2. He never had to play against a defense focused on stopping him. All season defenses were worried about Rodgers and the Cal passing game, which really opponed up a lot of gaping holes for Arrington to run through. He never faced 8 men in the box like Benson.
another good concern. especially with our team not being a passing threat, we need a RB who can put up the yards with teams expecting it.

4. He looked very average in the senior bowl. I know you can't put too much stock in a college all star game, so it's not a huge concern. But I was surprised at how poorly he played in that game.
to me this is huge. while it is only one game, what it shows is how they "show up" at big games. he's not alone though - Benson and Arrington didn't show up at their bowl games. Brown and Cadillac did though.

KB21 said:
I'm not as concerned about his size as some are. He's only 5'9", but at around 215, he's a very bulky 5'9". A lot of that bulk is in his legs as well, which is one of the biggest aspects of a runner that I look for. A strong lower body and being able to transition the explosion from the lower body to the upper body is the biggest indicator of a runner's ability to gain yards after contact. I believe he will go in the third round area. I wouldn't quite compare him to Napolean Kaufman, but I also wouldn't go to the extreme of comparing him to Emmit Smith, whom he is built a lot a like. I think he is going to be a similar runner to Travis Henry, though Henry is a little bit bulkier.
A slightly faster Emmitt Smith...We do think alike at times Keith. I'm wondering what Jerry Jones is thinking right now? Hmmm?

KB21 said:

He is built alot like Barry Sanders. By no means is he the caliber a runner as Barry, but their size and build are very much alike.

I can't see the comparison to Barry. Arrington is not known to have incredible moves, if he reminds me of any runner it might be Clinton Portis.

General Tso said:
I watched a ton of Cal games the last two years since I was watching Rodgers, and Arrington was outstanding this year. I'd be happy getting him in the 3rd round, but I have some concerns about him...

3. He's not a very good receiver or blocker.

Any running back that can do what he did...is good enough for me.

2018 yds for the season...against USC...he ran 21 carries for 112 yds...5.3 ypc avg...what did the Sooners running backs do in their bowl game? 12 games with 100 yds at least....what more can he do...carry Rodgers on his back?

Jaj said:
I can't see the comparison to Barry. Arrington is not known to have incredible moves, if he reminds me of any runner it might be Clinton Portis.
JJ ARRINGTON
clear.gif
Running Back
California
Senior
5'10 | 215 | 4.51*

HOME TOWN: Rocky Mount, NC
HIGH SCHOOL: Northern Nash

*unofficial 40 time, AP Photo QUICK STRENGTHS: lateral quicks, lower body strength, receiving
QUICK WEAKNESSES:
experience
NFL COMPARISONS:
Explosive upfield runner who doesn't have great height but has great lower body strength much like the Bills' Travis Henry.

clear.gif
[size=-1]JUCO transfer from the College of the Canyons who spent one year backing up Adimchinobe Echemandu. In that year, Arrington started a few games when Echemandu was down and showed his talent. He got the starting nod as a senior and turned in a spectacular senior season earning a Doak Walker Award nomination.[/size]

clear.gif
Arrington is a shorter, stocky back who runs low to the ground. He has great upfield explosiveness and a good burst through the hole. He has only been the starter for one year, but in a short time, he has shown very good run instincts. Arrington has outstanding lateral quickness. He does a good job of seeing the hole and he slides into them well. Once in the open field, Arrington shows above average elusiveness and good enough breakaway speed to outrun most defenders. As an inside runner, he has great power and is strong in his lower body. He has outstanding balance and is tough to bring down with just arm tackles. He is a bit undersized, and although compact, he isn't a true bruiser inside. Arrington is definitely more of an inside slasher, and isn't as good of a runner to the outside. He is a good pass receiver with solid hands and he uses them to catch the ball.

clear.gif
Arrington just hasn't seemed to receive that much credit for what he's done. He was one of the nation's best running backs as a senior and before that, he showed promise anytime he got a chance. There isn't a lot Arrington does wrong and he has all the tools to be an NFL feature back. 2nd/3rd Round.

fishypete said:
Any running back that can do what he did...is good enough for me.

2018 yds for the season...against USC...he ran 21 carries for 112 yds...5.3 ypc avg...what did the Sooners running backs do in their bowl game? 12 games with 100 yds at least....what more can he do...carry Rodgers on his back?
Rodgers was a major reason Arrington and Lynch had so much success this season, not the other way around. Defenses weren't worried about stopping Arrington.

Arrington had a great college season, but I don't think he'll see the big holes in the NFL that he had this year. In the senior bowl he didn't do well when the line didn't open up wide running lanes for him.

General Tso said:
Rodgers was a major reason Arrington and Lynch had so much success this season, not the other way around. Defenses weren't worried about stopping Arrington.

Arrington had a great college season, but I don't think he'll see the big holes in the NFL that he had this year. In the senior bowl he didn't do well when the line didn't open up wide running lanes for him.
What running back did excell in the senior bowl? NONE. Maybe Rodgers isn't as good as you think....Rodgers didn't carry the ball, he didn't open up any lanes...and he sure can't run for 2000 yds. Like I said...when you run against the champs...and run for over 100 yds...and for a great average...you have nothing to prove.

Back
Top Bottom