Boomer..question on Drew Henson | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer..question on Drew Henson

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Yeah and even if you pick him this year with a 7th, it won't matter because you'd have to entice him to sign with you. He would have tons of leverage in those negotiations because he could just tell you to screw off, he'll re-enter the draft this time with everyone knowing he's going to become a football player, and he'll go in the top 10 because apparently the top 10 is where he was slated to go if he didn't do baseball. So in that scenario one thing that stands in the way is the cap you can spend on rookies, which wouldn't allow a team like us to pay him like a top 10 pick in the draft or anywhere close...and therefore he would just be like cya.

The other thing is as a 7th round pick, there might be problems with trying to give him a contract way above 7th round pick market.

That logic simply does not work since a player who has been out of football for several years will not garner the same kind of attention and draft status as he did prior to his leaving the game. Henson will have been out of football for close to four years by the time this season rolls around and there is no way that any team would take a flyer on this guy in the first round, especially not in the top 10! Even if he decided to declare his love for football today and decided to enter the draft, he would be no better than a third round pick due to the fact that he's exceptionally rusty, scouts have no way to evaluate his current football talent level since they will have no recent tape of him playing, and there's no telling whether or not he still has the same kind of football talent he once had.

The best example I can give of this is Dave Ragone. Here's a guy who was a consensus top 5 pick last year. He likely would be a Lion right now in lieu of Joey Harrington because he was considered that good. He decided to forego the draft and return for his senior year and he is now projected as a mid second rounder to an early first. Even though everyone knows that he can play and that he was playing behind what was possibly the worst O-line in the country last year, he is still no longer near the commodity he once was.

The same will be true of Henson. He is not top 10 talent anymore, and he is certainly not worth wasting anything but a 7th round pick on in this year's draft.

the Lions would...

Lions | Make Take a Chance On Henson - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
6:07 PT: The Detroit Free Press reports Detroit Lions president Matt Millen said Tuesday the team might take a chance on former Michigan QB Drew Henson on the second day of the NFL Draft.

On the Tim Brando show, the guest, I'm blanking on the name but he does the Fox Sports show w/ John Saunders, said that if Henson had announced he was coming out this year he would be neck and neck with Palmer.

i dont think hes coming out,would be a waste of a pick,hes getting too much money from the yanks and would be looking for big money..talk is around here is hes not going anywhere...

I think the Dolphins should waste a late pick on him because Yankees will be releasing him soon.He can't hit not even if his life depended on it.

Sure, a 7th rounder (considering we have like 40 of them) would be fine but anything above that is a complete and utter waste of a draft pick. I will LMAO at any team that does WASTE anything more than a 7th on a guy who has a 99% chance of not accepting any offer presented to him by the team that drafts him.

Wanny and Spielman are not idiots and, therefore, will not blow anything more than a 7th- if that- on this guy...guaranteed!

If he's available, he's worth the gamble in my opinion..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom